Ok, whats this noise all about? Ive uploaded a file to my ug profile, it sounds like fret buzz but i dont know. My guitar had 0.10 strings on it but i changed them to 9's and thought they'd be alright. It happens from about the 10th fret all the way to the 1st on mainly the e and B strings (is more clear on the e string tho). Any ideas?
wont raising the action affect the other strings aswell tho? its only my e string. When i play open its tuned to standard but when i play the 12th fret - its detuned a half step down to flat.
Quote by clement1
Ok, whats this noise all about? Ive uploaded a file to my ug profile, it sounds like fret buzz but i dont know. My guitar had 0.10 strings on it but i changed them to 9's and thought they'd be alright. It happens from about the 10th fret all the way to the 1st on mainly the e and B strings (is more clear on the e string tho). Any ideas?

i didnt listen to the noise, but when you go from 10's to 9's, you release tension off the neck. that can cause the neck to straighten a bit and subsequently the strings end up a little closer to the board.

yes you can try raising the strings.

or you can measure ur neck angle.

what type of guitar?

^to check if your intonation is also off, you would just fret at the 12th. see if it's in tune, when the open note is in tune.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
i didnt listen to the noise, but when you go from 10's to 9's, you release tension off the neck. that can cause the neck to straighten a bit and subsequently the strings end up a little closer to the board.

yes you can try raising the strings.

or you can measure ur neck angle.

what type of guitar?

^to check if your intonation is also off, you would just fret at the 12th. see if it's in tune, when the open note is in tune.

Well my intonation is definetly off. Its in tune when i fret the open e but when i fret the 12th its detuned a half step. Its also the case when i fret the 7th fret and the 19th. I didnt think changing from 10's to 9's would affect the guitar. Its a yamaha erg 121c - should i raise the action or will it affect intonation further and also affect the other strings?

I suppose i could take it to a guitar tech, how much would it cost to get sorted out etc...........id rather learn how to do it myself.

cheers for the responces.
what type of bridge it that? a TOM or a trem.

and intonation is simple to fix. repost, ill tak you thru it, should be much better after.

EDIT:
ok i see, it's a strat style.

first off make sure ur bridge is level. if not then repost.
second, raise the two buzzing strings, using a tiny allen wrench lowering these two pegs in each saddle.

raise just enough to stop buzzing.

after u are happy with the action on all the strings, it's time to intonate them.

see the screw that sticks out of the bottom, on that pic?^
that's the intonation screw.

all you do is tune the string to the open note.
then fret the string at the 12th.
now slightly turn that screw until it reads a little closer to correct, on ur electric tuner.

then retune the open string.
fret the string at the 12ft fret.
and again slightly adjust that string again, getting it closer to in tune.

repeat this a few times until the open string, matches the fretted string and even the 12th fret harmonic.

Edit2:
if the 12th fretted note is flat, then, ull want to shorten the string.
in my head i think that's a small counter clockwise turn.
-make it a small turn in case i remembered wrong.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Oct 10, 2007,
Ok i get the intonation and raising the action at the bridge. The action seems fine on the 12th fret. The buzzing is occuring near the nut. the string is barely clearing the frets from about 1st to 7th - the string is gradually higher as i move from 1st fret to the bridge. How do i raise the action for this?
The action will always rise up down the fretboard. Its just the way guitars have to be made.

However there are a few things to check:
1)Lower the bridge till you get fretbuzz but it doesn't come up on the amp. Back of just a bit from here.
2)Press down the 1st an last fret on the E string and see how much gap there is at the 7th fret between the fretboard and the string. If its a lot then get your truss rod tightened.

Other than that, if its playable than dont bother doing it.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350