Okay so, recently I had a birthday and I asked for some new strings for the acoustic guitar I had recently started playing. Mind you, this guitar is probably 5-6 years old, I got it as a young teenager so that's why I asked for new strings. The strings I had just sounded very bad and ringy, not like something was touching the strings, just very ..it's hard to describe.

So, my birthday comes and I open up some Martin MSP4000 Phosphor Bronze Extra Light Acoustic Guitar Strings and have a good friend of mine put those "bad boys" on. I played them and they sounded even more shallow. There was just like no substance to them. This is all very hard for me to describe, as I don't know all the terms used for guitars. I'm a pretty big noob.

So I couldn't decide what was wrong. My guitar is an Alpine GA100, and pretty old. I was just wondering if my guitar is low quality and that type of sound is expected, or if it's the strings or the work of the stringer.

Thank you.
yea there are right and wrong ways to string your guitar....or its that you dont like the sound of the strings you got since there are many types of strings
ya man different types of strings make different lil diff types of sound...i just but steel-ish acoustic strings and man i hate it. all clanky and trebly. I love my martin copper one with the warm soft tone
A.K.A. Titanguy
I googled your guitar and yeah... I think that might be the problem. From my experience, cheap equipment works well with other cheap equipment and good equipment only works well with good equipment and not vice-versa... you might need cheap strings to make it work well... just a thought
POOP
[img]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c200/rvd316/Screenshot_37.jpg[/img]
POOP
I see, could I easily just take the current strings off and put them back on correctly? Or are they already fit to how they are now? Any string recommendations if I do get new ones?

Sorry I feel like a big dumbass asking some of these questions lol.
Actually, providing you're stringing it correctly, your problem may be the strings themselvs. Extra lights won't give you the same full tones as Light or Medium gauge strings will. I'd just play through the strings you have now and bear with it, or if it's such an issue that you just cant stand the sound, go ahead and trade up. If you want quality, I'd look into D'Addario or Elixer (I'm a D'Addario man myself ), but as tone problems go it probably has more to do with the fact that you're using extra lights instead of light or med.

Hope that helps
Yeah. The thicker the gague on your strings, the more full the tones will be, until you get into bass gauges and thats all you can hear. The thinner the gauge, the more the 'highs' will come through and the less you'll hear the 'bass'. IMO medium - thick-medium gague gives the most full tones while still being fretable. Granted, if you're used to extra lights, you'll want to gradually step up, otherwise it'll be torture to play, but I think you'll be pleased with the results if you step up to a thicker acoustic gauge.

I'd like to note that you'll want to be sure you're stringing them properly, but providing thats the case, a thicker gauge should be your answer.
I had to change the strings on my guitar and man did it sound worse or just as wrose I could not get it to tune or stay in tune at frist. I just kept working with the strings untill I got them nice and taut got them staying in tune and now it sounds good again. just keep working them strings. I also have a chep guitar a Sunlite under $100
^-- it's normal for strings to have trouble staying in tune when you first put them on. it takes a little time and playing to stretch the strings out. after a day or so, depending on how much you play, strings will generally stay in tune just fine.

to the threadstarter... there are a few things that could be the problem.

1. your guitar. i certainly don't mean this to be offensive, but as you know, it's cheap. you get what you pay for in most cases. cheap guitars generally don't sound very good. this is the most likely cause of your problem in my opinion. based on your post, it kinda sounds like the guitar has always sounded bad. could you post some sound clips?

2. your buddy could have restrung the guitar incorrectly. can you post some pictures of the headstock (the piece at the end of the fretboard where the strings wrap around the tuning keys) of the guitar?

3. you might want some heavier gauge strings. extra lights typically don't sound nearly as good as heavier gauge strings. acoustic guitars need heavier strings. acoustic guitars produce sound by translating the vibrations in the strings through the saddle and bridge into the soundboard (top). the lighter the gauge of the strings, the less they are able to cause the soundboard to vibrate. i'd suggest trying out some light or medium gauge strings instead of extra light. also, if you don't like your current strings, try some different ones when you change them next. martin IS a good brand of strings, and they make a wide variety of strings. ask someone at your local store what the different strings they have sound like and what the differences between them are.
jimtaka, what strings are YOU using? Just curious...I'm using Martin SP's, the blue box...and this string time around, I'd like to get a little experimental. Although there's no way I'm dropping $14 for Elixirs; are they really as great-sounding and long lasting as everybody says they are?

I'm gonna try D'Addario....The Martins are great, though...I only use Medium.
<----gonna answer even though he's not jim

personally I love D'Addario phosphor bronze med gauge. They last a good while and sound sweet like candy

Though right now I'm actually using some high end martins I got on sale ($3.99 a pack!), and I'm duely impressed with the tone quality and how long they've held up.
It may be because you put phosphor bronze strings on a guitar that wasn't designed for them. Martin MSP 4000 are really good strings. I have used them.

I looked up your guitar and it sells for 69.99. Ain't no strings gonna make that thing sound good. That guitar is best used for kindling.
Quote by lawinnn
jimtaka, what strings are YOU using? Just curious...I'm using Martin SP's, the blue box...and this string time around, I'd like to get a little experimental. Although there's no way I'm dropping $14 for Elixirs; are they really as great-sounding and long lasting as everybody says they are?

I'm gonna try D'Addario....The Martins are great, though...I only use Medium.

I typically stick with D'Addario EXP Phosphor Bronze 13s... but sometimes I get 80/20 Bronze 13s... and for one of my guitars I use Elixir Polyweb 12s because that's what I originally set it up for... but I really prefer the tone, feel, and longevity of D'addario EXPs over Elixirs. For my 12 string guitars I use D'addario EXP 80/20 Bronze 10s. I've used several sets of Martin SPs and they sound great also... they just don't last as long, but of course cost much less.
^ EXP 10s for the 12-string rule...my guitar was 1000 times better after I installed those, and two months in they still sound great...which is awesome since 12-strings means twice the hassle of replacing strings!

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Jimtaka...originally set it up for Elixirs, huh? By any chance you playa Taylor guitar? Because Taylor guitars come with Elixir strings from the factory.
^ I think it was his alvarez...have a feeling.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
nah, actually it's a takamine gs330s. i can't remember if it came with elixirs on it originally or not, but i know that i had it professionally set up after i'd had it about a year and i had the luthier set it up with elixir lights. my alvarez actually has martin sps on it right now because i was without a job for about 4 weeks and decided it'd be smarter at the time to go with 5 dollar strings instead of 12 dollar strings.

and about the d'addario 12 string strings... i love them because they are the only strings i have tried that keep me from breaking the octave g string after a couple weeks. oddly enough, elixirs seem to be the MOST likely to break for me.