im thinking about getting an ESP Alexi Laiho sig, does anyone know of any downs about it, or anything good about it??
Ibanez RG321
Ibanez RG220
Member of UG's HATECREW
well....it isn't exactly a nice guitar (personally i'd go for a real randy rhoads) and it's only got one pickup, on the bright side you can theoreticaly get teh same sound as him
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
One good thing about it is the bevel in back...tilts it toward you a little like Strat-style guitars and makes it easier to play unlike most V's which kinda tilt it away from you.
Quote by Maggot3000
just get a jackson RR24 instead

ya i agree, if you're gonna get a 1-pickup guitar get that one
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
i like it, im savin up for it

a lot of people complain about it only having one pickup.......but if you like me and only use the bridge pickup, then it isnt a problem

i would say try it before you buy it
It only has one pickup and it is a very unpopular one. (Passive EMG)

I have seen him live and he has awesome tone, but that guitar really only works well if you haev the same amps and preamps as him.
If you are referring to the ESP version. ignore what I am about to say completely unless you are referring to the ESP LTD Alexi 600. The Alexi a bit more versatile than the RR24. Which is basically its direct competitor. It has cutaways at the top around the higher frets for easier access, and is a bit more lightweight and comfortable. The pickup is passive, (EMG HZ) and is a bit sterile. The RR24 has an active EMG. But it is also more expensive, and a bit ugly because of the painted bevels.
Be cool.
Even if the passive EMG is crap, you can always upgrade to a good one. Bottom line...if you've played it and you're comfortable with it and you like it, then GET IT. Just make sure you go over it very well and play it a long time. You might be all excited at first but after you calm down you may find things about it you don't like. If one tiny thing bothers you, PUT IT BACK. Don't settle....thinking "Oh, I can live with that" comes back to bite you later. After awhile "I can live with that" becomes "I hate that" and you don't play it anymore and that's money wasted on a guitar you could've bought that you liked better. Take your time and really make sure.
Quote by thedude051
If you are referring to the ESP version. ignore what I am about to say completely unless you are referring to the ESP LTD Alexi 600. The Alexi a bit more versatile than the RR24. Which is basically its direct competitor. It has cutaways at the top around the higher frets for easier access, and is a bit more lightweight and comfortable. The pickup is passive, (EMG HZ) and is a bit sterile. The RR24 has an active EMG. But it is also more expensive, and a bit ugly because of the painted bevels.

You are aware they both have painted bevels right? I prefer the RR24 for build quality, feel, and the pickup.
Quote by fretboarddragon
Even if the passive EMG is crap, you can always upgrade to a good one. Bottom line...if you've played it and you're comfortable with it and you like it, then GET IT. Just make sure you go over it very well and play it a long time. You might be all excited at first but after you calm down you may find things about it you don't like. If one tiny thing bothers you, PUT IT BACK. Don't settle....thinking "Oh, I can live with that" comes back to bite you later. After awhile "I can live with that" becomes "I hate that" and you don't play it anymore and that's money wasted on a guitar you could've bought that you liked better. Take your time and really make sure.

Take this guys advice, it really is up to you, and what you like. if the body feels a little big, but the smaller rhoads fits you, get it. If the neck doesn't fit you hand, get the other one. Im looking at the same two guitars right now, so trust me try them out first. You'll be happier in the long run.
Quote by garden of grey
It only has one pickup and it is a very unpopular one. (Passive EMG)

I have seen him live and he has awesome tone, but that guitar really only works well if you haev the same amps and preamps as him.

Yes the passive emgs are unpopular, but who cares as long as who ever is playing them like it? But he has a preamp boost in his guitars, so you wont be able to get his tone, but can get pretty close.
Quote by ibanezguitarz07
im thinking about getting an ESP Alexi Laiho sig, does anyone know of any downs about it, or anything good about it??

The Guitar is fine. But im 89% sure you want it for the wrong reasons.
i'd miss the neck pickup

personally i'd get an ESP SV - its the exact same shape except it has bridge and neck pickups (both active EMGs)
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari
I've never played the alexi but I'd like to, all I can say is that if you do go for the RR24 instead its a quality guitar feels great to play sweet neck and sonds incredible, if you play metal lead alot its the guitar for you it really is made for it and you really wont be disapointed =]
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
It's VERY overpriced.

It only has one pickup, and it's a pickup that A) He doesn't use anymore and B) He only used with an active Gain boost.

Far better guitars in the price range.

Go customize your own Carvin.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
It's overpriced for sure.
It's GANDHI not GHANDI

Quote by lewymcgee
oh yea, stanleybach, what are u like the forum ass hole, stop tryin to ruin all the fun u dick head

Quote by webbtje
Stanleybach fucked a tree. My perversion is nothing.
Just play it a long time to know thats its right for you.
I mean its a hell of a lot of money for an axe that you wouldn't
love to pieces. Just think real hard on it man and good luck.
my gear:
jackson dk2m
ibanez grg170dx.
peavey vyper 15
warwick corvette 5 string
ashdown 5 15
Why would you buy someone else's guitar?.................
Quote by CHIEF-CHEESE
It was neck heavy when I played it.

