Page 1 of 2
What do you consider to be the most underated effects?

I think my choice would have to be reverb. Not many people seem to use it and its such a simple effect but can add soooo much to your tone.
An incredible amount of people use it. I never ever have reverb completely off.

underrated - flanger, VH used it to awesome effect
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
I agree with the reverb.. Makes cleans like a bajillion times better.

But.. I'm quite fond of talkboxes.. Not enough to buy one but I think they're fun.
Definetly Flanger. Most people tend to go for a phaser, but Flanger has that oh so important Treble boost and Swirling effect that is absolutely FANTASTIC during a solo. My favorite FX at the moment =]
Flanger, hence why i went on a quest for a vintage one. Does wonders to both distorted passages to add aggression and character, and clean to make a shimmering interesting sound
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
compression. i <3 it
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
^ awesome for tapping
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Most effects are overrated IMO...I like to hear notes. Swirly things annoy me.
Tremolo and leslie pedals.
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
+1 to the leslie.

And compressors too.
Quote by Dog454
Zakk Wylde is a Viking, and history has proven that you cannot own Vikings, it's impossible.

POKER..UG
I like it when I get a certain tone with my CryBaby. What I mean is, move it until you can get SCREAMING harmonics! I have seen some pro's "lock" their CryBaby down with a piece of aluminum at that certain sweet spot and I can see why.

Chris
Phaser - Not a lot of people use it to full effect

Ring Modulator - Takes patience and skill but great once you learn how to use them.

Delay- Most just use it for solos but so much more it can be used for

and finally

SEQUNCED EFFECTS - Think Moog MuRF and Zvex Seek Wah, very awesome and hardly ever heard
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by IBANEZ_EDGE
Digitech Whammy

this is the worst, most overrated pedal. and completely pointless. people think morello is good cause he plays with one. Most underrated is probably fuzz, everyone knows about it but most people just use distortion instead
how about a slight auto-wah, zappa style. not a wah pedal, but a slight tiny auto wah is awesome. Oh yeah, and fuzz. everyone just throws on the heavy distortion these days. A touch of chorus can go very far as well.
Quote by s.r.v.
this is the worst, most overrated pedal. and completely pointless. people think morello is good cause he plays with one. Most underrated is probably fuzz, everyone knows about it but most people just use distortion instead

I don't even listen to morello and the pedal is far from pointless.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
i'd agree with fuzz. I think it's because most people like getting distortion boxes cause they are modelling their dirt sound after someone. Not many use fuzz, it's very unique and covers a very broad sonic spectrum
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Reverse delays. Combined with other effects such as a wah the possibilities are endless.
Quote by buckethead_jr
I didn't think they had metal in the 1790's

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
I was recently bought a Marshal Regenerator pedal and I don't like any of the effects.

Granted most of them are probably for use with the clean channel and I use mostly Overdrive.

Chorus, Phaser, Flange and something else it's got. Don't really like any of them!

Reverb and Wah is all I need really.

As for under rated... I have no idea!
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
Quote by s.r.v.
this is the worst, most overrated pedal. and completely pointless. people think morello is good cause he plays with one.

bull****, great pedal, but very hard to use correctly. I'm not a morello-fan, but man, the Whammy is awesome
-------------------------------------------------
- Fender Strat (1988, Japan)
- Epiphone Les Paul (2008, Korea,)
- Epiphone Sheraton (1988, Korea)
- Morgan WG20GEN (2003, Norway)
and some stuff non-used stuff for sale/trade in the Netherlands
+1 for volume and tone knobs. It depresses me to think that there are so many people who will only explore 1% of their guitar's tonal range by leaving them all at 10 all the time.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Aplanken
bull****, great pedal, but very hard to use correctly. I'm not a morello-fan, but man, the Whammy is awesome

Agreed completely, but I won't consider the Whammy underrated by any means.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Lol reverb is not underrated. Any type of distortion is overrated, distortion sounds like crap. A light overdrive is as far as I get.
I don't really use effects. I guess I just hate them. There's already a whole bunch of sounds in a guitar. And alot undiscovered, or unexplored techniques. If I have to use an effect it would have to be harmonizing, but it's not really that overrated, now is it? Delay is overrated. I hate it. I don't think reverb is underrated. I only use it on clean, sometimes for solos on lead also. Whammy pedals are a waste of money. Use harmonics :P.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Quote by ERA
What do you consider to be the most underated effects?

I think my choice would have to be reverb. Not many people seem to use it and its such a simple effect but can add soooo much to your tone.

Nearly everyone uses reverb.

I'd have to say treble boost, partly because of its name. People think all it does is add treble.
Quote by s.r.v.

Morello is god, but not solely because he uses a Whammy. He writes excellent music and is innovative. A Digitech Whammy is not completely pointless, it has many advantages IF you know how to use it correctly. The Whammy takes a lot of skill and one can either excel at using it or suck major ass and sell it without discovering its capabilities because they are lazy and just bought it to play Killing In The Name.

Though I may be foolish trying to alter your opinion because it sounds pretty concrete and you obviously don't own one so you will never know. As they say in the Four 'n' Twenty ad "They don't know what they are missin' out on".

I agree that fuzz is under-rated. Just lie the Whammy and Morello, most people get it to play Hendrix a few times.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
phase+flanger together. It sounds uber cool.
Phase and flange by themselves are underrated, IMO. People dont use delay to its full effectiveness, buckethead uses it good though. Rotovibe is hardly ever used too.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
a backed-off guitar volume to a fuzz face or similar devices... thats for the vintage tones...
and well, compressor...
Quote by tubab0y
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar. If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

Quote by s.r.v.

alright ill rephrase this. People think that Morello is crazy good after hearing him play a solo with a whammy pedal. I think it's lame, and the effect is stupid. I like green ringer's though, i dont mind a little octave, but whammy's are way overused. Fuzz and chorus are my votes. You should add a poll.
Page 1 of 2