Page 1 of 2
I'm pretty sure a breakdown is the part of the song where just one instrument is playing, maybe with the singer over the top of it, so the song is broken down. You know how you get songs where the singer'll sing the chorus, but with only the drumbeat backing him, just before the last chorus where all the other instruments kick back in? That's a breakdown.

I think.

Not too sure though, I could just be making up music terminology
Just do the opposite of everyone else, if someone pushes you, pull them, if someone punches you, give them a cookie etc.

pepsi
Umm just run into everyone, its what i did at the local gig i went to. I'm not sure bout this but when i fell down some random guy pulled me up, I dont know if your supposed to do this but everyone else was doing it to people that fell down.
Quote by pepsi_lovr
Just do the opposite of everyone else, if someone pushes you, pull them, if someone punches you, give them a cookie etc.

pepsi

coke>pepsi
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Breakdowns are when the band plays in half-time. Basically, to make it sound like it's going slower, usually making it heavier, etc.
you will fight death as you slowly realize...
it really depends on the genre of music you are going to see
Guitars
Epiphone LP Standard
Gibson L-6S
Amplifiers
Randall RH200 G2 Series
Legion 2x12 Cab
B-52 LG-100A For Sale
Pedal Board
Boss NS-2
Boss Tuner
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
MXR Zakk Wylde O-D
Boss MT-2 For Sale
Boss Eq For Sale
ditto^^^

any hardcore dancers waving there arms around pretending to be an airoplane just headbutt them :P

but ye just go crazy, jump, scream, sing along !!

peace
dude ?? have you ever had a casual coversation while having sex??

male:
" so erm .. wot do you think of bbc1 ?"
female:
" AAHHHH SH*T !!!! SH*T !!!!! "

Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
Sex is over-rated. I prefer Pokemon Diamond.

HAHAHA ^^^ :P

Quote by pepsi_lovr

pepsi

haha.

Pepsi > Coke, easily...

Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
to those saying pepsi > coke, there is something wrong with you

but thats off topic

to the guy wondering whether or not to pick someone up when they fall, YES! that is a very important rule in moshing. If someone falls, pick them up. People can die by getting trampled that way if you don't.

you will know when the breakdown comes, trust me, i don't even know, but i know when it hits me.
Member #16 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club. PM stepco12345 to join
Indeed, pick people up that fall. We're all brothers in there, except for the hardcore dancers... just kick them twice as hard when they hit you with their muffed up helicopter arms
ESP LTD M-400
Marshall JCM 800 2205 Halfstack
Dunlop Crybaby
Keeley BOSS SD-1
MXR 10 band EQ
iSP Decimator
take as little as you can into a gig, especially a pit coz if u drop somthing your in trouble and there might be some ideot opertunist waiting to take your wallet out your pocket.

what i do is take enough change for a few drinks, my phone, and a key with no key rings an put it into a deep pocket with a zip or tight velcro seal.
dont take hats or any lose stuff like scarfs or jackets you wont use.

either that or if you have a few lady friends going that arnt really up for the idea then give your stuff to them and arange a meeting point some where in the room for when the gig is finnished.

im just saying from experienced, last gig i went to was a biffy clyro one, and all the crap people lost on the floor afterwards was insane and i couldnt find anyone till half hour afterwards coz we got seperated.

-chris-
Tips for moshing, join the crowd, or go against it. Don't fall, and don't loose your shoes!
I almost lost a $60 pair of shoes. =p
Quote by death-to-punk
im going to a concert pretty soon and i just want some "tips" on moshing

just dont be too much of a twat, ignore the smells, and pick people up if they fall
What band will you be "moshing" to?

Mosh pits are never defined by how heavy the music is, but rather, how commited and crazy the fans are. That's why its always worse at Slipknot, Marilyn Manson, Greenday and Metallica concerts, even though bands like Nile are much heavier.

My first mosh was to Arch Enemy. That wasn't so tough now that I look back on it, but for the first time, there's just alot of fear, because your not sure what will happen. Pretty much after the first you come out and start to think your invincible because you survived. Lmao, then you get at Megadeth.
Quote by as_i_lay_dead
just dont be too much of a twat, ignore the smells, and pick people up if they fall

+1
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
heh, my buds went to see slayer at tattoo the earth back around in '00 or '01.. people were getting put into ambulances within minutes of slayer starting their set. i'd be so pissed off to go to a concert then get hauled out on a stretcher 20 seconds into the first song..

tips?

keep your arms by your head, and have a fairly spread stance with your legs so you can stay balanced, use your forearms to push and like someone else said, pick someone up if they fall.
Quote by Birdy266
Umm just run into everyone, its what i did at the local gig i went to. I'm not sure bout this but when i fell down some random guy pulled me up, I dont know if your supposed to do this but everyone else was doing it to people that fell down.

That seems to be the accepted amount of "courtesy" in a pit. If you see someone on the ground you stop and help them up, or at least wait to charge back in.
REMEMBER REMEMBER THE 8TH OF NOVEMBER!! I SURVIVED 4CHAN'S INVASION!!
Uneeded Praising Section:
Quote by The_Hottest_Day
Why didnt you get cable-less mics?

Quote by Oldmonkeys
lol good call

Quote by Kensai
^
^ That was at me so yes it is praise.
No it doesnt work like that. Have any of you really been in a mosh pit or are you just smack talking? ffs

When your in a real mosh pit which has around 15-20 guys in it because everyone else is too pusy, you don;t see anything. the flashing lights from the stage will garuntee that you only see at most half of whats going on. Then your bouncing around twisting and turning running madly into other people. You dont see ANYTHING. its not like you see a guy go down and then consider his feelings or some ****.

the truth is when your in a mosh pit, you kind of take up animal instincts. basic primal ****, and the only thing that is important is you surviving.
i've been in plenty of pits.. and yes its a violent phyiscal activity, but you don't have to go out of your way yo hurt people. by your logic, i could just start in and throw elbows at peoples heads and maybe step on the necks if they fall down.

and i dunno what kinda mosh pits only have 15-20 people in it, but it sounds like you have enough trouble coping with that since you get all feral and 'animal' like. :P
Quote by death-to-punk

whats a breakdown

It's when the guitarists rape one single note for 2 minutes.
Perhaps thats why theres only 15 - 20 people in it.

