Lets see,if I get a great amp maybe a JCM800,do I need to get a good guitar?Everyone's stressing the importance of a good amp.Maybe I'll pair the JCM800 with a useable guitar like the Epiphone Special II?Haha,I know the question's kinda wierd,but I'd just like to know how's that for an idea.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
A good guitar is obviously better than a bad one. But the type of guitar you "need" depends on what you'll be using it for. Are you going to be gigging, or just practicing?
If it stays in tune and is intonated properly, it will sound decent through an amp like that.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Just practising.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
A better guitars going to feel better than a bad one.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
one of the biggest factors of a guitar is its playability. If u can't play it or its hard for u to play it, then nothing can fix that, but if it has bad tone (by bad i dont mean like ****ty plywood body bad) it can be fixed with pickup replacements and good amplifiers.
so guitar mainly for playability, amp for most of sound
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
I think all that "AMP Is the best for getting good sound" Theory is bull****.

My Fernandes The Revival (Tele copy)

plugged into a MG15 in my house, sounds nice..
and I went to a shop and plugged into HOT ROD DELUXE (1200$ worth !)

and sounded, almost the same. couldn't hear any BIG diffrence if so- and I used my wah,
wich also gave me the same effect.

So my guess is that my Guitar put a "Bottle-Neck" to the amp :P
Quote by Guruda

and sounded, almost the same. couldn't hear any BIG diffrence if so- and I used my wah,

Or maybe you just can't tell tone. Amp > guitar, no matter what your little telecaster knock off makes you believe.
Dickless.
Quote by Guruda

dude...u have no ear for tone. that is completely not true. My cort k6 (mahogany body, set-thru construction, maple neck, ebony fretboard, EMG 81/85) sounds only a little bit better, if not the same, as a squire strat thru my fender frontman 15g. oh yea also, the hot rod deluxe is not 1200 USD. its alot less
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
If you're just practicing, then you could probably get by with a $99 guitar. I know I have been for the past three years.
Quote by Guruda

its not theory, its fact.

and yeah, a guitar has its own unique voice that you should hear from amp to amp, but in the end its the amplifier that you hear the sound from, not the guitar.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
An amp represents a bigger upgrade in sound than a guitar, I think thats what people are trying to say. No one's saying the guitar isn't important, but any playable guitar is going to sound pretty good through the Marshall. TS you may (if you have a restricted budget) want to take some of that money and get a much better guitar than an Epi starter. Fudge a little on the amp and spend $500 or so on guitar, you will probably be much happier.
Yes it's important to have a good guitar. A good guitar does not mean you paid a lot for it or that it says "fender" or "gibson" on the headstock. In my oppinion a good electric guitar means a good setup and good pickups. My main electric guitar is a $100 strat knock off. I had to replace the pickups and do a setup but now it's a very nice guitar. I think having a nice playable guitar with good pickups is just as important as having a good amp. I think the reason that people think the amp is 90% of your tone is because crap amps are much more commen that crap guitars. Most people that think they have crap guitars actually have good guitars with crap setups. Most people that think they have crap amps actually have crap amps.

You are only as strong as your weakest link. If any part of your rig truely sucks then you are not going to sound good. It doesn't matter if it's the guitar, setup, pickups, or amp so if you already have a great amp, then get yourself an inexpensive but nice guitar, have it setup properly, and see how you sound. If you still don't like your tone then get some new pickups too.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by Blompcube

its not theory, its fact.

and yeah, a guitar has its own unique voice that you should hear from amp to amp, but in the end its the amplifier that you hear the sound from, not the guitar.

EFG? How did you get here? gb2/b/.
G&L Legacy Special -> Line 6 TonePort GX -> Gearbox\GR2

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
Quote by uldhppi
An amp represents a bigger upgrade in sound than a guitar, I think thats what people are trying to say. No one's saying the guitar isn't important, but any playable guitar is going to sound pretty good through the Marshall. TS you may (if you have a restricted budget) want to take some of that money and get a much better guitar than an Epi starter. Fudge a little on the amp and spend $500 or so on guitar, you will probably be much happier.

+1

i mean, definitely get a good amp, but once you have the amp you'll probably want a really nice guitar too, y'know?

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by CorduroyEW
Yes it's important to have a good guitar. A good guitar does not mean you paid a lot for it or that it says "fender" or "gibson" on the headstock. In my oppinion a good electric guitar means a good setup and good pickups. My main electric guitar is a $100 strat knock off. I had to replace the pickups and do a setup but now it's a very nice guitar. I think having a nice playable guitar with good pickups is just as important as having a good amp. I think the reason that people think the amp is 90% of your tone is because crap amps are much more commen that crap guitars. Most people that think they have crap guitars actually have good guitars with crap setups. Most people that think they have crap amps actually have crap amps.

You are only as strong as your weakest link. If any part of your rig truely sucks then you are not going to sound good. It doesn't matter if it's the guitar, setup, pickups, or amp so if you already have a great amp, then get yourself an inexpensive but nice guitar, have it setup properly, and see how you sound. If you still don't like your tone then get some new pickups too.

excellent post (as usual). +1

especially the part about "crap guitars and crap amps".

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by m3k
EFG? How did you get here? gb2/b/.

...rules 1 & 2 newfag
Quote by ECistheBest
^his pickups rock.

I like to think so I suppose I would sell more if I quit telling people that the pickups are the last thing you get.

Getting a good amp and an epi (like you were thinking of doing) is a very good plan.
Not taking any online orders.
^i'm loving it. do you have like a recommended cap/pot values for the set with 7.7k, 7.8k, 7.7k?

i have 500k vol/tone ctrls with a .022uF cap. i might go down to 250K soon. but im not sure yet.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Well,here's what I plan to get in the near future.An Epi LP Standard with a Roland Cube 30 or maybe just a microcube.I know they're SS,but in the place I live in,a tube is a big no.How's that? What's the difference of a cube 30 and a microcube besides different wattage?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Amp is far more important for your tone. My Ibanez S was so-so through my old Vox AD30VT, and today I was playing through my Peavey and it just screamed.

I'd rather play a $200 guitar through a $1,000 amp than the other way around.
Honestly, paired with a good amp, I'd say the most important factors to a guitar is decent material, good pickups and most importantly, how good it feels. IMO.
Sure it's nice to have a £723849328423 guitar, but I don't honestly think it's necessary to acheive fantastic tone.
Quote by TJM2482
I'd rather play a $200 guitar through a $1,000 amp than the other way around.

agreed wholeheartedly, though to be fair that's an extreme which is rarely encountered in the real world.

I guess, I'd rather play a $400 guitar through an $800 amp than a $200 through a $1000 amp, or a $1000 guitar through a $200 amp. Assuming I get the choice.

EDIT: also I would say, once you have that kick-ass amp, a good guitar can make all the difference.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?