Page 1 of 2
what is a bass boom?

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
isnt it a electric drum pad?

I guess you could always mute the string at the first fret that way you get a boomy sound each time you do it
. . .

WOW SH*T

My Axe: WarwickThumb
Im was guessing it was that bassy thud you hear in a lot of metal songs nower days usually at the beginning of a verse or bridge?
. . .

WOW SH*T

If you want to get a boomy bass sound, just raise the bass slighly and when you wan tthe boom play with a nit more force.

Though DON'T turn the bass up too much. 30 degrees will make all the difference.

Too much bass and your tone becomes mud.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
If you're talking about some really low-frequency, bassy sound found in a lot of electronic music, it's a synth.

It could also possibly be a sub-kick on a drum kit.
If your talking about when there is a break in a song, and there's a bass hit that drops in pitch, thats just the low tom on the drum set.

If your talking about a bass BOOST then, just bump the eq on your amp up, or buy one of those pedals that do it for you.
if your talking about the boom associated with rap, or hiphop. that is a kick drum, or tom, with lots of reverb added. unless the drums are mic'd, and pushing through a powerful P.A. it is impossible to produce live. unless of course you use a pre-recorded sound sample, like the rappers do. but that ain't no bass producing that boooom.
The best way to do it is to put ur head so noone can see it and go BOOM BOOM BOOM
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
it doesn't sound like floor toms.. it lasts pretty long.. the devil wears prada does it in their songs alot
If itsyellow let it mellow, if its brown flush it down.
Quote by GibsonGuitar176
it doesn't sound like floor toms.. it lasts pretty long.. the devil wears prada does it in their songs alot

Ha! I had the feeling this was exactly what you were talking about by bass boost. I have the CD and I know what your talking about.
Rhythm Harmony Melody
song title and time where I can find it? I have "A Beautiful Discord" on my computer. I don't really like them all that much, but I'll go find the part and see if I can figure out what you mean by "bass boost"
It sounds like he's sliding on a low C... they do that all throughout their first CD.

Just tune your bass to drop C, and slide form the 1st fret to around the 12th, and back.

edit: Actually, I don't know what you're talking about in that song.

at 1:50, thats a guitar part, if thats what you're talking about, but I don't think it is.

The sliding is something they used a lot in their first CD.
Last edited by BlueShox at Oct 9, 2007,
i haven't heard the songs yet, but your describing a synth(keyboard) bass, bending the tone up, then down. just a guess. sounds like a pre-recorded track, that is used in lots of modern music, like NIN. the keyboard/synth is the only way to get sub low frequencies to slide like a fretless.
Quote by MustangMan311
The original and real bass boom is done by an electronic drum machine, like the Roland TR-808.

Yep thats exactly it, korn uses it, lamb of god, chimaira.. Thats a few artists I can think of off my head that use electric drum thud samples.
. . .

WOW SH*T

Quote by MustangMan311
The original and real bass boom is done by an electronic drum machine, like the Roland TR-808.

yeah it sounded electronic, not from a bass
Quote by sictree
Yep thats exactly it, korn uses it, lamb of god, chimaira.. Thats a few artists I can think of off my head that use electric drum thud samples.

Korn and LoG use electronic drum samples? Since when?

Listen to Rob Zombie/White Zombie's "More Human than Human (Bambi in the King's Harem remix)" from 3:00 to 3:09 it's quite apparent. http://youtube.com/watch?v=hzExkW9NTH0
Quote by sictree

Job For a Cowboy, All Shall Perish, Between the Buried and Me two or three times on their new album, HORSE the Band uses them live, etc.
Devil Wears Prada is all my guitarist has been talking about for the past week. It gets rather annoying
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Quote by Charlatan_001
Korn and LoG use electronic drum samples? Since when?

Since a long time ago. Listen to dead bodies everywhere!! the intro... And even ball tounge off there first record. that was like 14 years ago lol.
I think it was ruin from log that has the thud at the bidge i think it was.
And reserection from Chimera has it in the intro!
. . .

WOW SH*T

Don't you hate it when a thread starter asks a very vague, ambiguous question and is barely around to clarify and answer questions? Does he really want to know the answer?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
The bass "boom" you hear is typicall done in the studios like people have said, electronically. It's used quite often by metal/hard/death-core bands before breakdowns. If you still don't know go and listen to basically any song off of Job For A Cowboys "Doom" EP. Some bands also do it live and like others have said, it's done with a sampling pad or drum machine. The best you can do in a band with no electronics is for the you and the drummer to get in sync and do a slide-bass drum/floor tom combo.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Quote by hatebreed219
The bass "boom" you hear is typicall done in the studios like people have said, electronically. It's used quite often by metal/hard/death-core bands before breakdowns. If you still don't know go and listen to basically any song off of Job For A Cowboys "Doom" EP. Some bands also do it live and like others have said, it's done with a sampling pad or drum machine. The best you can do in a band with no electronics is for the you and the drummer to get in sync and do a slide-bass drum/floor tom combo.

