(I'm sorry how long this post is, but I felt it necessary to by thorough in explaning my problems in order to prevent any confusion.)

Let me preface this by saying my guitar is a Squier with light-top heavy-bottom strings, so it's likely all my problems are a result of having a cheapo bridge. Also my knowledge of technical guitar hardware adjustments is minimal (such as adjusting the bridge saddles).

I've lately been having incredible intonation problems, specially trying to resolve fifths and octaves: when I tune my guitar with the fifth fret method, I end up with power chords that work, however none of my octaves are right. When I try to tune in octaves - such as using the second-fret A string to tune the B string or the A string for the second-fret G string, I end up with perfect octaves and horrible power chords.

I checked my intonation by comparing the 12 fret and the 12 fret harmonic, finding every string to be way off. I had to add a significant amount of tension to the bridge saddles to get it right. For a few days, my guitar was perfectly in tune.

Then a few days later I awoke to find that over night the bridge, under the stress of the increased tension, had pulled out of the body, and the back end of it was up in the air, held by the screws in the front end. In a panic, I cut every string and the bridge snapped back into place.

So now my guitar is stringless and I'm scared by the two possibilities I seem to face: either it'll be forever out of tune, or I'll live in fear of the bridge popping out again.

Question time.
1. Could there be another problem with my guitar that is giving me these intonation problems? The action is right, so I don't think it's in need of a truss rod adjustment.

2. Could the heavy gage of the low strings I use be adding too much tension for my bridge to handle?

3. Is the diagnosis of my problem beyond the scope of my technical skills? I am a very technically inclined person, and feel confident in my ability to learn how to perform any necessary maintence as long as it doesn't require a master-level of skill. I'd rather not take it into a shop, as the time required to do anything to it as quoted by my local guitar shop is ~2 weeks, too long for me to be without my baby.

4. Should I just ditch the POS and spend a little bit of my savings on a real guitar? Wait, I already know the answer to this one..

I greatly appreciate your time in helping me with this, UGers.
Squier Strat
B-52 AT-212 100w tube
Boss Metal Zone

Amateur philosopher and physicist
It doesn't hurt the bridge to have the back end up a little bit (enough to have a half step to a step up bend), and most people prefer it that way. If it's really high, put a couple of springs in the back, you can have up to five, and it probably came stock with three.

But I have to ask, what do you mean by adding tension to the saddles? To adjust intonation you just move the saddles either forward or backward.
get a new guitar and preferably one with a bridge that is intonated that does not change every time u need to change the strings
like a schetcer mine is always in tune and new strings stelle in pretty nicely
Yeah, I meant that I had to adjust the saddles way back (adding tension).

The bridge was angled at a 45 degree, lol, it would have been impossible to play. What do you mean by adding strings to it?
Squier Strat
B-52 AT-212 100w tube
Boss Metal Zone

Amateur philosopher and physicist
Not strings, springs. If you take the plate off the back of the guitar you'll find that there are springs that connect the bridge and the body of the guitar. You can buy springs at most guitar shops (they're really cheap), and put a couple more in. If that fails, you can tighten the spring claw (the metal thing that holds the springs on the other side from the bridge).