For the two years I've been playing guitar, I've been using some crap practice amps. I am trying to get into a band, and I need a better amp. My dad said he would buy me one that I know has great distortion, and is at least 120w. I found one, the Crate FlexWave Series FW120HS 120W 4x12 Half-Stack. Exactly what I was looking for. My cousin told me that Crate amps with good distortion are great, and considering that my dad doesn't have enough to buy me a decent Marshall amp. So, is this a good amp to buy? Or should I keep looking?
First off, how much is your budget? Second, you don't need a half stack. Third, exactly what do you want to play? Give us that and we can recommend you some good combos.
Well, not higher than $500 is budget. I want to play alot of metal and rock, and with a clean sound as well. And why not a half stack?
Don't get a halfstack on a budget- they're crap, you don't need one, and for the money you can easily get a valve combo which will sound better, and will be louder than 120 SS watts.

What genres do you play?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
did u just like completly ignore me. the vox!!!!! GREAT OD, AWSOME CLEAN 11 different effects and styles. ITS LIKE AN AMP WITH AN AMP HEAD BUILT IN!!! ONLY 350$$$

dude i play rock and metal and i love this
Quote by pbuddyj
did u just like completly ignore me. the vox!!!!! GREAT OD, AWSOME CLEAN 11 different effects and styles. ITS LIKE AN AMP WITH AN AMP HEAD BUILT IN!!! ONLY 350$$$
dude i play rock and metal and i love this

Are you selling it by any chance?
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

A combo is easier to carry around than a half stack, and it really doesn't accomplish anything for you to get one. Check this out instead.
Last edited by ameer at Oct 9, 2007,
valveking + digitech bad monkey. and all combo amps are "like an amp with a head built in" except it's an amp with a speaker built in.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Guys, I thank you for the other things you are showing me, but my dad said he is never going to buy me anything thing guitar related again, I need at least a 120w amp. I need some power in it, with great distortion for current and classic rock and metal.
Quote by sXe170
I need at least a 120w amp

Trust me, if it's valve, you dont- 50 watts valve is deafening.
How much do you have again?
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

you fail to realise that a valveking (50w tube) is the equivalent of around 125 w solid state, you are looking at solid state amps. if you EVER manage to turn a valveking up full, you can say goodbye to your hearing and anyone else standing within a few metres away. 30w tube would easily get you by. stop thinking that wattage is everything, it isn't. I was actually playing at band practice yesterday with one of those marshall ms-2 amps (2 watts, very crap amp, but it's all i could bring) and i had it miced up to our p.a did the job easily
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Yngwi3
Trust me, if it's valve, you dont- 50 watts valve is deafening.
How much do you have again?

$500.
hmm...willing to go used?
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Not really. I want a brand new one, that I know will last for a very long time.

@Storm Bringer: I'm trying to use as less pedals as possible. Most of them rip right through batteries, and I get tired of changing them. That's why I hardly use my DS-1.
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
valveking + digitech bad monkey. and all combo amps are "like an amp with a head built in" except it's an amp with a speaker built in.

The Peavey Valve King 112 is really not a bad amp, it can do metal, but its best to use small amount of distortion pedal with low volume output and make the amp do more work , most people do not know how to set up amps these days
Quote by sXe170

Hmm...okay, but you're not going to get the best choices for $500 new. (I don't think- don't deal in $$$)
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

like i said VK + digitech bad monkey. that's ONE pedal, and get a power supply
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
If you go used you can get a much better amp than what you can new and most tube amps are built like tanks and will last forever.

Try looking for a used Mesa F-30 or F-50 combo, since you need cleans, very nice sounding amps. Don't be fooled by the 30/50 watt power, these amps are LOUD, I lent my new F-30 to a friend last weekend to play a show and it did wonders for his guitar sound, not to mention it was unmiced and still cut through the mix.

The Valveking is also a good choice if you only want a new amp, as is a B-52 AT-112 or AT-212, though I think they're a little over your budget. You could also go for a used Peavey 5150, it'll have all the gain you need and more, but its clean channel isn't the best unless you change the tubes or use a pedal on it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
For your budget and new you are directly in VK territory. I promise you as said you don't want to turn this thing up, your ears will bleed, your head will ache and the cops will be paying you a visit. Get the VK, if your parents will never buy you another amp again it will easily last until you graduate and get a job, and you will have good tone. Its a good amp and there is nothing else out there that can touch it for $449 unless you are willing to go used. The next choice with decent tone in your budget new are the 5 watt tube combos.
I'm reading your comments here, sXe, and here's my take: you're not ready for your last big purchase. You have no idea what you REALLY need, and your father is going to be throwing away his money on a piece of crap that you will get sick of long before it breaks down.

Quote by sXe170
I need at least a 120w amp. I need some power in it, with great distortion for current and classic rock and metal.

I'm not alone in that I gig with a 30W tube amp that I do not crank above 5 on the volume control. People on this site gig with 15W Fender Blues Jrs. You absolutely, unequivocally DO NOT NEED 120W. Know this, too: Every new $500 halfstack is garbage. Every single one.

Quote by sXe170

Buying new is no guarantee of quality, especially when you're buying new landfill. All of my amps were purchased second hand. It's the smart way to go to get the most for your money. i.e.: an amp that will be high quality and last a long time.

Quote by sXe170
@Storm Bringer: I'm trying to use as less pedals as possible. Most of them rip right through batteries, and I get tired of changing them. That's why I hardly use my DS-1.

One pedal? If changing batteries is such an effort, maybe you could get a power supply for it?

Quote by Storm_Bringer_
valveking + digitech bad monkey.

I'm not a huge fan of the VK, but if you have to go new, this is going to be your best suggestion.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.