i've been playing guitar for about 1 1/2 years now and i love thrash metal... i can play some lead (mainly pentatonic scale) but i really want to start learning to shred.. i can solo but just not over the type of music i like... i play about 3 hours a day (just for fun not for practicing shredding) on school days and all day on weekends but i dont know how to practice shredding... i cant take lessons and no one in my area can shred so ill have to learn on my own... so i guess here are my questions : 1.) how many hours do I need to be playing on school days 2.) What do I need to practice 3.) How should I practice (do i just play whatever or do I need strict exercises and guitar "workouts" i do everyday increasing speed................. i know what shredding is but i dont what i should be doing to start off..... see i always play for fun... practice scales, make up songs, cover songs, etc..... but shredding seems to be less fun and more discipline..i just wanna know what to start off practicing because i can't sweep barre chords at 346414190478341 bpm lol... all help appreciated
i play max 5 min a day because my parents are weird AND i can play 200bpm. you just have to focus whenever you do practice, and practice the RIGHT THING

just do seriously alt pick exercises and sweeping, start slow. string crossing/skipping.

SCALES. LOTS AND LOTS OF SCALES. if you only do one thing, do SCALES. in every possible permutation. in thirds. fifths. octaves. (not double stops, but like, do one note, then the note a third above it etc)

you want to integrate technique development with "what you're going to use" which would be scales, so do scales in a way that improves your technique.
i have a 'white guitar'
Quote by .fallen
i play max 5 min a day because my parents are weird AND i can play 200bpm. you just have to focus whenever you do practice, and practice the RIGHT THING

just do seriously alt pick exercises and sweeping, start slow. string crossing/skipping.

SCALES. LOTS AND LOTS OF SCALES. if you only do one thing, do SCALES. in every possible permutation. in thirds. fifths. octaves. (not double stops, but like, do one note, then the note a third above it etc)

you want to integrate technique development with "what you're going to use" which would be scales, so do scales in a way that improves your technique.

Wow youre the biggest poser Ive ever met in my entire online life.

You cant play for more than 5 minutes a day? Why would that be? Please enlighten us. And play 200bpm what, whole notes? Quarter notes? For 5 minutes a day I can't imagine any faster then that.

It seems like you just took random information that is given out in the MT and AT forums and pretend like you know what to do.

LOTS AND LOTS OF SCALES is REALLY REALLY WRONG, my friend. You only need 1-3 scales, really, unless you play on getting really experimental. You dont even use scales 100% in your playing, or at least you shouldn't, same goes for theory. Its meant to give you that knowledge and pushing that you need to let your ideas come out, its NOT something you need to change your ideas to accomodate.

Id like to see a video of you playing. Can you please tell me what you meant by the right thing to practice? As opposed to the wrong thing? To really be a shredder, you can't just focus on the "crazy super duper mega technical moves", it means you have to have a high degree of mastery over your instrument, not just play fast. You should practice everything and anything, instead of just techniques 24/7. Work on theory as well, and also have some time to just sit down and be creative, so you don't go stale.
try Vai's 10-hour workout. It is on ultimate-guitar under Steve Vai. I wouldn't do it fo 10 hours though, maybe 1 to 3 and then get to where you can start practicing some fun shred songs (I like John 5), but I'm in my begining stages of shred too, and I am quite horrible.
firstly. excuse me if i sound like a poser, and i will excuse you for being ignorant and narrow minded.

lots and lots of scales means practice scales a lot, rather than play a million different scales.
and judging from the loose definition of scale you people are using, then yes, everything you play is a scale if you're simply using scale to mean a sequence of notes.

unfortunately there would be no point in explaining my situation seeing as you already think i'm a five year old with a keyboard and a mouse. if you want i will be extremely generous and add that i used to practice on my friends classical at school. "five minutes a day" is also a euphemism for "practice when your parents are out and dont even think about touching it when they're home if not your mom will kick you in the balls again." but once again, thats irrelevant.

the point is, you can still get somewhere on a limited time budget as long as you're focused. and seeing as he has a lot of time at his disposal, it should come pretty quickly.

i also forgot to mention 10 years of classical training, the ability to write out a piece upon hearing it and the ability to look at an orchestral score and hear it in your head. But what help would that do? hmm? maybe thats why i can survive on scales only, but i'm offering help from personal experience.
i have a 'white guitar'
Yeah, you did forget to mention that. Grrr!

Also, your mom kicks you in the balls? Dude, that must make for a weird outlook on the whole woman thing.
i also realized this is kind of hilarious because chances are people like third poster would just be like homgwtfbbqevenmoreposer!1!!11!one! so theres really no point in posting here, but i wanted to clarify the "lots and lots of scales" issue.
i have a 'white guitar'
Even people who have a broad range of scale "patterns" under their belt don't always know how to use them properly. It's one thing to know the shape and fly through it.. But its even more important to know how and why those scales work! Understanding the chords and the note relation is key even to someone whose looking for all out speed. When your flying at 200bpm you'll want to know which note to lay on to make some sort of impact.

Practice to simple chord vamps that bring out tones, obviously you'll want to get familiar with the major scale and its modes. Use backing tracks or record your own using simple one or two chord vamps to get a feel for the notes your using. One of the things I always suggest to anyone is learn the scales on each single string up and down the neck. this will keep you out of the back and fourth box shapes so many guys are stuck in... It lets you see the fretboard much more clearly as well.

