My acoustic guitar has a bit of a brittle and stiff sound. I've had it for about three years, so it has been broken in pretty well. It also has a very thick coat of lacquer. I was wondering if stripping the lacquer would open up the sound and; if so, what would be the best way to approach removing it.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Don't strip anything. Try new bridge pins, however.

You can find them at stewmac.com. I recommend Ebony.

How does changing the pins affect the sound? Difference between bone, ivoroid, ebony, snakewood and koa?
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Quote by Highbinder
How does changing the pins affect the sound? Difference between bone, ivoroid, ebony, snakewood and koa?

Well, plastic to wood or bone or some other better material is a big difference. Better string vibration transfer...
I think that Ebony sounds the best out of the wood kinds, based on my experience with koa and rosewood. Bone would be best, but it's more expensive. Ebony is cheap and makes a difference. It gets louder, more bottom end, more sparkle, just sounds more harmonically complex.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, plastic to wood or bone or some other better material is a big difference. Better string vibration transfer...
I think that Ebony sounds the best out of the wood kinds, based on my experience with koa and rosewood. Bone would be best, but it's more expensive. Ebony is cheap and makes a difference. It gets louder, more bottom end, more sparkle, just sounds more harmonically complex.

+1. Also consider a new nut, which can make a fair amount of difference as well.
Quote by CJRocker
+1. Also consider a new nut, which can make a fair amount of difference as well.

Certainly. A new bridge, bridge pins and nut will make a lot of difference.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, a bridge can be fairly costly, but a new saddle is a bit cheaper, and can make a significant difference.

Argh, damn. That's what I meant The good ol' advice-ometer isn't doing it's job too well lately.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."