I am planning on buy a bass entirely for customization, & in a second hand store a found a SX Custom jazz style bass for a reasonable price, i will be replacing the pick ups, repainting, de-fretting & possibly adding a new bridge, however the store won't let me try it out, so i was wondering if anyone here had any experience with them? The neck in particular.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
What kind of store is that? Tell them you're not buying it if you can't try it.

With SXs, I find the worst part is usually the fret job, but you're defretting it so it's not so much of a problem. The necks aren't the best, but they're quite playable. They (apparrently) use proper woods (like alder) so that's a plus. The electronics are pretty crap so you'd probably want to replace all of it (including the pots etc.) and shield the thing properly. Might want to consider new tuners too, play it and see how it stays in tune.

Also keep in mind that older SXs (like any older than a few years) are really, really crap.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by xifr
What kind of store is that? Tell them you're not buying it if you can't try it.

With SXs, I find the worst part is usually the fret job, but you're defretting it so it's not so much of a problem. The necks aren't the best, but they're quite playable. They (apparrently) use proper woods (like alder) so that's a plus. The electronics are pretty crap so you'd probably want to replace all of it (including the pots etc.) and shield the thing properly. Might want to consider new tuners too, play it and see how it stays in tune.

Also keep in mind that older SXs (like any older than a few years) are really, really crap.

The thing is its an SX 'Custom' which I've never even heard of, & its more expensive than a standard new SX bass (285$), I already knew about the problems with standard SX's

Thanks for tryin though

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
Just because it costs more doesn't mean it's any better. Make sure you get to try it out or I'd say don't bother. SX basses can be sorely disappointing if you're looking for a good quality bass. Since you're planning on fixing it up, it might not be too bad, however.
SX basses are worth the money you pay for the wood they're built of alone.

It doesn't hurt that they're decent quality instruments anyway, though. Good foundations for people who want to mod up an instrument.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
If it's a project bass, wood quality is all that really matters...especially if you'll be defretting it. Happy modding
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
It doesn't matter if it says "SX Custom" don't pay more than you would for a regular SX for it.
haha
perhaps even consider a warmoth build?
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Quote by Double Basser
perhaps even consider a warmoth build?

i would, but warmoth is to expensive for my budget & shipping to New Zealand is rather expensive, i dont even know if warmoth do ship to NZ =P

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
^ ahhh fair call, i know warmoth goes to australia but if it's out of your price range that's not gonna help.

Look when SX was Samick they were atrocious, i would take a Squier over them (and that's saying something) but nowadays they are average or better in the poverty pack instrument catergory. be a good thing to mod
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
yea, it kinda sucks.

my first bass was a samick, the wood & neck was nice but pups were horrible, so I'm thinking i might go for it, i just need a bit more cash...

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm