I think the main advantage to the TOM + stop tail is better overall intonation and easier adjustment. Some also say the TOM + stop tail/string through has better sustain.
better feel, adjustability, and sustain from a TOM

you can top wrap them to eliminate string breakage, tension, and this increases sustain!
If they both have adjustable intonation, I don't think there would be much of a difference, other than if you wanted to rest your hand on something then the TOM would give you a place to put it. TOMs are certainly easier to intonate, but it's not like you have to do that every time you play.
Now that I think about it, I wonder if the extra string length with the TOM bridge would make some sort of difference- I know it's not vibrating, but those hollowbodies with the absurd trapeze tailpieces seem to have some extra ring to them. I wonder then if a TOM wouldn't have a tad more sustain or ring.

Edit: A TOM would be a tad bit easier to bend too- since you have that little bit of extra give over the bridge. A disadvantage that I encounter occasionally is the 'slice your hand open on the saddles' issue.
Last edited by -heartbreaker- at Oct 10, 2007,