Page 1 of 2
What if the hippies in the '60s actually succeeded in instilling their values and beliefs into the majority of the world (without the corruption of those values in the '70s). Who would govern the countries? What would the legal system be like? Would the educational system play as big of a part in our futures? How would the economy be affected? Etc..
Quote by Arthur Curry
It's just The Man trying to bring down us negroes.

Quote by Yakult
Just go out in a silk dressing gown and ask them if they've ever been penetrated
itd be a hella of alot easier to get acid than to call your dealer every week and beg him to go picking for some.
John Butler would be the current President
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Ignorance is bliss. Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Is it odd that I get an erection every time RageAgainst... posts?

President of "Colbert Nation "
Quote by RageAgainst...
John Butler would be the current President

that would be awesome. his State of the Unions would be instrumentals.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Quote by Gu1T@r_H3r0
I imagine the entire world would have gone to ****, I mean, let's face it, a bunch of hippies off their heads on acid running countries? Just ain't gonna work man.

Hippies aren't always on acid, and I would imagine most of them would realize that acid and running a country don't always mix well.. though the insight gained from the trips would be worth applying
The Russians would have thought fuck it and bombed all you American pigs.
What if the '60's worked?

What if pigs could fly?
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
Quote by Sabu
The Russians would have thought fuck it and bombed all you American pigs.

And that there, is the face of ignorance.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
it did work you fool..

look how much the world changed since the 50s.

they opened minds of generations not yet born..

there are just millions of stubborn idiots who dig violence, war, and greed
Quote by excalibur672
They'd meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

hippiedom just wouldn't work.

it would if everyone were in on it
We would all be living in a pretty ****ing awesome world.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by hippie_cune

Not everyone wants to be a hippy though.
it would be just as ****ed up, just from a different perspective.

But the shorter answer to this would be: they didn't . EoD

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
you would probably have less crime and killing cause everybody would be too stoned to move. thats my kinda place.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Quote by hippie_cune

So would every form of government ever, it's just not practical to reason that everybody will support a government, there will always be detractors, and if those detractors are influential enough to corrupt and ruin the system, then that system has demonstrated it's uselessness. I will admit, however, that hoping for a perfect government is deep within the fathoms of utopian idealism.

In response to the original question, I think we'd have gone down the tubes as a society if the 60's movement succeeded overwhelmingly. I suppose you could argue it succeeded in the sense that it had a dramatic influence on people, but it didn't work to the extent that the followers of it had hoped, if it had, you'd have a much faster deterioration of the 50's mentality to the point that the backlash would be more immediate and more drastic. That is, with the influence of the 60's, a liberal way of thinking is slowly becoming more prominent and the American culture is sliding to one end of the spectrum, where if the 60's movement had completely succeeded, we'd be where we are now a long time ago, and in 2007, we'd be farther down that line, and the pendulum effect would be closer to beginning. We'd be overly decadent, and we'd associate the problems we had with the lifestyle we led, (as people do now) and you can only go so far before people naturally institute change, and we'd head back towards that 50's mentality because we've hit the lowest low within the 60's ideals. All this is still happening, just because that's how things go, it's just happening a lot slower than it could have.
When crying don't help
You can't compose yourself
It's best to compose a poem
An honest verse of longing
Or a simple song of hope...
Quote by captainjackass
Then we wouldnt need Red Bull!

/badjoke

or trojan condoms
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Quote by .smudged.
I prefer communism

I'm hoping that's an attempt at sarcasm considering you're 1) 15 2) have never lived under communist rule 3) one of your favorite books is Animal Farm which is a harsh commentary on the reality of communist rule.

if not... get a clue.

Cas-

edit: bye Sabu
Quote by wholovesthesun
What if the hippies in the '60s actually succeeded in instilling their values and beliefs into the majority of the world (without the corruption of those values in the '70s).

The world would be a much better place.

I couldn't imagine it being that drastically different. Less wars...but I don't see why the economy would be affected or anything. But I lack the ability to see the most obvious things, so probably there is an obvious reason...
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by casualty01
I'm hoping that's an attempt at sarcasm considering you're 1) 15 2) have never lived under communist rule 3) one of your favorite books is Animal Farm which is a harsh commentary on the reality of communist rule.

if not... get a clue.

Cas-

edit: bye Sabu

umm yeah im pretty sure its sarcasm.
Quote by Sabu
Not everyone wants to be a hippy though.

We all wouldn't be hippies.

We would just be more peace loving people, and more focused on the good of others, rather than the good of ourselves.

And, no, in the long run and blown up to a national level, the hippie idea of life would have never worked.

They didn't believe in money, hence the Digger Free Shops, etc. If we didn't have money or some sort of system for bardering, we would have no way of paying other countries for the goods we need, or any way of giving the people who aren't of their mentality wages, etc.

the whole economy would have flopped, and we would have started back at square one.

As much as I loved their mentality on peace and whatnot, it just wouldn't have worked, if anything, for that simple reason.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
i think it would be great, and i think if you opened this you probably think it'd be great too. but it would never happen. we need a balance. right now there isnt a balance.
Legal weed FTW. Hippies are awesome I was driving home today and there was a hippie walking along the side of the road with a peace sign. I think more people should do that.
EDIT: I realize "peace sign" is kind of vague. It was a big sign that said peace on it like a protest sign.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Last edited by soul_power at Jan 14, 2008,
It wouldn't work because the corruption of their values was inevitable, those who saw as it was meant to be would survive as a structured community because they werent afraid to work to live but those who saw it as a good way to freeload and do drugs would ruin the dream for everyone and some form of order would have to step in and save the general populus from their stupidity.
the hippie idealogy wasn't a realistic one. peace and love is a good goal, but sometimes you have to stand up for yourself and do what isn't nice. plus, hippies seemed to be more about just chilling out than accomplishing anything, so i dooubt much of anything would have gotten accomplished.
If the 60's worked, we would still have sex, drugs and Rock & roll. Too bad now it's Aids, rehab and Techno.
Quote by SHEEM
If the 60's worked, we would still have sex, drugs and Rock & roll. Too bad now it's Aids, rehab and Techno.

wasn't it all the unprotected sex in the 70's and 80's that led to aids being such a big problem?
Quote by Spamwise
wasn't it all the unprotected sex in the 70's and 80's that led to aids being such a big problem?

that's what the homos want you to think...
Quote by gflip69
Someone called me on my landline (home phone) and asked me where I was.
well to an extent the sixties did "Work"

-Legalisation of Abortion
-Decriminalisation of Homosexuality
-Introduction of oral contraceptives
-New divorce laws make divorce easier
-Civil rights movement pushes forward equality for Blacks, Women and ethnic minorities
-Breakdown in conservatism of the past
-New ways of thinking and expression become socially acceptable

just because we cant smoke weed in public and go around in brightly painted VW vans doesn't mean the sixties didn't work
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
It would of ended up in some sort of totalatarian government. They would take the ideals to far and force them on people, ending up worse than what they hated in the beggining. Eg. Communism, pretty much any system of government based on utopian ideals.
Quote by wholovesthesun
What if the hippies in the '60s actually succeeded in instilling their values and beliefs into the majority of the world (without the corruption of those values in the '70s). Who would govern the countries? What would the legal system be like? Would the educational system play as big of a part in our futures? How would the economy be affected? Etc..

The world would have even more sexists and homophobes, as hippies were very much so these things.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
If it would've become the world,
we'd be rebelling now as teens and becoming fascists who refuse drugs, alcohol, and every other bad substance.
We'd want more dictators.
I don't know if the world would be more violent, but at least our generation would try to go for it. It's quite the same now though, almost.
Quote by wiggy1988
well to an extent the sixties did "Work"

-Legalisation of Abortion
-Decriminalisation of Homosexuality
-Introduction of oral contraceptives
-New divorce laws make divorce easier
-Civil rights movement pushes forward equality for Blacks, Women and ethnic minorities
-Breakdown in conservatism of the past
-New ways of thinking and expression become socially acceptable

just because we cant smoke weed in public and go around in brightly painted VW vans doesn't mean the sixties didn't work

ummm wasnt the 60s all about the legalizatin of weed?
Quote by highway62
ummm wasnt the 60s all about the legalizatin of weed?

More just freedom in general and those other things were as much a part of it as people wanting legalisation of drugs.
Page 1 of 2