Stepping into the world of recording. Getting a few things in a couple of weeks microphone, mixer, interface, software etc

Anyway I was just wondering where the best place to place the microphone is (condenser mic) just infront of the grill, centre, etc?
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
If you're using only condenser microphones on your amp then you should keep them a few feet away from the amp. Condenser microphones can't handle high SPL and the signal will 'crack' if placed too close to the amp. You should use at least one dynamic microphone, close to the speaker cone and angled, never perpendicular to the sound energy. Then you could put the condensers further from the amp, even across the room, just to pick up high overtones and room noise.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
^ listen to that guy, he's pretty much got it sorted. I would deffinately buy a dynamic and put it up against the cone. i wuold angle it 45 degress and put it nearer the edge of the cone.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Quote by Muphin
If you're using only condenser microphones on your amp then you should keep them a few feet away from the amp. Condenser microphones can't handle high SPL and the signal will 'crack' if placed too close to the amp. You should use at least one dynamic microphone, close to the speaker cone and angled, never perpendicular to the sound energy. Then you could put the condensers further from the amp, even across the room, just to pick up high overtones and room noise.

Wow you sir get +1
Mic placement really all depends on what sound you wish to achieve and what sort of amp you are using to achieve that sound. Placing the mic perpendicular to speaker cone produces a very bright tone - which may be what you want on a rather dull amp. Placing the speaker at a 45 degree angle produces a less trebly sound - something you might want on an amp with ice-picky treble.

Let me reiterate - there are no set "positions" to place a mic around a speaker cone - one must move the mic around the cone (or room) until you get a tone you like - let your ears dictate when you have found the position you need.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

^Agreed, use your ears.

And many of today's condenser mics have pretty high SPL ratings, definately enough to record an amp at reasonable volume.
Agile AL-3100 (highly recommended)
SX SST57 strat copy
OE30 Hollowbody
SX fretless bass
Epiphone PR-200 acoustic
Yamaha G-40 classical
Epiphone Valve Junior head
1x12 custom cab
4x12 Behringer Half-stack

My Solo Stuff

My Band