So I saw an add in the local paper for a Fender Acoustic "like new" for £80 ($160, remember Fenders cost a lot more than in the USA)

Anyway I thought it sounded like a pretty good deal especially since I don't own an acoustic yet, plus I am a bit of a Fender Fan Boy.

I texted the guy asking what model it is, no reply as yet but I'm going to guess it's going to be the bottom of the pile model.
Guitars Fender Highway 1 Telecaster, Vintage VS-6, Yamaha C-40 Classical
Amps Laney VC15, Crate GT212 *FOR SALE*
Pedals Fulltone OCD, Vox V847, Marshall The Echohead, EHX Small Clone, Korg DT-10

Member of the Laney Cult
To be honest you can get Fender acoustics for that price new. Naturally it depends on the model but Fender aren't renowned for making great acoustics.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Yeah, Fender's generally not the go-to for acoustic guitars tbh. Like Rankles said though it depends on the model- my sister's had one for three years and loves it. But that's really quite cheap so I don't know what to expect .

But it also depends on what you're using it for. You did say that you don't own one, so if you're not going to stick with acoustic then it wouldn't be necessary to save up for a supernice guitar.

If it's a local paper, any chance of getting with the owner prior to the official transaction and playing it? It's not irrational for you to ask to do that before you put down some cash. I am just of the strong belief that one ought to play a guitar before buying it.
Quote by Rankles
To be honest you can get Fender acoustics for that price new. Naturally it depends on the model but Fender aren't renowned for making great acoustics.

i agree with this, but it's certainly not true that Fender doesn't make SOME good acoustics. if you can play the guitar before you buy, go play it. if you like the way it sounds, feels, and looks and you think that is a good price, then go for it. if you aren't sure if it's a good deal, post back when you find out what model that guitar is and we'll go from there.
Yes it is a local paper hence why roadworks made the front cover! So I will try it out defiantly if I go forward with the purchase.

This guy is the worst seller ever I've given him most of the day to tell me the model but still no reply.

And also thanks for the info saying Fender's don't make especially good guitars, I'm not looking for an uber guitar just a pick-up-and-play-every-once-in-a-while kinda thing, but obviously tone and playability are still important.
Guitars Fender Highway 1 Telecaster, Vintage VS-6, Yamaha C-40 Classical
Amps Laney VC15, Crate GT212 *FOR SALE*
Pedals Fulltone OCD, Vox V847, Marshall The Echohead, EHX Small Clone, Korg DT-10

Member of the Laney Cult
There are not a lot of great fender acoustics but their are a few. When you find out what model it is then let us know and we can tell you if it's going to be worth checking out. If you can't get the guy to tell you the model number then I wouldn't even bother looking.
Not taking any online orders.
I've had a Fender Gemini II for 18 years (first guitar). it cost about £100 new at the time so a similar price bracket to what you are talking about. I must admit I was a clueless noob and bought it purely on the Fender name.

It was absolutely awful at first, terrible action, was barely playable. However I took it back to the shop and got it set up properly and it turns out to be not a bad guitar. The thing I like about it is thats its got a nice tone, quite bassy which I like. Sounds great for playing open chords and simple strumming.
However it's not great for more advanced playing. I've been playing The Rain Song on it a lot recently and have had some finger pain from the effort of holding down chords in different parts of the neck.

It's aged well. I recently done a major clean of it, took all the strings off and thouroughly cleaned the fretboard. I was amazed at how well it came out. Looks like new. A few frets are getting pretty worn but you expect that after 18 years.

It's only now that I am considering buying a new acoustic for use to play more advanced stuff. However I'm keeping my Fender for open chords and slide playing.

So make sure you check it out first, pay particular attention to the action and intonation but if they are OK then you could get a decent 'strumming' guitar pretty cheap.