Basically I want to get into the open mic 'scene' and need some good advice- what to do/not do, the best songs to do...that kinda thing.

I'm still getting the band together but I will definitely have a drummer and guitarist, with me on bass.

Also, could I get away with a solo bass song??

Any help appreciated!
Bohemian Rhapsody, some awesome piano parts. Not sure about a solo bass song though sorry.
anesthesia! you know you wanna!
BASSLINES TO MAKE YOUR CHEST CAVITY SHUDDER.
Most open mics ive been to have been at coffee shops so ive usually just sang and played my acoustic, though ive been to a few with full bands. It really all depends on your setting, i mean, nobody wants to listen to metal at a coffee shop and likewise, nobody is gonna want to listen to folk music at a dive bar
Quote by manyfingers
Most open mics ive been to have been at coffee shops so ive usually just sang and played my acoustic, though ive been to a few with full bands. It really all depends on your setting, i mean, nobody wants to listen to metal at a coffee shop and likewise, nobody is gonna want to listen to folk music at a dive bar

my metal band's planning on crashing an open mic at a coffee shop that I frequent. should be fun.

Hippie: "ZOMG you have to plug your guitar in? WTF?"
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
my metal band's planning on crashing an open mic at a coffee shop that I frequent. should be fun.

hahah please post pics of it
Looking for a new sig!
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya

dude, whenever you use electricity your promoting the man.

/hippy jokes

but really, thats what most of my local open mic's are, musician + guitar + singing. ive been looking into some lately but im not a very good singer...
ehh
Quote by skaguitarist53
dude, whenever you use electricity your promoting the man.

/hippy jokes

but really, thats what most of my local open mic's are, musician + guitar + singing. ive been looking into some lately but im not a very good singer...

yeah.. the biggest band I've seen there was a drummer, a guitarist/ vocalist, a backup vocalist and a keyboard player. they were quite good, actually.