How many of you guys know guitarists who drive you nuts with their supposedly massive knowledge about all things related to guitar, playing, practicing or music in general? For example, I have this friend who always said that he plays around 6-8 hours a day. Whenever we were talking trash with someone about guitars and I would say "yeah, I play about 2-6 hours a day (which I did), he had to top it off with his 6-8 hours. At the same time I knew his playing only involved him strumming open strings in front of his TV set. AND when he played properly, he only played the same old metal riffs for 30 minutes every now and then.

Another example: I was talking to this younger (I´m 22, he is 18) jazz-influenced guy and somehow he started talking about Zakk Wylde and his string gauges. He said "Zakk uses GHS 11-70" and I said "Oh no, he mostly uses it in the studio, for live playing he uses either 10-60 or 11-60". And he wouldn´t believe me; he "knew" it for a fact that Zakk uses only the "heaviest set possible".

Do I need anger management or do you guys get annoyed over this kind of stuff? I´d be glad to hear same kind of experiences from others.
People who compare themselves to Buckethead annoy me....

I hate it when people say they can play oh so many of their favorite albums all the way through, but then you find out they only know like one or two riffs from each song...meh.
Or when people try to talk over your head. Ugh, I hate that. I've been playin for a few years but i still don't understand much theory of chord progression/theory/shapes...
You sound just as bad as them

Who gives a shit what string gauge Zakk Wilde uses?

If you all sit around comparing dick sizes with redundant guitar knowledge don't get pissed off when someone pretends to know more.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>

If you all sit around comparing dick sizes with redundant guitar knowledge don't get pissed off when someone pretends to know more.

I know I may be as awful as anyone, but my point was that why people exaggerate their skills (especially if women are around). And redundant knowledge is just something that stucks into my head very easily no matter what the subject is
I'm just saying, you know, maybe they're thinking the same things about you.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
yeah i know what you mean.
I hate it just as much.
I know a guy similar to that...
he plays drums and guitar and he thinks he's THE ****.
Everytime I say anything he's got to comment.
When I say I can play a certain song...
he ALWAYS has to say what song he can play which is better.
Like I asked?
Quote by joehhy
i will use my lvl 90 Golduck against the evil 4chans, they will not stand a chance

Quote by Led Pepplin
My penis is quite literally trembling in fear.

FLOCKDRAW!!!!!!! EPICS!!!!!
Quote by erifxneef
People who compare themselves to Buckethead annoy me....

I compare myself to Buckethead. To see how many years I need to play guitar before I can become 1/100th as awesome as him. So far I've got it worked out at fifty.

I've got a friend who's like that though.

Friend: I can play the solo from *insert song with shreddy solo here*
Me: Go on then
Friend: *butchers solo* ... I can't play it on your amp...
Quote by erifxneef
I hate it when people say they can play oh so many of their favorite albums all the way through, but then you find out they only know like one or two riffs from each song...

I dislike it when people think they're better than a famous guitarist just because they can nail all of the songs and solos they've ever wirtten.

There's a difference between replicating a solo and writing a solo.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
I know a few people like that, but I really don't care. I don't flaunt my guitar knowledge unless someone asks me a question. It's just better that way. I don't play guitar to compete, and admittedly I know a lot of useless information about guitarists and what size dress-pants they used to wear at their second-cousin's third wedding when they were children, but I don't go around telling people that.

Just let it be, those kinds of people annoy me as well; a friend of my little brother's had a Dean Explosion Razorback, and when I brought my guitar to school one time for a presentation he kept bragging about how his guitar "owns mine" and how he's a much better guitarist than me. I was like "OK" and just went about my business. It doesn't really bother me if people are competitive...it's their problem. Not mine.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by Minkaro
I compare myself to Buckethead. To see how many years I need to play guitar before I can become 1/100th as awesome as him. So far I've got it worked out at fifty.

lol. You know what I meant.

