ive just tuned my acoustic to DADGAD out of curiosity(sp) and i was wondering how do i do chords in that tuning?

what style of music is it best suited for?

and are there any REALLY easy finger picking songs in this tuning that would help me learn how to finger pick?

thanx guys
I can't think of any songs off the top of my head, but I know that Mark Tremonti of Creed and Alter Bridge uses that tuning a lot.
Dart of the Dragoons Pm big_deth to join
andy mckee fo sho.
My Music Videos

Guitars:
Breedlove Revival Series OM
Crosby Fingerstyle Model
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Fender Stratocaster (American)
Fender Nashville Deluxe Tele
It's most commonly used in Irish folk or Celtic music. It creates this really awesome drone sound, kind of similar to the bagpipes.
Celtic music.
Member #11 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join

Quote by MuffinMan
Women: the newest form of currency.
i know that lamb of god uses it in some of their songs but i doubt you'll be playing them acoustic
Quote by rockybo
I'm making an igloo in my backyard later and smoking a bong in it.
Try some trace bundy
http://youtube.com/watch?v=N9to1auUNTk
Cool stuff, and there's some tabs on here.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
for playing chords I know you can play the 1st 4th and 5th chords in any major scale very easily.

They go something like this, and you can change keys by either barring the chords or using a capo.

1st chord or I

4th chord or IV

5th chord or V

Thats about all I can remember about DADGAD. I used in to accompany flutes and violins because, using a capo and those 3 chords oyu can accompany pretty much every celtic type song and its very simple to do and soudns great.
As said, DADGAD is widely used in Irish folk music. Its used in rock and even metal aswell though. Check out 'The day i understood" and "Clear me' by The Livid to see it used in rock music.
As for chords in this tuning, like a dropped tuning, power chords are much easier in this tuning and can be created by simply barring the 2/3 thickest strings at ay given fret.
Eg: E5: 222xxx
G5: 55xxxx

If you want to make some chords more complex than power chords, learn some chord construction theory (if you dont already know it), draw a diagram of a fretboard labelling the notes as they would appear in DADGAD tuning and then come up with your own chords :-)
Check out folk guitarist Davy Graham, he is known for not inventing it, but for bringing it into the light of solo folk guitar. Amazing guitarist as well...

On the tuning, the key is in the octaves. Play around with them, it's a very nice tuning to use for slide guitar, for example, my slide guitar in the profile is in DADGAD.

mate
DADGAD is the blues!
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
Quote by Ferrarone
DADGAD is the blues!

Explain. Now.
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Quote by Ferrarone
DADGAD is the blues!

HUH?

I think you mean DADF#AD, as in open D, not DADGAD, thats folk
Eric Roche was amazing with DADGAD. But some of his stuff is hard. I believe Jimmy Page was quite fond of it too. Uses it on Kashmir.
jose gonzalez - heartbeats, save your day
andy mckee - drifting (thats more fingerstyle though)
some blues like smokestack lightning i think

off the top of my ehad google dadgad tuning
dadgad is open d, if you speak in majors. d is 1 g is 4, and a is 5, that may have been what the guy sayin it was the blues meant. Another pretty sweet tuning i find is dadfad, try killing floor blues in that one.
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Analog Man ARDX20 Dual Delay
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG
yea sry that was bad wording on my part yea open d would include d, f# and a. What I really meant to say was that that would be the 1, 4, and 5 in the key of d.
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Analog Man ARDX20 Dual Delay
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG
Quote by tom183
DADGAD is open Dsus4

Ditto. +1. etc.

That is all.
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo
fulltone Clyde Standard wah

*No Advertising*
Quote by dm1925
i know that lamb of god uses it in some of their songs but i doubt you'll be playing them acoustic

DO IT!
Rest in Peace Kimberly Kazuko Yoshida

so random ->