Hey everyone. I recently found a 1985 Ibanez PR1660 at a local music store. It looks great and it's in awesome condition, although I do plan to change out the pickups. Any thoughts or suggestions?
1980's Ibanez is kickass. I've never actually tried the PR1660, but the neck should be the same as the ones on most of their production models at the time.

This guitar has a Pro Rocker bridge, which is one of Ibanez unique bridges they made before the original Edge was introduced and it also features an early version of the now standard Ibanez pointy headstock

The PR1660 is a rare beast these days and was at the top of the roadstar line when it was released.

If you have the opportunity to get one of these, do it.

By the way, if you want to know whether those necks are fast and the trema are decent, don't ask me, ask Paul Gilbert and not just any Paul Gilbert, 1988 Paul Gilbert:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qBLo4ZKZDLo
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Oct 10, 2007,
^

I doubt you'd want to switch the pickups on that. The V5s are really something, especially if you're looking to play heavy stuff with it. Mid and bass response on them is like a sledge to the head.

The problem with Pro Rockers is that they don't stand the test of poor maintenance too well. The bridge sits on a round pivot as opposed to a knife edge, and that contact point is more affected by oxidation. Sometimes you can easily clean it up, but sometimes - if the guitar sat in a humid environment for a long time, the trem might be completely bust.

If the 1660 is in awesome condition, like you said, I'd definitely buy it. You'll have the most unique guitar on the block, which comes with great quality and sweet features.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Here's some news... After playing it more, I found some buzzing around the 17th/ 18th frets. It sounds like the neck might just need to be pressed, but could this also be because of the bridge being poorly maintained?? It has been hanging on the wall of a guitar store for a few years
Quote by hurricanenita
Here's some news... After playing it more, I found some buzzing around the 17th/ 18th frets. It sounds like the neck might just need to be pressed, but could this also be because of the bridge being poorly maintained?? It has been hanging on the wall of a guitar store for a few years

Could be due to:

-the action being to low
-the tuning being to low for the string gauge
-the trussrod needs adjusting.

By the way, hanging a guitar doesn't harm it, so that's not the problem.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!