I must say, HORSE's use of them live is fantastic, and definitely adds to the way the song is presented. It's one thing to play a breakdown, but to feel it coming is awesome, and the booms add to them even if they are just another fifth chord breakdown.
the term "live" generally refers to sounds produced by the band on stage. pre-recorded tracks are not live. i have no problem with samples being used. for me, whatever it takes to get the sound, for a live performance, is ok. and it's not like lip sync, where you pretend your playing what is heard. but you are playing to a pre-recorded sample. to suggest that it is completly "live" is not true. to old school, live means live. if i'm going to a show, i accept the fact that there might be
"special effects" used, just like the movies. but there is a large opinion of, if you can't play it live, don't put it on the CD. the concert ticket buyers really don't care, or notice,
that some of the sound might be pre-recorded. but the musicians do notice. and either hate it, or accept it.
i accept it.

Edit: just a side note that will probably get flamed. Greenday realized that their American Idiot songs could not be produced live. so they included, the three studio musicians, 2 guitarists/vocalists, and 1, all around musician(horns, guitars, keys, and, vocals) on tour with them, rather than use samples. for that, they get my respect.
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Oct 11, 2007,
^ for those studio musicians, but alas, they didn't really change the general subject matter and lyrics of the song!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
^ for those studio musicians, but alas, they didn't really change the general subject matter and lyrics of the song!

LMAO!! actually rock & roll has been traditionally anti-war and, anti-establishment
since the '60's. peace, love, and rock&roll. i think it is still appropriate, whether i agree with it, or not. long live rebellious youth. i too, was once young and rebellious,
until the shear weight of the world, crushed my spirit. lol
do you mean bass boom as in

Gunfire in the street,
Where we used to meet,
Echoes outta' beat,
And the bass goes "BOOM!"

-The Good Soldier, Nine Inch Nails

'cuz thats ****in awesome!
Quote by SeveralSpecies
How the f*ck are you gonna get a cat to bark?

---------------------------5------8-----7-
----------------5-------------------------
------------------1-3-3-------/6----/5----
-1/3--1-1h3-------------------------------

Matt Freeman>You
i know what you mean, it plays hell with my earphones every time, they're in some A Day To Remeber songs, its definately an electric sound added in the mix

try getting one of the KAOSS pads or whatever they are, i think they have them programmed in
Quote by Nemesis260
police is logical. or do your duty and rape him back

GEAR:
Laney BH150
Marshall B150
Line6 Spider II 15
BOSS HM-2 Heavy Metal (80's!)
Epi SG Special
Peavey Milestone III
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
LMAO!! actually rock & roll has been traditionally anti-war and, anti-establishment
since the '60's. peace, love, and rock&roll. i think it is still appropriate, whether i agree with it, or not. long live rebellious youth. i too, was once young and rebellious,
until the shear weight of the world, crushed my spirit. lol

Rebellious youth? Bille Joe's 35!

Anyway yeah, they're anti-war, but I'm anti-****, so therein lies the problem.

But seriously, I'm not a fan of what turns out to be marketing political messages to kids. When I listen to music, I like to forget the problems of the world, but have them shoved back in my face. And besides, being political is fashionable. Which to me is very establishment. Make me anti-politics! About politics - you know, I know enough to say I don't know enough to say anything, you know what I'm saying?

But that's just me. Boom.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Last edited by thefitz at Oct 11, 2007,
Quote by MustangMan311
I must say, HORSE's use of them live is fantastic, and definitely adds to the way the song is presented. It's one thing to play a breakdown, but to feel it coming is awesome, and the booms add to them even if they are just another fifth chord breakdown.

Get the name right, they're HORSE the band
Quote by GibsonGuitar176
listen to "the scorpion deathlock", it happens at 1:43 and again at 1:50

you can probably find the song by going to www.projectplaylist.com

That sounds to me a lot like what's called a sub hit. Basically, that ultra-low sound is added during the recording process, but not played on a bass. It's likely to have come from an oscillator, or sine wave generator (like the 1st stage in producing a sound from a synthesizer) and then mixed in so that it blends with the mix.

Offhand, the only way I can think to replicate it with just a bass would involve flicking on and off a bass boosted EQ pedal.

Edit: Just realised the topic had a 2nd page, where the question was answered fully, making my post pretty redundant. Nevermind....
Last edited by Jateca at Oct 12, 2007,
Page 1 of 2