In the beginning of closed casket requiem by black dahlia murder where it goes

|---------------------------------|
|----10-9-12-10-12h14p12-10h12p10-|
|-000--0-0--0--0------------------|

do I up pick on the open (C or D, however you tune it) or do I just gotta be really fast and down pick the open? another example is Trivium's From Ember to Inferno:

|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
G|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
D|--------------------------------------------------------------------------10------12------10------12-|
A|-----7---9-------7---9---10---9------7---9-------12---10---9---10---------10------10------10------10-|
E|-0-0---0---0-0-0---0---0----0----0-0---0---0-0-0----0----0---0-----8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-|

Other examples can be found in Necropolis by The Absence or Elder Misanthropy by The Black Dahlia Murder.
down pick fast. alternate picking it doesnt sound the same.
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
I don't see at all how you play these sort of riffs now. I've tried to down pick it all but to down pick on the A and then come all the way up and down pick the E at the speeds these songs are played seems impossible for me, I suppose it just requires practice? I know I'm doing something wrong, can someone perhaps post a video of them playing a riff like this with a close up on their picking hand and slowed down a bit?
Try it like this, this is how I do it and it sounds perfect, and dont forget to palm mute the E string. Inside alternate picking I think its called. These songs are really fast, Id start with some As I Lay Dying, songs like confined are really easy and slow.

Closed Casket Requiem
|--------------------------------------------|
|-----8---7---10---8------10h12p10--8h10p8---|
|-000---0---0----0----0-0--------------------|
--UDU-D-U-D-U--D-U-D--U-D-D---------D

Elder Misanthropy
|-----------------------------------------||----------------------------------------|
|-----------------------------------------||----------------------------------------|
|------7----5-----------------------------||----------------------------------------|
|---------------8---7----8----7----575----||------7---8----7-8------8----7----7-8---|
|-0-0----0----0---0----0----0---0---------||-8-8----8----8------6-6---6----6--------|
--D-U--D-U--D-U-D-U-D--U-D--U-D-U--D---------D-U--D-U-D--U-D-U--D-U-D--U--D-U-D-U