Hi, i guess this is sort of yet another venting thread. I'm in a high school band and we write a few decent songs (by that i mean compared to any other band at my school). The only problem is that me the singer/bass player and the other guitarists all write our own songs. The thing is all of them are different in style, so i figure we need to sit down and discuss what we want to do and who our main songwriter is. But hell i know we will never be able to settle on one genre, and all our music will be a bad mix of rock, metal and emo. In this situation were we are all to stubborn to do anything (to be honest i will step aside, but the other 2 will fight for their songs). Do you think we are destined for epic fail?
Quote by aradine
i wish i got disowned by my grandparents so i could stay home tommorow and fap.

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX

Amps:
Vox Valvetronix 30
Quote by soulflyV
Well there is no emo "sound", so it's just the lyrics that are emo. So really its a competition between metal and rock. Scissors are part metal, so they lose to rock. Rock it is. Just get the singer to make the words pretty much undistinguishable.

thats brilliant!
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
There is a reason that a band is called a 'band' and not an 'individual' if you know what I mean. I would say that it's fine to bring your own flavour and ideas to the table, but in the end, you're a band, and you need to collaborate and find your own sound.
Quote by kriscornella2@g
I know i wish i was as cool as you and be into Sum 41 and Taking back Sunday. Gaylord.

Quote by civildp1
you should call one of the songs, "Respecting Old People" just to mix things up.

Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
You just made a very powerful enemy BenFoffenbock.
Thats what I mean. At the rate we are going we wont find our own sound. I guess we will have to battle it out next band practice, sit the metal guy down and tell him everyone likes rock :P
Quote by aradine

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX

Amps:
Vox Valvetronix 30
Quote by t3h guitar n00b
Thats what I mean. At the rate we are going we wont find our own sound. I guess we will have to battle it out next band practice, sit the metal guy down and tell him everyone likes rock :P

I think that's your problem right there; you can't really have a functioning band when one guy likes ska, another likes Christian rap, and another likes Nikki Webster.
Quote by kriscornella2@g
I know i wish i was as cool as you and be into Sum 41 and Taking back Sunday. Gaylord.

Quote by civildp1
you should call one of the songs, "Respecting Old People" just to mix things up.

Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
You just made a very powerful enemy BenFoffenbock.
Quote by BenFoffenbock
I think that's your problem right there; you can't really have a functioning band when one guy likes ska, another likes Christian rap, and another likes Nikki Webster.

LOL dont be silly no one likes nikki webster
You do realise that there doesnt have to be ONE songwriter, write songs Together.
Yes I do realize this, but we try, and the rhythm guitarists will be like, do like, "bleeding out my eyes" or something like that, then try and do it, i guess this thread is over anyway, its clear that we have to come to some sort of decision, thanks for the help.
Quote by aradine

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX

Amps:
Vox Valvetronix 30
Quote by t3h guitar n00b
Hi, i guess this is sort of yet another venting thread. I'm in a high school band and we write a few decent songs (by that i mean compared to any other band at my school). The only problem is that me the singer/bass player and the other guitarists all write our own songs. The thing is all of them are different in style, so i figure we need to sit down and discuss what we want to do and who our main songwriter is. But hell i know we will never be able to settle on one genre, and all our music will be a bad mix of rock, metal and emo. In this situation were we are all to stubborn to do anything (to be honest i will step aside, but the other 2 will fight for their songs). Do you think we are destined for epic fail?

Most bands that make it really big do so because they have an original sound. The way you get an original sound is to take other influences and mix them up in a new way. The best way to do that is to allow everybody in the band to bring their own influences into the writing.
Don't allow yourselves to settle on one genre, that just limits your abilities, just settle for getting the best that you can out of your band and strive to improve your individual playing abilities. The best way for an individual to improve playing ability is to try lots of different genres and the different techniques that come with them. That's why you get rock guitarists studying classical guitar.
If your band is made up from lots of different influences, use it to your advantage and learn from those influences. This will make the band gell better as eventualy everyone will be more intimate with each other's style and appreciate each others influences more.
The most important thing to get right in a band is making sure everyone gets along. Friction between band members ultimately leads to splits which ultimately leads to the band breaking up. To avoid this, treat the band as a democracy where everyone has a vote and agree to hold by the majority decision, even if you yourself disagree with it.
If you really want to just play your own stuff, leave the band and go and embark on a solo career. Or do the same as many members of famous bands do and have side projects to satisfy yourself.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Oct 10, 2007,
Just have everyone add bits and change bits of each others songs so all the songs are a blend of emo, metal and rock, rather than a few emo songs, a few metal songs and a few rock songs.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Thanks SlackerBabbath and whalepudding. We don't have any friction in the band, we are all great friends and i cant see us getting angry over an argument about songs. And i know what you mean by original sound, ill have a talk about that with the guys at school sometime.
Quote by aradine

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX

Amps:
Vox Valvetronix 30
We have the sort of same situation with my band, although we worked through it great. I was bringing in progressive/melodeath elements, and my guitarists were brining in Megadeth or Papa Roach style stuff. It's all a case of sitting down, working through people's ideas, and doing what's best for each song.
Quote by t3h guitar n00b
Thanks SlackerBabbath and whalepudding. We don't have any friction in the band, we are all great friends and i cant see us getting angry over an argument about songs. And i know what you mean by original sound, ill have a talk about that with the guys at school sometime.

Anytime bud.
Just remember, genres aren't for bands to decide, genres are just tools that music critics and writers use to convey what type of music they are reviewing or writing about and for music fans to describe to other music fans what you sound like.
It's best to just let those that listen to you decide what genre you are.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Oct 10, 2007,
Quote by soulflyV
Well there is no emo "sound", so it's just the lyrics that are emo. So really its a competition between metal and rock. Scissors are part metal, so they lose to rock. Rock it is. Just get the singer to make the words pretty much undistinguishable.

Lyrics are emo. Lyrics are written on paper. Paper covers rock! Emo wins!!!!

OH NOES!

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Lyrics are emo. Lyrics are written on paper. Paper covers rock! Emo wins!!!!

OH NOES!

But scissors are made of metal so....

.....ahhh.... forget it.