Quote by Minkaro
Friend: I can play the solo from *insert song with shreddy solo here*
Me: Go on then
Friend: *butchers solo* ... I can't play it on your amp...

I hear that a lot too.

And i hate it when one of your friends/musician sits there and tells everyone he knows that he thinks he sucks to fish for compliments. Ugh. That's an instant piss off for me...
Quote by erifxneef
And i hate it when one of your friends/musician sits there and tells everyone he knows that he thinks he sucks to fish for compliments. Ugh. That's an instant piss off for me...

I don't say it to fish for compliments. I say it because I actually do suck.
On Opeth hosting the Headbanger's Ball:
Quote by PiNGPoNG-DT
Mikael: "Here's another one of them chunks of crap around my rectal lining."
Peter: "This one is especially adept at creating olfactory aversions in people."
Martins: "We agree."
Per: "Hi. I'm new."
Quote by baalzamon999
I don't say it to fish for compliments. I say it because I actually do suck.

just like that... -_-
My guitar teacher acts like he's the fastest and most knowledgeable guitarist that's ever graced the earth.

I mean he kind of is, but seriously, arrogance sucks.
Dickless.
Amen, Firenze. Neither do I walk around telling people how I know useless stuff about musicians unless someone asks something. And that Zakk Wylde thing was probably a bad example, I was just politely correcting his misinformation...Ok, I´ll shut my mouth about it
Quote by spiritraiser
Amen, Firenze. Neither do I walk around telling people how I know useless stuff about musicians unless someone asks something. And that Zakk Wylde thing was probably a bad example, I was just politely correcting his misinformation...Ok, I´ll shut my mouth about it

Haha, I get you. Sometimes it can't be helped

Next time just ram a headstock through his face. He'll understand.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
I know people who will argue that they're right on stuff like this even if they know they're wrong. I kind of just tell them to shut up and I leave.
I sell ponies.
Quote by Firenze
Haha, I get you. Sometimes it can't be helped

Next time just ram a headstock through his face. He'll understand.

I´m not a violent person so I´ll only start a brawl if the guy starts telling false facts about Dimebag and SRV (option on Ron Thal)
Quote by erifxneef

well its hard to keep everyone happy in that sort of situation. They might just be trying to be modest, but not knowing how to. Whenever people get me too play for them and they say im good i usually say that im not because i dont want to seem full of myself.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
i used to do that on other topics i know things about till i got completly owned and stopped dont wory they will someday too
just so i dont have to edit every post i make, let me clarify something I CANT TYPE WELL....thanks

Well said. It almost gets to the point where when I'm around other guitarists, I'll sometimes actually try to hide the fact that I play so they don't get all dickish about it.

Quote by spiritraiser
I´m not a violent person so I´ll only start a brawl if the guy starts telling false facts about Dimebag and SRV (option on Ron Thal)

Well, that's reasonable.
<Han> I love Hitler
Quote by erifxneef
just like that... -_-

But, can't you see that most the poeple who say that, are the ones that actually have a little insight? I know I suck. I haven't been playing for too long, and I've got so much to learn, I know that. Bragging would be idiotic, and saying I don't suck a lie, so what do you want me to say?
Don't just say "I suck" because then it comes across as attention seeking. If someone asks me to play them something, even though I am fairly reasonable on guitar, I tend to tell them that I don't think I'm some sort of Vai or Satriani, and I've got a hell of a way to go!
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Yeah.

Theres quite a few at my school.

Once this eejit (idiot) walked down the corridor behind me while i was carrying me guitar in a hard case, saying "I've got a gibson" all the way to my next lesson

The thing that really annoyed me was:

a) It wasn't a gibson it was an epiphone LP
b) He can't play much music - the best he can manage is a few seconds of Sweet Child Of Mine
c) I don't think gibsons are that great a guitar, and I don't WANT a gibson.

But then theres the actual good guitarists who don't really brag about how good they are.

They're just like "Yeah, i can play"
they get their guitars out and they're ****ing playin awesome ****.
I just remembered this one guy (not really my friend, we just have some mutual friends). About a year ago he almost got an audition for this sort-of high profile band. Since then I´ve seen him about five times and he´s always managed to mention how he ALMOST got the audition. Not that it particularly annoys me, but it would be nice to talk about...well, something else. Weather?
I hate it when someone see's someones guitar, asks if they can play it and then show off for about half an hour. Especially when the person who they're showing of to is a newbie, who then feels extremely overshadowed. Just seems like a good way to be a prick.
I enjoy complements a lot. Especially from chicks. Who doesn't enjoy being told that they're good at something they spend hours and days and weeks and months and years doing? When somebody asks me if I can play well, I say I'm not bad. I don't suck, but I'm no [Jason Becker...or insert your favorite guitarist here (unless they're Billy Joe)]

Quote by Blizzard
Take everything in modesty. Even World of Warcraft
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Last year me and a group of mates were chilling on holiday at a time share resort and one of em decided he was going to join our band having never picked up an instrument in his life. By the end of the weekend he took it upon himself to be our new lead guitarist and vocalist, taking the band in a completely new direction. When questioned about his abilities, he reckoned that because he was good at video games he'd make a good musician. No joke.

Oh and I lent him a cheap Peavy Raptor guitar a couple of weeks later, and instead of learning how to play it, he phucked it. I came round less than a week later and he'd taken the strings off, and removed the neck. When I explained it to him that it was stuffed (he didn't realize that playing the top E at the 12th fret and above should make a tone, not a slapping buzz) and he'd need to take it to a shop to get it set up, I made the mistake of mentioning the truss rod, but specifically told him NOT to phuck with it, cuz he'd only make it worse. Needless to say the guitar's in the bin, and he's still yet to apologize for it.
Quote by Hpda5121
im not a racist because racism is a crime, and crime is for black people

Quote by the dave
yeah man I put my hand up their skirt and pick em up like a six pack

Quote by Death_switch
mr bill0ws is right
I can probably come across as an annoying besserwisser if I give constructive criticism like: "That riff sounds better if you dampen the strings." in some peoples eyes.

Yesterday I was playing bass with all four fingers (just to practice, not to show off) and a class mate told me that I should dampen the E-string with my thumb so it wouldn't make a sound (I played unplugged so there is no way in hell he could hear that). If I did so, it means that I have to bend the fingers on my right hand which makes it impossible to play on a bass the way it's meant to be played. Plus, I've played bass in two and he just started playing.

And if someone gives me a compliment on my guitar or bass playong, I simply reply "Thank you".
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion

I'm sorry I don't wanna be that guy but...it's Zakk Wylde...no 'i' in Wylde....
Quote by HarleyFoxx
I'm sorry I don't wanna be that guy but...it's Zakk Wylde...no 'i' in Wylde....

It's a stage name, so it hardly matters.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."

Isn't that what playing guitar is all about? Arguing over who's better and who know's more. If you're not an elitist fag, you should go play a girl instrument like the ocarina, because guitar isn't for you...
Quote by erifxneef
just like that... -_-

actually dude, sometimes you can suck and there is nothing wrong with admitting it. sometimes when im jamming with my buddy and some other people are around, im kind of just fooling around and just shredding mindlessly up and down the neck and people that dont have much knowledge of music see my fingers flying and hearing super fast riffs that actually suck ass, but they think its good. so i sometimes just tell people im not really that good, but i mean it.

of course, i will still humbly reply with a "thank you."
Quote by rizo299
I hate it when someone see's someones guitar, asks if they can play it and then show off for about half an hour. Especially when the person who they're showing of to is a newbie, who then feels extremely overshadowed. Just seems like a good way to be a prick.

Where on earth do you get these things from man?

The guitarist in my band is like that. He's pretty good to tell the truth, but he knows **** all about anything except for D A D G B E.

I'm in love.