well, the other day during my lunch hour I stopped by the pawn shop to check out their guitars. there were two in there that looked alright to me, but I figured I'd come to UG to see what ya'll think. There was an Epiphone for like.... 400-500 bucks, it looked alright, but it's just straight up red and that doesn't really appeal to me. The other one was one I really liked the look of, awesome inlays it/ It was around $400. but it's a brand I'd never heard of, it just said Tradition, is that a good brand of guitar? like how's the quality? the guy up there let me try it out, but it was through an old behringer amp and the cord was sorta screwy and had really old strings on it so I couldn't really tell if I liked the guitar....

And what should I pay attention to in pawn shop / used guitars? like what kinda problems should I look for?
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Oct 9, 2007,
look around the guitar for scratches nicks dents scrapes and other abbraison, second of all, check all mechanical parts for any play, always try it out on an amp, it doesnt matter if it sound slike ****, just as long as you know the guitar has some sound. i bought a 1967 Kent Thinline from a pawn shop, had a few nicks, and some electrical deterioration but that was quickly fizxed with a soldering gun. but, for 400 bucks...id rty to bargain it down to 250 if possible.
yea, I was talkin to somebody in the store that I kinda knew and he said that I could probably get him to come down on the price.

do you know anything about Tradition guitars?
Also if you are gonna spend that much on a guitar i would recommend go to a guitar store and buy like a jackson or ibanez. or maybe even a used gibson. i have bought one for about 499.00. it had alot of nicks but it still sounded good.
yea, the guy in the shop said "Oh yea, Tradition are real good guitars!" and proceeds to ramble on about stuff he obviously knew very little about....

and thanks kaos

edit: and I'm gonna try to get him to come down on the price. If I do end up spending that much I'd definately get something I know more about.
Quote by The4thHorsemen
yea, the guy in the shop said "Oh yea, Tradition are real good guitars!" and proceeds to ramble on about stuff he obviously knew very little about....

and thanks kaos

edit: and I'm gonna try to get him to come down on the price. If I do end up spending that much I'd definately get something I know more about.

Yea I was just thinking of that... if your spending $400+... might as well get a nice known name brand guitar.
TheFourthHorseman's Avatar has me mesmorized . Reminds me of a pair of 48DD's that is near and dear to me lol.

Chris
Hmmmm? Maybe I need to make an avitar???? Where's my wife.....honey!....get the camera....I got an idea....

LOL

Chris
Quote by RCShadow
Hmmmm? Maybe I need to make an avitar???? Where's my wife.....honey!....get the camera....I got an idea....

LOL

Chris

Too much info?
Starring at the avatar again.....oh yea!...

I like the guitar, its nice. The trans-black is always nice on a quilt top. I wonder how they play and sound??
tradition guitar are amazing.
i have one.
they're like super new.
great guitars.
I just bought a guitar from a guy who owns a Tradition LP copy. I thought it was a beautiful guitar and he let me try it out. I was very pleased with it. He paid less than $250.00 for it brand new off Ebay. The guitars at that pawnshop sound a little pricey for me. I hit several pawnshops just to see what they might have and the prices have been fair on the stuff I looked at. You do need to try out anything before you buy it. I found an old Charvel/Jackson in mint condition at a pawnshop here. I plugged it into an amp and got nothing. It had active electronics and we replaced the battery thinking that was it but still nothing swapped cords and amps and still no sound. They claimed it worked when they got it??? They were asking too much for it IMHO especially when I couldn't get any sound from it at all. They offered to take $50.00 off it but it just wasn't enough. I still like Ebay, Craigs list and even music shops over pawnshops.

John
Update: I went back today to check the model number and what they were askin for it.... couldn't find the model number, but I'm pretty sure it's the MTP 375. The Tradition site has it listed at $1,149.00 and the pawnshop has it for $500, but of course we already talked about bargaining. I think I'm gonna get it, depending on how low we can get him to go
Just to let you know, that guitar is beautiful.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Quote by kaossurge
Yea I was just thinking of that... if your spending $400+... might as well get a nice known name brand guitar.

Name =/= good. There are lots of off brands like Agile, Swing, Austin, and (older) Aria Pro II that make/made sweet budget guitars. TS, that sounds like a pretty good deal. Go for it!
dont waste money on it just buy a agile from rondomusic.com super high quality guitars