I live in Australia haha. I'm glad ive got that stereotype on my side now.

But i don't try to hurt people. No way. Throwing elbows and stuff is just complete bull****. Mosh pits aren't an excuse to kill people. It's an expression channeled through you by the music. A representation that you are enjoying and solidly feel the music.

What kind of pits are you talking about? It sounds like circles or somthing. The one im on about only happened once, thats why its notable. It was bloody rough. To tell the truth i wish i hadnt gone in it, because it hurt like a mother****er.
mosh pits are retarded IMO. excelent way to ruin a show.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
pits in my city aren't very organized, no circles or whatever.. but there are 2 layers. one is the core and then a ring around that. the ring around that group pushing people back into the core of shoving and general punching, knees and booting. people get picked up right away if they fall tho. i tend to stick right in the middle and sorta grapple around. i keep my arms up to protect my skull from getting and smacked around and push/pull with my forearms. think of a boxer.
woah sounds pretty cool. Crowds in Aus are never big enough for that, yours actually sound quite organised, well very organised compared to ours. Pretty much theres just a few crazy bitches in a small circle killing eachother for the center or "dominant male" position.

most people stand around and enjoy the music haha
Quote by Kivarenn82
pits in my city aren't very organized, no circles or whatever.. but there are 2 layers. one is the core and then a ring around that. the ring around that group pushing people back into the core of shoving and general punching, knees and booting. people get picked up right away if they fall tho. i tend to stick right in the middle and sorta grapple around. i keep my arms up to protect my skull from getting and smacked around and push/pull with my forearms. think of a boxer.

Same here.

The only exception is sometimes a fist or elbow to a "hardcore" dancers face or throat.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by Birdy266

That's an unwritten moshingrule:
Stay on your feet and make sure others stay on their feet
Quote by Shea Donoghue
"WHY DON'T YOU JUST F*CK OFF?!" So I ran up to her face and went "FINE, I F*CKING WILL" and stuck my hands down my pants and started masturbating. My friends were pissing themselves laughing while she just went "JESUS CHRIST"
Quote by The Evil Hat
coke>pepsi

i..............love..........you
just so i dont have to edit every post i make, let me clarify something I CANT TYPE WELL....thanks
pits are amazing...if there aren't any people who want to ruin it by going all primal and such...as for hardcore dancers...there is no way to stop it so if they say back up...BACK UP you will get punched in the head...keep your arms up legs spread for a good base and push/pull everyone around you...have funn ooooooo and the break down is where it gets overly heavy for a part of the song...you will know it...
I don't know what's with that primal guy on top of the page, but when I'm at concerts I can see around me, sure it's dark, but I'm always able to see when someone's down. Make sure the pitting is in good fun, not for hurting others. And be careful with crowdsurfing because there can be gaps in pits and you can fall pretty badly.
usually if you push, tackle and the occasional punch here n there then youll be fine. just keep your hands up and watch your face, back and chest. if you fall then youll get helped back up, but then you need to start moving again because that courtesy wont last for very long. likewise, if you see someone fall you should help.

if anyone is being a dick, just punch them. theyre likely to be ruining everyones show. if theyre bigger than you then wait till their back is turned then go for the kidneys, usually works.

all in all just have fun. if a wall of death forms, then just be extra extra careful. (im assuming youve not got much experience in moshing and walls are pretty rough)
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']haha.

Pepsi > Coke, easily...

no

coke > pepsi

help people up when they fall
It depends what type of mosh pit your going in and what genre of music. If your in a circle pit, from my knowledge (not been in one yet) you just run around in the circle formed. Much like pilgrims at Mecca. A ordinary pit you just jump into each other, shove etc. You don't have to do those things, but in a mosh pit you generally show your emotions through your actions. If your not participating in those things then just pogo, headbang, slam. Added that just incase I havn't a clue on Wal of Deaths, I have an idea but thats it. Can anyone go into more detail on them plese? Cheers
one thing that I haven't seen in the thread yet is to bring as many friends as you can with you, like enough for a good sized mosh pit. That way, you will be surrounded by friends that are less likely to hurt you, or at least they'll be more careful than people who don't know you.
wall of death: when the crowd splits into 2 sides and then at the climax of a song or whatever they run into each other. chaos ensues.

sometimes they run into each other and stop and nothing much happens cos both sides kinda stop each other. when i was at slayer the crowd basically swapped sides, they ran through each other which was absolutely mental. it was like something from braveheart honestly.

i like to stand in the 2nd or 3rd row. although people stand at the front and IN THE MIDDLE OF THE OPEN SPACE IN BETWEEN THE CROWD (BAD BAD BAD) to look hard, theyre the ones who youll probably see limping out or complaining cos they got a good kick around. not saying that happens all the time, ive seen a lot of guys survive pretty well, but id rather opt for getting in there 2nd cos then theres something to jump into.
I don't mind people jumping around a bit enjoying the music but it reeeeally fucks me off when people starting each other into everyone, it ruins the show and makes me an angry panda.
...Bleep Bloop...
The big question.....what's the sickest pit you've ever been in???? I would have to say Lamb of God at this years Ozzfest, not the biggest, but the most brutal by far...biggest ever would be Slipknot for sure....
Page 1 of 2