From my experience, every V I've ever played was neck heavy
Quote by samtewari
i'd miss the neck pickup

personally i'd get an ESP SV - its the exact same shape except it has bridge and neck pickups (both active EMGs)

YEEESSSSS! Listen to this guy. Get like, an ESP LTD V-500 EMG 81/85 and if you really need to get your clean on, rock the EMG 60 instead of the 85.
Quote by CJRocker
You are aware they both have painted bevels right? I prefer the RR24 for build quality, feel, and the pickup.

You are aware of what a bevel is? The Alexi 600 has pinstripes. A bevel is the edge of the guitar, of which the RR24's are painted. As you can see, the Alexi's bevels are not painted. They are the same colour as the body. The guitar has pinstripes on the body. Be informed before speaking out. Because you just made yourself look like a fool.
Be cool.
Last edited by thedude051 at Oct 25, 2007,
Quote by TurdFerguson
YEEESSSSS! Listen to this guy. Get like, an ESP LTD V-500 EMG 81/85 and if you really need to get your clean on, rock the EMG 60 instead of the 85.

nooooooooo not the V's its an SV model

http://www.thomann.de/gb/esp_sv_standard_wh.htm (white)
http://www.thomann.de/gb/esp_sv_standard_bk.htm (black)
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

Quote by thedude051
Those are....GORGEOUS!!!!

for £1230 as well

he'd be an idiot to buy the alexi sig!!!

ESP SV standard of thomann BANG! there ya go
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

I just played the pink-beveled one in Vancouver when I went and saw Ozzy and I loved the guitar. It actually sounded pretty damn nice considering what I had previously heard about the EMGHZ pickups. I thought it was an overall really good quality axe
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
^^ its cause of the shape... you have to balance it on your leg, only thing i dislike about those guitars, not the most comfortable to play with sitting down.
its not neck heavy at all. This guitar in my opinion is the tits. I own one and I love it. The neck is slim and fast, the frets have great spacing and aren't as congested like jumbo frets. The Floyd really holds a tune. The bevel is really useful when playing because it stays towards you regardless if your standing or sitting. Mind you my Alexi has a EMG 81 and a PA2 installed in it instead of the HZ. I personally liked it with the HZ but the 81 was just a matter of preference.

I own both an ESP LTD alexi600 and a Jackson RR24(with a pa2) and I really just love them both. They both great guitars and you wouldn't be losing out in anyway shape or form. If you want sound clips Ill record the sound from both just to let you know how it sounds. Just let me know.
Good dealings with:
Vash_08
Madsjc
jdr94
Delanoir
creativlogic
Quote by thedude051
You are aware of what a bevel is? The Alexi 600 has pinstripes. A bevel is the edge of the guitar, of which the RR24's are painted. As you can see, the Alexi's bevels are not painted. They are the same colour as the body. The guitar has pinstripes on the body. Be informed before speaking out. Because you just made yourself look like a fool.

Calling those pinstripes is a stretch. While they aren't physically bevels that are painted, they aren't pinstripes. Now I could say you made yourself look like a fool by coming out of nowhere to bitch over a finish and improperly describing what it is. Pinstripes are whats on a Jackson RR5. those could be considered.... big spots of paint in a random spot to tbh. They aren't pinstripes.
Quote by AppleQueso
Am I the only one who actually LIKES the Alexi Vs (Body shape wise)?

I like them. I like Rhoads bodies better though. They are a little smaller, which makes them a little more comfortable (to me). I prefer that slanted look much more than a normal boring V.

As for the Alexi, I would personally go for the RR24. It's a Jackson so you know it's good, and it has an 81 instead of that cruddy HZ. There is just no comparison.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by AppleQueso
From my experience, every V I've ever played was neck heavy

Come to think of it, the alexi-600 is actually the only V I've ever played lol. Glad I bought the M-1000 instead.
Quote by samtewari

Those guitars=sex, I want one.
It's GANDHI not GHANDI

Quote by lewymcgee
oh yea, stanleybach, what are u like the forum ass hole, stop tryin to ruin all the fun u dick head

Quote by webbtje
Stanleybach fucked a tree. My perversion is nothing.
Quote by CJRocker
Calling those pinstripes is a stretch. While they aren't physically bevels that are painted, they aren't pinstripes. Now I could say you made yourself look like a fool by coming out of nowhere to bitch over a finish and improperly describing what it is. Pinstripes are whats on a Jackson RR5. those could be considered.... big spots of paint in a random spot to tbh. They aren't pinstripes.

Hmmm..let me read what it says on ESP's website. Alexi 600 guitar. Finishes: Black w/yellow pinstripe, white w/black pinstripe.. So is ESP wrong?
Be cool.