I'm thinking about buying a TonePort GX tomorrow. Anyone using one of those? What's it like? Should I get it? Anything I need to know about before going ahead and buying it?
G&L Legacy Special -> Line 6 TonePort GX -> Gearbox\GR2

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
Id reccomend saving up and going for the UX1 instead.

The GX is ok.. but its a bit limited it doesn't have a mic or headphone jack which will come to annoy you when your getting into recording more.
It does have a headphone jack btw. Can't I simply record through the PC using some recording software? I have the money, I just don't think I need anything more than a guitar module emulator that I can record with on my PC.

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
If you just want to do it simply, go for the GX.

But use something like Audacity for recording. its much simpler than ABleton.
I hope theres no difference in tone wise between the UX1 and the GX, right?

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
nah not at all.

UX1 can do input gain and thats about it.

but you dont need to worry about that at a basic level.
Hey - I got a Toneport UX1. Its really good... Plug in and play really simply. Gearbox software is sweet - heaps of choices for tones, has a tone library which has an ok list of artists so you can kinda choose a few presets from there and save them into your own personal library.

Lots of effects. Came with Ableton Live Lite 6 so pretty much plug and play recording. No latency even on a pretty cheap laptop that i use.

Cant think of any downsides to it. I reckon its sweet. I got it for $200 NZ which is like $150 US.
Quote by Aldenté
nah not at all.

UX1 can do input gain and thats about it.

but you dont need to worry about that at a basic level.

Thanks but can you elaborate on the input gain thing?

Also, can I use Guitar Rig 3 through it?

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
I say get the UX1, i have it and Abelton Live Lite is very good, it has drum sounds and some MIDI synth stuff that your computer keyboard can control.

Audicity doesn't have that does it?

EDIT: the input gain is only for the Mic inputs, basically adds gain ( )
Quote by thellamaking
I say get the UX1, i have it and Abelton Live Lite is very good, it has drum sounds and some MIDI synth stuff that your computer keyboard can control.

Audicity doesn't have that does it?

EDIT: the input gain is only for the Mic inputs, basically adds gain ( )

Isn't that a software? I think I can pretty much torrent that off.

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
Yeah it is, but you'd need a security code and all that jazz. Try if you want, but i don't think it'll work
Quote by thellamaking
Yeah it is, but you'd need a security code and all that jazz. Try if you want, but i don't think it'll work

Haha, you have no Idea what stuff I can work around these days (I hope I don't get band for talking about warez like that)

So what's the actually difference between the GX and the UX1?

I was intending on buying a tube amp but I went for this in the end realizing I don't need one at this point hehe.

Which leaves me with a LOT of extra cash for a new axe. Now I figured, will a low end RG like mine sound any different than a JEM w/Dimarzios on a digital moduler like that? (Not intending to buy a JEM just using it as an extreme reference)

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
Last edited by m3k at Oct 9, 2007,
The UX1 has a mic input + gain, some extra moniter in + outs and comes with Abelton. And don't worry you wont get banned. You seen the Demenoid invite thread?
Haha I guess. By gain you mean I can't emulate gain modules? Or did I not get it right o.O;

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
It's something to with the Mic input, so the Mic adds gain (?) before it goes into the toneport. The modeling software (Gearbox) is all still there.
I have a Toneport UX2, and it's very nice for ease of use. I wish you could record more inputs at once though :/.

Pay for your software you cheap bastards.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Oh, I get it. So no difference in gain tone through the guitar. Good.

Well, that's it. I'm getting the GX tomorrow. Thanks guys! Will post sound clips.

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
Quote by m3k

Which leaves me with a LOT of extra cash for a new axe. Now I figured, will a low end RG like mine sound any different than a JEM w/Dimarzios on a digital moduler like that? (Not intending to buy a JEM just using it as an extreme reference)

Would be nice if someone answered this

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
I've got a GX, cool thingy. Not the most versatile toneport, but for some guitar/bass recordings it's cool.

But i really hate the Line 6 amp-mods... i hate Line 6 anyway... but this toneport was the only 'cheap' option :p
-------------------------------------------------
- Fender Strat (1988, Japan)
- Epiphone Les Paul (2008, Korea,)
- Epiphone Sheraton (1988, Korea)
- Morgan WG20GEN (2003, Norway)
and some stuff non-used stuff for sale/trade in the Netherlands
Just got it and it's awesoem!

Fender DG-19 Acoustic