Keep it clean and use a metronome... no one wants to hear someone play sloppy especially fast sloppy. So watch your technique and build slow speed will come in time.
just play a lot. and don't overreach. it's better to play something slow and well then fast and sloppy. don't worry too much about speed. everyone wants to get faster, but there's no magic solution. just practice practice practice practice practice and you'll get faster.

(also please note: speed is NOT the be all and end all when it comes to playing guitar)
hmm..maybe i should add that to my sig, too.
just play as fast as you can with a 40 oz and some tv. everyday. for 2-3 years. but realistically, just sit with your guitar while you watch tv and play during commercials and even try to learn the songs in the commercials
Quote by .fallen
firstly. excuse me if i sound like a poser, and i will excuse you for being ignorant and narrow minded.

lots and lots of scales means practice scales a lot, rather than play a million different scales.
and judging from the loose definition of scale you people are using, then yes, everything you play is a scale if you're simply using scale to mean a sequence of notes.

unfortunately there would be no point in explaining my situation seeing as you already think i'm a five year old with a keyboard and a mouse. if you want i will be extremely generous and add that i used to practice on my friends classical at school. "five minutes a day" is also a euphemism for "practice when your parents are out and dont even think about touching it when they're home if not your mom will kick you in the balls again." but once again, thats irrelevant.

the point is, you can still get somewhere on a limited time budget as long as you're focused. and seeing as he has a lot of time at his disposal, it should come pretty quickly.

i also forgot to mention 10 years of classical training, the ability to write out a piece upon hearing it and the ability to look at an orchestral score and hear it in your head. But what help would that do? hmm? maybe thats why i can survive on scales only, but i'm offering help from personal experience.

lol so either u started playing guitar with classical training at the age of 7 (can u even play barre chords with those little fingers?) or ur older than 18 and still live with ur mommy and daddy (do the math:the oldest u can be if ur not 18+ and live with ur parents is 17, so 10 years of classical training means u started at age 7. wat'd u play when u were 7? a little toy guitar?) ...and if ur 18, ur parents probably cant control wat u do, especially playing guitar at home, right? lol u suck at lying...and ur parents probably wouldn't have bought u a guitar if they didn't want u to practice right?
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
Last edited by musicfreak003 at Oct 10, 2007,
Quote by musicfreak003
lol so either u started playing guitar with classical training at the age of 7 (can u even play barre chords with those little fingers?) or ur older than 18 and still live with ur mommy and daddy (do the math:the oldest u can be if ur not 18+ and live with ur parents is 17, so 10 years of classical training means u started at age 7. wat'd u play when u were 7? a little toy guitar?) ...and if ur 18, ur parents probably cant control wat u do, especially playing guitar at home, right? lol u suck at lying...and ur parents probably wouldn't have bought u a guitar if they didn't want u to practice right?

Actually, if his profile birthdate is right, he's 16.

You can learn most instruments at the age of 6 though, so don't take the piss if he really has been learning since then...
Learn scales... Practice them.... Alot !

Also practice some chromatic excersizes with a metronome if you find speed an issue
Shred is really just picking very fast.

Don't confuse it with tremelo though.

The more you practise the faster you'll get, but i've never really practised. I just play songs - and i find you get better just as quick as you would if you played scales for an hour.
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
Quote by musicfreak003

owned. yeah seriously i just don't believe one word that kid says at all. i'm probably better than him and i've been playing for seven months. what makes that sad is the fact that i only play 2 min every day and can play in excess of 300 bpm!!!! lets not forget my 20 years of classical that backs that **** up.
I've been playing 21 years and find I can play fast enough for my liking, but I remember getting frustrated when I started to learn and wanted to be a malmsteen over night, just take your time at it, if your picking hand and fret hand get out of sync, slow it down, cause then you'll just sound sloppy, work your way up, 21 years and I'm still learning alot and consider myself just to be "okay" at guitar. I've been lazy the last few years and cut back on how much I pick, tend to do alot of legato now instead but I find it to my liking and really smooth sounding. what I really need to work at is being a better rhythm guitarist, I'd make that a priority first.
Quote by musicfreak003

What?

At 7 it's very possible to play a full size guitar, hell, Disiree Bassett started playing guitar when she was 3, and was playing Joe Satriani songs when she was 5 on a full size guitar.

You suck at general ignorance, and spelling.

Quote by Donkey Fly

It's really not.
Quote by Donkey Fly

Don't confuse it with tremelo though.

The more you practise the faster you'll get, but i've never really practised. I just play songs - and i find you get better just as quick as you would if you played scales for an hour.

no. just no.

improve your technique by playing exercises slowly with a metronome and make sure you're playing the exercise cleanly and with good timing. study theory and use what you've learned to improv over some backing tracks.

accuracy is more important than speed, and musicality is more important than both of them.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Magazines r always good places to start, alot of them contain some shred practice stuff, from players such as Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai etc. If you don't have a metronome, buy one ASAP.
And don't worry how long you should play each day, just play whenever you want. Sometimes i find myself playing for say 3 hours and not learning much, an other times i can learn a lot more in say 1 hour.
Just keep playing and you'll be fine
"It's funny how most people love the dead. Once you're dead, you're made for life" - Jimi Hendrix

Quote by TheClincher
Is it incest if I had sex with my brother in law's half sister? Because if it is, it was so ****ing worth it.
Quote by musicfreak003

I actually started playing on a full size classical guitar when I was just 8 and no problem at all. Just practice and time. So why not?

And to the TS, do what Silky Smooth said. I think that's one of the best ways to learn the fretboard and the harmonies, and how to use them properly.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby