So i'm still running off of my first amp that I got about four years ago (spyder II 15W, it suited me as a beginner). I've decided it's finally time to upgrade after having to deal with using that to jam with my band for the past year or so, and i've been looking a lot into it for the past couple weeks. At first i was thinking about getting the fender 212R, but now have seen that they aren't that great of amps. So I then looked into tube amps and i've been seriously considering a Fender Deville or Hot Rod Deluxe. And preferance or advice out there i should take into account?? Thanks a lot!
people are going to ask for your styles, budgets, what effects and guitar you have now and what not...just to let you know.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Well what styles of music do you like to play?

The Hot Rod is a pretty good amp with nice cleans and as Slats always says don't be afraid to look for a used one.
I've seen used Hot Rods go for around $400.

You could also look into the Blues Deluxe, which is similar but different also for $650 new.

Edit: ^ You called it.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
I play a lot of types, we play a lot of blues, but also touch a lot of classic and hard rock. I'm playing an Epi LP Custom through it as well. Budget is probly between 500 to 700.
Im not sure what the price of an Laney VC 30, but if its in your budget I would highly recomend it! Other than that I guess the HRD would do yeah!
sounds like maybe the VJr.? or maybe the Peavey Classic? or stick with those Fenders like you were saying, cant go wrong with a fender. unless its the frontman series. dont get frontman lol
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Hah yeah thats what i was actually looking at at one point, but after doing more research i decided that that probly wouldnt be my smartest decision lol. Anyone else with any suggestions?
Quote by CryogeniX
I play a lot of types, we play a lot of blues, but also touch a lot of classic and hard rock. I'm playing an Epi LP Custom through it as well. Budget is probly between 500 to 700.

The Hot Rod should be pretty good, as I mentioned before check out the Blues Deluxe similar to the Hot Rod but had a more creamier sound with darker cleans, worth trying out. They're both pretty good though I think it's a matter of preference so try them out if you can.

You might also be able to get a Peavey CLassic 30 or Delta Blues i've played the Classic 30 and it's a pretty nice amp.
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

Thanks a lot, I have some time to try them out while i save up some more money so i can get something of actual good quality (something i lack with my spyder II right now haha)
Would a Laney or Peavy be any better or worse than the fenders? i havent looked really outside of fender so im still willing to keep an open mind to other brands. or would the brand really depend on me?
Quote by CryogeniX
Would a Laney or Peavy be any better or worse than the fenders? i havent looked really outside of fender so im still willing to keep an open mind to other brands. or would the brand really depend on me?

They're all pretty good, it's more on preference and what sound you want.
Laney will probably be more like an AC30 with a British crunch, while the Fender will have an American voicing, dark or sparkly cleans and such. The Peavey is probably sort of an in between. Though I can't explain sound and everyone sees it differently so just go try some and see which one you like. Good luck with the amp.

Id say go for the Hot Rod Deluxe Reissue. its not too much different from the non-reissue... but the drive channel isn't as harsh but a lot smoother if thats what your going for. the cleans are pretty much equivalent and beautiful.
Quote by CryogeniX

The Fender Hot Rod or Peavey Classic 30/50 would both be excellent choices. The Peavey would be better for your harder rock, the Fender for cleans. Best to try 'em both and see what suits you best.

And yeah, absolutely look used. You should be able to find either amp in excellent second hand condition for $400 (or less!). That's about what I paid for a mint C-30.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Yeah, i've been looking used. I look at EBay a lot just to get an idea, but i made the mistake of buying an MG (i know...) off ebay and what a shock, it was a piece of **** that was also in terrible condition (listed as "In excellent condition"). So I'm a little apprehensive to buy off ebay again for an amp but i'm still checking that out and browsing around local music shops.