i'm getting into technical death metal and i'm wondering what songs i could learn just to get into playing it. maybe tell some easy, medium songs?

also what would be good things to practise for this type of music? obviously you could say sweep picking, fast alternate, string skipping, etc..what else though?
also, anything i forgot that could be helpful..

thanks
Slowing down the playing in Epitaph by Necrophagist might be a good suggestion.
I wouldn't start with sweep-picking practice first though.
if you want to learn some odd-timed guitar riffs prevalent in technical metal, check out some more recent Meshuggah. figure that stuff out with a calculator
Try screwing around with Em Harmonic Minor scale. Playing up and down and finding some neat metal sounds. Dethklok is popular right now, and their stuff isn't too hard to play. You can find their tabs on this site too. Just remember, start slow. Playing accurate is more important than playing fast.
yeah...necrophagist has really gotten me into technical stuff..
i guess it sounds like i've just started playing, but i've been playing maybe 2.5 years, so i plan on learning sweep picking sometime anyways just as a fun skill. i was just saying that earlier because if i didnt add it, i figured that people would say "ohh learn sweep picking! its a big part of technical stuff!"...or at least some would..
know anything else? like say any nile? or just anything that has the same essential points as technical death metal, you know?
Quote by EddieWan
if you want to learn some odd-timed guitar riffs prevalent in technical metal, check out some more recent Meshuggah. figure that stuff out with a calculator

haha they have some crazy beats..