Right so I don't really have any friends that are good with computers and I need a bit of help.

So my mate just bought this laptop right and yesterdya we were putting some stuff on it and I gave him a few gb in video files, so he had 16 gb left on his HDD. But he thought these files were dud so he deleted them, but the problem is that there's still only this amount of space on the drive, but there are no files anywhere, and i can only account for about 2GB of this 14GB that's taken up.

So my quesiton is, where could this space have gone? Could it be that Windows thinks the space is still taken up but you would actually be able tput stuff in it?

Cheers for the help
you have no friends

full stop
2 ducks and a rabbi walk into a bar.
The rabbi enjoys a nice drink and the ducks are shooed out so that health services aren't called in.
The day proceeds as normal.
the operating system takes up quite alot of space, mine takes up 15gb i think
Quote by .arkness:.
I did it in the church confession booth. i jizzed all over the mesh in an attempt to hit the priest.
Yer I checked the recycle bin first thing and I've accounted for the space the OS takes up-It had 29GB free before we put these files on, and 16 after, but still only 16 after the files were deleted.
btw, i know him, so its all fine

anyway, have you tried rebooting the computer to see if its just not realised yet?
The rabbi enjoys a nice drink and the ducks are shooed out so that health services aren't called in.
Yer dude I tried that too (i tried the obvious first 'cause he's computer illiterate, although so am I atm )

EDIT:This is on Vista btw
No, bull****, XP takes up less than 1gb, If you buy a 150gb HD, you will only be able to use around 130-40gb, depending. This is for the file system. Help atal? lol
when in doubt, ask Google
runa defrag, try a disk cleanup.... then when that doesnt fix it i have no idea
just so i dont have to edit every post i make, let me clarify something I CANT TYPE WELL....thanks