After a year and 2 months of being self-taught im finally getting an instructor

I'm curious when you go in does the teacher ask you what u noe and crap? Also if you're self-taught did you ever get an instructor or stayed self-taught. I actually want a teacher because i want to be able to noe wat im playing rather than by tabs and saying oh this fret and that fret.
Get an english teacher.

They ask you what you already know so they know what to teach you in order for you to improve.

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
I've been playing for a long time, and I'm self taught, although I took a couple of lessons once...but it was expensive as ****!.

And yeah....he is going to ask what you know. He'll probable make you take a test.

And that "frets stuff"... I mean you could learn that over the internet IMO.
Member of the Grammar Nazi Club. PM Your41Plague12 to Join.

Member #6 of the Orange Tiny Terror Club
on the first class, it's common sense that the teacher asks you at what level you are. Otherwise he wouldnt know where to start.

as for me, I went from Extremely basic 2 month lessons to self-taught, took lessons, and now back to self taught. its good to now know what I'm playing AND being able to experiment.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

My Gear :

-Peavey HP Signature EX
-Fender 100H(Head) + Fender FM412 (Cab)
-GBX Custom Bug
-Dunlop Wah Pedal GCB-95
-Marshall GV-2 Plus
-Boss CS-3
-Behringer Digital Reverb DR100
Quote by Guitar_Dan_666
Get a english teacher.

They ask you what you already know so they know what to teach you in order fo you to improve.

You should get an English teacher as well.
two years self taught. and no intention of changing
GEAR
PRS Custom 24
Tanglewood ROCK III
Epiphone LP Custom
Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Ibanez GRG07LTD2
Marhsall AVT100
Originally posted by fender1618
i would rather have a guitar in place of my organs, OR CANDY
he'll probably be more interested in you theory knowlegde. which, based on your 2.5 years playing, is probably needing more improvement than your techique at the moment.
ehh
I've been playing for a little over a year and need to get a teacher for atleast a year so I can get into MI. If I didn't need it for MI, I would stay self-taught. Only 'cause i've been told i've progress rapidly for playing only one year.
~ Gear ~
Epiphone Les Paul
Crate GX-80
Quote by Guitarist132
Finish the quote

"This is _______"
Quote by Aqua Dementia
SPAAAAAAAARRRRTTTAAA! No?
Quote by Guitarist132
Incorrect, the correct answer was papua new guinea

Quote by Aqua Dementia
Whoa, I'm in your sig.
Last edited by monkeyboyjr at Oct 9, 2007,
i've progressed a lot and im pretty good for a self-taught person,but i want to get technical. also i'd like it for the person to give me songs to play and exercises than asking myself what song do i want to learn today that wont really help.
Not if you practiced proper technique.
Quote by Kensai
But they have to be sarcastic or something... or just messing around.

Surely people this dumb must've failed to breathe a long time ago.
yea thats wat everyone says,but im not sure wat bad habits i might have developed. i think the only thing so far is the way i do vibrato. most ppl anchor their thumb on the fretboard to do it and i dont anchor my thumb
Keep your thumb behind the middle of the neck, or farther (second is probably bad, but I lean towards middle towards the edge of the neck (thumb not showing).

Also don't anchor with your pinky on your right hand.
Quote by Kensai
But they have to be sarcastic or something... or just messing around.

Surely people this dumb must've failed to breathe a long time ago.
yea i leave my thumb in the middle and i've read thats the correct way,but i dunno y everyone does it the "wrong way"