Alright, my buddy is wanting to start learning guitar, I can teach him and everything, BUT he doesn't have a guitar or amp..He has a budget of about $500, and he wants to play Rock. You guys have any suggestoins for a good guitar or amp? I suggested a cheap Fender/Epiphone, and a Roland Micro Cube, but hey, what do I know.

Thanks guys.

Guitar- Clicky

Amp- Clicky
The Microcube is an awesome little amp, and perfect for beginners. For the guitar though, I would atleast get him a Fat strat for rock, the bridge humbucker will be better in the long run. Thats just my opinion though. What you have chosen is a good beginner setup.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
The Microcube is an awesome little amp, and perfect for beginners. For the guitar though, I would atleast get him a Fat strat for rock, the bridge humbucker will be better in the long run. Thats just my opinion though. What you have chosen is a good beginner setup.

+1, HSS strat would be probably a better idea.

also check some of the vox valvetronixes- the general consensus is that the voxes are better for vintage tones and not-too-heavy rock, while the cubes are better for modern higher gain stuff, hard rock and metal.

but your suggestions were definitely pretty good for a starting off point.

^ i haven't tried those squiers, but I'm guessing a fender standard MIM fat strat would be higher quality...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hmm, alright..I found this on Musician's Friend, Clicky Would that be good enough? The Fender HSS's are a bit over his budget and for the amp, Found one that would probably be a good size for him.. Clicky
What do you think? o.O

EDIT:

Or...I found this package, It comes with an HSS and a G-Dec Junior Amp.. Clicky That look like a very good deal?
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
Last edited by I Be Andyy at Oct 10, 2007,
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=516039

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Micro-Cube-Combo-Amp?sku=481169

you're talking like an extra $25... if you ask me, tell him to suck it up and find some way to get another $25.

alternatively: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-DA5-Portable-Amplifier-?sku=482065 though i haven't tried the vox da5.

he'll need a cord/lead, strat and plectrum too, but if you buy it from a local store, you should be able to get them to throw that in.

alternatively, godins are pretty nice, and i hear good things about michael kellys. Though I haven't tried the MK's. Similar price, though.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ahh, Thanks dave..I somehow over looked that fender.. and, we're going for the Roland Micro now eh? I've heard good things.. Thanks Mate!
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
Quote by I Be Andyy
Alright, thanks

EDIT: Hmm, well I found two pretty cool guitars that I think he might like..

Affinity Detonator w/ Killswitch

Fat Strat

Any opinions on these?

If you get a squire then pay the extra 50 bucks and get the standard series, they are miles ahead of the affinity series guitars. My two friends both have the affinity series and they keep having problems with them and they are super light. The standard series is heavier and more solid plus they bridge is so much better, the saddles are solid and are enclosed instead an open piece of metal and they sound much better over all. I do own the standard series and I can tell you that the extra 50 bucks is well worth it, I started learning on my friends affinity squire and the neck alone feels so much better.
Well I know the fender is better than the squier but, I saw the fender at like 1,000 and the squier at like $200, I didn't really pay too close attention

Oh by the way, is there any cord you guys want to suggest? I'm really not too good with cords
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
Last edited by I Be Andyy at Oct 10, 2007,
Better than Squier or low end Epis as a starter guitar: Yamaha Pacifica

The Microcube or Vox AD/DA 15 would be good choices on the amp.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
valve jr+one of those floyd rose guitars, they seem descent...either that, or a squier, or a epi. Maybe an agile?
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Def. go for the Fender HSS. And for rock the cube is a great idea. Or a Vox which will be my setup soon hopefully (except Fender Strat Highway One HSS and Vox AC30 2x12) I play mainly rock too and it gives great tone. The only thing is with the Vox, I don't know about the Vox DA5 but the AC30 has gain but not enough without a pedal for some harder rock songs. Anyone know if DA5 is the same? Also I've never played this but it looks decent http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Pathfinder-15R-Guitar-Amp-with-Reverb?sku=481948
My Setup
Fender Stratocaster Highway One HSS
Marshall Lead 12 Combo 5005
Quote by I Be Andyy
ahh, Thanks dave..I somehow over looked that fender.. and, we're going for the Roland Micro now eh? I've heard good things.. Thanks Mate!

Quote by I Be Andyy
Oh by the way, is there any cord you guys want to suggest? I'm really not too good with cords

just don't cheap out too much- i know the lowest planet waves lead here is like £10... with any luck, in the states, it's $10. Not as good as a real boutique cord, but decent for the price, I'd have thought.

Quote by slatsmania
Better than Squier or low end Epis as a starter guitar: Yamaha Pacifica

The Microcube or Vox AD/DA 15 would be good choices on the amp.

+1 if your friend can't stretch to the fender.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ +1
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Quote by Dave_Mc

alternatively: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-DA5-Portable-Amplifier-?sku=482065 though i haven't tried the vox da5.

I have it and I can recomend it to you mate. It's a great amp for practicing and whatnot and it's even alright for jamming with people. It's battery powered and powered by the mains, so you can take it around with you. Some nice clean tones but the distorted tones aren't great. The effects are pretty good though, a good introduction to the world of effects really...

Edit: The Valvetronix series are also good ones to check out, as well as the Epi Valve Junior.
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr