I've been playin guitar roughly on and off for a year maybe now and Im kind of lost. I pick it up and it's like i dont know what to play. I jam sometimes with friends but it always seems like I'm not good enough. I've self taught myself alot of theory which I kind of used to try to get back into playing, but that didnt really help. Im LOST.

I want to get better and i try different things like lessons but it doesnt seem like much progress it happening due to me not knowing how to advance as a player. It seems like playing tabs sometimes isnt enough too.

Any advice on where I should start getting serious? I love to play but i feel like I want to advance.
Ibanez RG350DX - ESP LTD EC-500

Peavey JSX 212 Combo - Digitech RP 250
find more some new music that might interest you, try to learn it, that usualy gets my guitar juices flowing
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

Melodic Thrash Metal and winners of the Wacken Metal Battle Canada and 2nd Place Runner Ups for Wacken Metal Battle International

PROFANER
Lessons may be worthwhile.

Progress in our chosen instrument isn't liner, rather it "plateaus" where it seems like you aren't getting anywhere for a while, then you suddenly "jump" in skill. You may not feel that you're progressing, but you are. It just takes some time to realize it.

There are a few things that can help. Adjusting your practice schedule might be one. You didn't say how often you practice, but if you really want to progress I'd suggest at least an hour a day 5 days a week, and alternate between scales, theory, and chords (one day), and riffs, songs, and general fun (alternate day).

I also might suggest taking a short break if you feel you're getting too flustered with it. Taking a break not only lets you hit it fresh and new when you get back to it, but it allows your muscles to heal and develop. If you do it too much, you'll just end up fatiguing your muscles and you won't feel much progress. A few days to a week or two off can sometimes do tons for your playing.

Most of all, don't take it too seriously. They call it 'playing' the guitar for a reason. If you feel frustrated with it or it just doesn't feel like fun, by all means take a rest.

I think the best advice I can possibly give is play what you love and love what you play

Peace
-Garou-
Taking a break from the instrument as noted above can sometimes help. I find maybe focussing on one song until you get it really good can be fun in the short run ebcause it gives you a concrete sense of accomplishment.

Sometimes I like to learn a musical piece that I normally wouldn't listen to or play regularly like a fingerpicking piece or a classical work.

I think this frustration or "lost" sense of playing happens to everyone now and again. I think most creative people hit highs and lows. I agree with the last post sometimes you can progress but not realize it at the time. Much of my progress happened in seemingly quick jumps. Stick with it and I think you'll get back on track in time.
^ Agreed. I can't speak for anyone else, but I've defenately felt 'lost' from time to time. IMO it's a natural part of progression. Just be patient and know that the skill will come as long as you practice. Guitar is defenately one of those things where you get out of it what you put in, plus some. Practice pays off in spades
How do you already jam and know thoery after only a year? See, you're a natural.

Practice scales, finger excercises, songs you like with lots of chords, songs you like with lots of soloing/single-note melodies; you can do all sorts of stuff.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401