So I had a full 4x12 for my room and some jamming before and it was TOO loud for the room...well, at least when people were at home.

Would a head with a 2x12 cab still be too loud or is that workable?
it'd probably still be pretty loud. what amp are you using? a 4x12 just projects better and has more bass response and yada yada.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
2x12's aren't as boomy which accounts for a lot of the excessive volume. It should tame it down quite a bit.

A 2x12 cab and head will still be very loud, and very giggable.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Yup, I'll say the same. In fact, my 2x12 coupled with my Roadster blew away my friend's 120 watt Blue Voodoo and matching 4x12, and my amp was on half power/spongy, which cuts the total output power down quite a bit.
Quote by TwoString
Yup, I'll say the same. In fact, my 2x12 coupled with my Roadster blew away my friend's 120 watt Blue Voodoo and matching 4x12, and my amp was on half power/spongy, which cuts the total output power down quite a bit.

If you use the same head you'll notice a pretty big difference though. Roadsters are waaay thicker than Blue Voodoos. I myself use the spongy mode, it's more liquidy and dynamic .

The quality of cabs has a lot to do with it as well. A cheaper 4x12 won't have as good of tone as a similar priced 2x12. Open back vs. Closed back has a lot to do with it. The elevation of the amp matters a lot too. If your 2x12 is about 4 inches off the ground compared to sitting right on it you'll notice a change in the amount of bass and presence.

In general a 2x12 will be quite a bit more useable, but there are a few factors that play a pretty big role.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Would a 120 watt 2x12 combo be pretty freakin loud too? O_o
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
I jam out on my Roadster quite often at what most would consider "bedroom" levels. It just depends on what volume you play at. You'll have the same amount of power coming from the amp either way. I would say what you would need is an attenuator, but a 2x12 is also a better investment...do you really need a 4x12?
no no no Im NOT getting a 4x12. I had it...sold it. Im considering getting a combo but then I thought of a 2x12 with a head just in case I would want to upgrade later on..
Okay, I get what you're saying now. And for future reference, a Mesa Roadster or Road King coupled with a closed back 2x12 AND an open back 2x12 is pure magic, especially with the cab switching feature on the Road King.
I don't know, my current 212 halfstack is louder and punchier than any 412 halfstack I've ever had (the list is not short). Admittedly I'm using better stuff now, but still...
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM