Page 1 of 2
Why everyone thinks Tom Morello is one of the greatest guitarists of all time.
Sure, he does some original and very interesting stuff, but if you had his equipment, so could you.
Technically he's not particularly flexible, he doesn't play with feeling, he doesn't play fast.
So tell me, why do you think he's so brilliant? And back it up with evidence.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of RATM, and his playing to me is simplistic, but it works and sounds good.
~ J6hn
Oh yeah.

*reported*
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
How can he be the best when Synyster Gates is??
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
Quote by RaNdoM-FeLiX
How can he be the best when Synyster Gates is??

Yeah! Fast, sloppy playing for the win!
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
i dont think he was talking to you.

EDIT: that was to Aqua Dementia
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
Last edited by RaNdoM-FeLiX at Oct 10, 2007,
Quote by Aqua Dementia
Oh because speed determines skill level eh?

gb2 dragonforce.

Did you just completely ignore I wrote "Technically he's not particularly flexible, he doesn't play with feeling"
Jesus...
~ J6hn
I am not sure you could have thought of his ideas, even with his equipment.

Also, he can play fast...have you heard Rage's self titled?

Also, how do you know he doesn't play with feeling?
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
Quote by terrencemaddox
I am not sure you could have thought of his ideas, even with his equipment.

Also, he can play fast...have you heard Rage's sefl titled?

Also, how do you know he doesn;t play with feeling?

You wouldn't have thought of tapping if Van Halen didn't reintroduce it.
Show me where he does play with feeling, I did say back up with evidence.
~ J6hn
Quote by Asthia
Did you just completely ignore I wrote "Technically he's not particularly flexible, he doesn't play with feeling"
Jesus...

Nope, but I did spot a troll in the pit.

GTFO
Quote by Asthia

Since when do other people determine when someone plays with feeling or not?

If the guitarist feel it, it doesn't matter if its fast or slow, he could be shedding tears, and just because it's not slow you classify as having no feeling?
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
IF you choose to say that, will you say Dragonforce has feeling? Or any other mindless shred? Because the guitarist MIGHT be shredding tears?
Are you saying it doesn't matter what the audience/listener hears?
and also... EVIDENCE.
~ J6hn
Quote by Asthia
IF you choose to say that, will you say Dragonforce has feeling? Or any other mindless shred? Because the guitarist MIGHT be shredding tears?
and also... EVIDENCE.

EdwardtheGreat said shedding tears, not shredding.

Try reading the post, Stevie Wonder.

should i give evidence on how pointless and stupid this thread is?

how do you know he doesnt play with feeling?
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
he doesn't play fast

Listen to the Doesn't Remind Me and Know Your Enemy solos.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hey y'all!!! Me and my friend were over at her house. I we were wonder what guys think when they see a hot girl at the mall or whatever walk by. (We're both pretty as y'all would say "blonde" sometimes).

Quote by rabidguitarist
I just look like some homo.
Whoops, haha.
Either way, I bet you he wasn't shedding tears when he wrote any of his solos :P
~ J6hn
Quote by Asthia
Whoops, haha.
Either way, I bet you he wasn't shedding tears when he wrote any of his solos :P

Do you shed tears when you write solos?
give us evidence on that theory asthia
Quote by Asthia
Whoops, haha.

Do you? Does slash? Did Hendrix?

EDIT- Damnit beaten to it
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
Quote by Asthia
Whoops, haha.

Were you there when he wrote each and every guitar part? I think not, so you have no clue as to whether or not he shed a single tear, or a river.

Like you said in your first post: Evidence.

Give me evidence that he didn't shed any tears while writing a guitar part.
Quote by Asthia
and also... EVIDENCE.

wtf kind of evidence do you want, if you're talking about something subjective? To me he sounds amazing, to you sounds not so amazing, simple as that. Now shush.

EDIT: Also, lets cut the whole emotion bs, k?
<Omri> I love trannys too..
Quote by 7daycrisis
Do you shed tears when you write solos?

Am I comparing myself to Tom Morello? No.

Aaand
Next time I meet Tom Morello I'll ask him if he shed tears when he wrote his solos okay?
:P

EDIT- Evidence? I'm talking about videos or songs.
~ J6hn
Quote by Hells_Bell
wtf kind of evidence do you want, if you're talking about something subjective? To me he sounds amazing, to you sounds not so amazing, simple as that. Now shush.

EDIT: Also, lets cut the whole emotion bs, k?

I agree, no more.

Someone needs to close this thread
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
Quote by Asthia
Am I comparing myself to Tom Morello? No.

Aaand
Next time I meet Tom Morello I'll ask him if he shed tears when he wrote his solos okay?
:P

OK while you're at it ask every guitarist YOU think is great if they shed tears while they wrote. Then come back with the answers.
dude you really should just stop, there is no way you can come back from being shut down like this, by so many people
Quote by 7daycrisis
OK while you're at it ask every guitarist YOU think is great if they shed tears while they wrote. Then come back with the answers.

Did I say the guitarists I like shed tears when they write solos?
You don't even know what I listen to!
Someone else brought up crying, ask them if it's really a valid point.
~ J6hn
Quote by Asthia

Are you joking?

What does tapping have to do with this? Where are you going with that? Yes, you have to explain yourself.

Also, what have you done to think that you can decide whether or not someone shows emotion in their playing? Is there a scientific method? How are you one to decide?

However, if you want my OPINION, I think his playing shows a lot of emotion. His guitar playing supports songs about issues he cares deeply about (examples Born of a Broken Man, Killing in the Name and People of the Sun). That is what comes across to me whenever I listen to those songs.

However, like I said, how do you think you can judge what is or isn't emotional? Are you one of those people that thinks that it has to include tons of bluesy bends to be emotional? What the hell, man?
Miss Scourge? PM me.

Quote by Asthia
Did I say the guitarists I like shed tears when they write solos?
You don't even know what I listen to!
Someone else brought up crying, ask them if it's really a valid point.

Rancid. Dream Theater. Hot Water Music. Opeth.

Am I not right?
This thread smells like fail

It's been reported, stop posting people!
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Quote by Aqua Dementia
Rancid. Dream Theater. Hot Water Music. Opeth.

Am I not right?

Did I say they played emotionally?

Quote by terrencemaddox
Are you joking?

What does tapping have to do with this? Where are you going with that? Yes, you have to explain yourself.

It's a technique, just like what Tom Morello does, therefor is relevant. He was arguing I wouldn't have invented Tom's style, well he wouldn't have invented Halen's style either, a lot of guitarists have invented things but it doesn't mean they're the best at it.
~ J6hn
Quote by Asthia

Did he say yo usaid that? He was simply showing, when you said we dont know what you listen to, we do. Idiot0r
Quote by Asthia

It's a technique, just like what Tom Morello does, therefor is relevant. He was arguing I wouldn't have invented Tom's style, well he wouldn't have invented Halen's style either, a lot of guitarists have invented things but it doesn't mean they're the best at it.

Yeah, including Van Halen.

I still don't know how this applies to your main argument though. Are you taking a shot at his originality?

EDIT: And why did you choose to ignore the rest of my post?
Miss Scourge? PM me.

Quote by 7daycrisis
Did he say yo usaid that? He was simply showing, when you said we dont know what you listen to, we do. Idiot0r

well said, and from a fellow kiwi too! shame about the world cup though...
Quote by 7daycrisis

It is however irrelevant to my actual subject. They were just trying to bring me into this and my tastes, which have nothing to do with this.
EDIT - He tried to bag me, I was attempting to clear that up and move on.

And terrencemaddox, no. I whole-heartedly accept that he was very innovative and clever with his CREATION of his effects. But in the same position, a lot of people here could easily reproduce the same sound.
~ J6hn
Quote by Asthia
It is however irrelevant to my actual subject. They were just trying to bring me into this and my tastes, which have nothing to do with this.

And terrencemaddox, no. I whole-heartedly accept that he was very innovative and clever with his CREATION of his effects. But in the same position, a lot of people here could easily reproduce the same sound.

Yeah, but who DID produce the sounds?
Quote by Asthia
EDIT - He tried to bag me, I was attempting to clear that up and move on.

I appreciate your maturity in arguing your point man. I really appreciate that.

I do however agree with whoever said that he was the one to produce many fo them. Yes, he did get ideas from other guitarists, but he took them to other places, and some of his ideas I can't place with any other guitarist( though I cannot prove they have not been done before).

However, what I was saying about ignoring my post wasn;t meant to be rude...it was about the emotion he shows. I am not trying to be rude, but I want to see where you are coming from here.

Again, thanks for arguing with me like a gentleman and I will make sure I do the same
Miss Scourge? PM me.

Quote by 7daycrisis
Yeah, but who DID produce the sounds?

Do they make him one of the best GUITARISTS or musical engineers?
~ J6hn
Page 1 of 2