Another thing i just somehow never learnt.

Whats the difference between a major and a minor key? Because all keys are guna hav major chords and minor chords in them, wot makes the key major or minor, i dont get it.
well from what I understand

a key is major when the III is just normal; two whole tones above the root. a key is minor when the third is flattened to a bIII; so one whole tone and one semitone above the root.
The reason there are major chords and minor chords that fit into certain major or minor scales is because of the particular notes in that scale.

example: the notes in A minor are: A B C D E F G
Quote by yawn
There are most certainly not the same thing. They share the same notes, but then again a hamburger and vomit could share the same molecular composition.

Need a laugh?

Quote by GeneralGrim
Lmao. You, sir, just made my year.
well from what I understand

a key is major when the III is just normal; two whole tones above the root. a key is minor when the third is flattened to a bIII; so one whole tone and one semitone above the root.
The reason there are major chords and minor chords that fit into certain major or minor scales is because of the particular notes in that scale.

example: the notes in A minor are: A B C D E F G
the notes in A major are: A B C# D E F G

Therefore the chords that will be in that key can only be comprised of those notes, eg in key of A minor you have to play an A minor chord because the C# that is played in A major is flattened to C.

there are tonnes of theory lessons on this site, check em out
Quote by yawn
There are most certainly not the same thing. They share the same notes, but then again a hamburger and vomit could share the same molecular composition.

Need a laugh?

Quote by GeneralGrim
Lmao. You, sir, just made my year.
This is a Music Theory question.

Go to Musican Talk. You know where that is, right? You've made 4 posts there.

READ the Music Theory FAQ Guide.

I'll report this thread so it can be closed.

*Reported*

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.