hi, i think the next step in my tone search is go go all tube. what are the common first tube amps that people go for? i would really like an all rounder with a wattage that is comfortable enough for home playing as well as playing with a drummer. it must have a couple of channels, one being clean.

i play heavy metal among other stuf but i am prepared to use a pedal to achieve the real heavy tones.

like i say i would like an all rounder. what do you guys suggest?

my budget is pretty much only going to allow me to buy an entry level all tube amp so please remember that. thanks
I have a peavey classic 30 I like. $600 new, but I got it for $350 used.

very good blues and classic rock tone on its own, driven into anything with pedals (great for metal with my pedals) works well with effects, and is 30 all tube watts -- so It can get loud enough to gig with (I keep my volume around 2 at home, and it sounds ok, but better when its cranked obviously)

I really recommend the classic 30.

no cheap tube amp is going to be able to do heavy metal easily without a pedal, so I'd still say this one is pretty versatile, and with a pedal, like I said no problem for metal.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
well, an entry-level (5w) tube might not get u over a drummer w/out a PA. But a Crate Palomino V6 would be ur best bet. Its All-Tube, and will give u good tube OD. Something like a Zakk Wylde OD would be a good pedal to boost it into metal territory.
Quote by qotsa1998
well, an entry-level (5w) tube might not get u over a drummer w/out a PA. But a Crate Palomino V6 would be ur best bet. Its All-Tube, and will give u good tube OD. Something like a Zakk Wylde OD would be a good pedal to boost it into metal territory.

entry level does NOT mean 5 watts, he means that he cant go expensive.

Even though i'm not much of a fan the Peavey Valveking would be good for you.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, see, with an amp like the Peavey 5150, you wouldn't need a pedal..It already does metal famously.

yeah my mate has a 6505 head i believe the model is. thats basically a newer, more modern sounding 5150 i have read? but the 5150s are generally considered to be better
Last edited by Sepulturick at Oct 9, 2007,
Take a look at Carvin or Peavey.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell