since i dont have a whammy bar, ive been bending the neck of my guitars alot to create that dipping sound. is this something that could potentially damage a guitar if i do it alot?
thanks
i guess if you'd do it with like all your might over and over and over again.

i occasionally do it myself on my acoustic, but not very hard.
What do you have? Fender style bolt on necks should be alright, though Gibson set necks and neck thrus are fragile. It will knock your guitar out of tune. And if you screw up you could warp or flat snap the neck. But if you're careful the only side effect is you're going to need to tweak the truss rod a fair amount. Jake E Lee did it a lot.
um i cant really see it helpin much lol
im one of those guys who names their guitars.. thats love..
-jakee $tone
dunno i know people who do it but

i kind of want more range, so i use a whammy instead

uhm. right. don't go crazy. make sure its a replacable neck. if not. then dont. (my friend does it on his sg, but i'm assuming hes very careful)
i have a 'white guitar'
I do it on my acoustic occasionally, but it's like an $80 guitar so I don't mind as much. I've never had any problems with it, but I don't do it very hard
thats why they should make necks out of rubber *nods sagaciously* then you could get FR style range.
i have a 'white guitar'
I have done it once or twice about 25 years ago but I wouldn't advise it if you care much about your guitar.
yeah i have an epiphone lp, not sure i want to pay for a new neck...haha
ok well thanks for the comments
wtf? ive never heard of that
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
wtf? ive never heard of that

As I said, Jack E Lee did it a lot as he didn't use Floyds, but needed to get those crazy trem-like sounds with Ozzy. There are some pictures of him bending it like crazy.
Quote by CJRocker
As I said, Jack E Lee did it a lot as he didn't use Floyds, but needed to get those crazy trem-like sounds with Ozzy. There are some pictures of him bending it like crazy.

Prolly wasnt a big deal though, because if he snapped a neck, its not a big deal, hes got like 90 more lol
Us poor bastards only have 1 guitar!
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
Prolly wasnt a big deal though, because if he snapped a neck, its not a big deal, hes got like 90 more lol

yeah, which is why its a (rightfully) forgotten "art" Actually, I had a guitar teacher who did it on his Epi LP Custom, and I can sum it up like this "I do it to get tremolo effects but man, every time I do it I hold my breath"
Quote by kool98769

Jake E lee never had that much guitars as far as I know. He always played his white Fender/Charvel. As for neck bending, the one guy I can think of besides Jake that does it a lot is Billy Sheehan. However I do remember him saying that he has to jam picks and such in between the neck and the neck pocket on his favourite bass, because it has gotten pretty lose from all the neck bends.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by CJRocker

Randy did it too. I would not do this unless you have a double truss rod. Because you can actually warp your neck into a spiral shape which won't come out with a single truss rod And what i mean by spiral is if you look down the frets on the high E it may bow out when at the same time if you look down the low E it bows in, or vice versa
I did this to my strat and I took a 20lb weight off my bench.Tied it to my strap pin and left it hanging on the fret rest (securely anchored into the wall) for awhile to pull it straight. It made it allot better but I don't suggest that ethier. Just don't bend.