So here's two questions...

A) Is it possible to wire a Strat so that the Neck and Bridge pickups are on one volume, and the middle pickup is on a seperate volume with just a master tone?

B) Is it possible to switch from the stock parallel arrangement in positions 2 & 4, to series in those positions?

Might be buying a strat soon and I'm just looking into some possible mods
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
bump
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
3 month bump
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
why oh why? i dont tihnk anyone understands it , try re make a thread lol

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
I don't think its that hard to understand.

I want to switch to series wiring in the 2nd and 4th position, and see if its possible to put the neck and bridge on one volume and the middle pickup on another.

Thats pretty simple I think
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
you could always take the middle off the switch entirely, and use a push pull for an on/off switch and a volume.

As far as the tone goes, no idea
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
Anything's possible, It's just the know how, It's gonna take a lot of thinking and drawing. Probably not really worth it.
These go to eleven...
Last edited by JimPlaysGuitar at Jan 14, 2008,
It'd be possible with one of those 5-way 4-pole Super Switches and a dual gang pot for the bridge and neck.
It is an interesting idea you have, but wouldn't it be easier just to have a volume on the middle and make the other one master volume?
Amps:
Vox AC15CC1X
Guitars:
Ibanez S5470 (with Custom switching) | Modded Squire Strat | Sigma Acoustic | Yamaha 12-string
Pedals:
Behringer Tuner | Cheap Volume | Boss DD-3 | Boss DS-1 | JH-1 Wah
Quote by xatz
dual gang pot for the bridge and neck.
That'd make things much easier. But it'd get difficult with positions 2 and 4.. The signal will go through two volumes unless you get to some real thinking.
These go to eleven...
Last edited by JimPlaysGuitar at Jan 14, 2008,
Quote by xatz
...wouldn't it be easier just to have a volume on the middle and make the other one master volume?
Thats the thing, I don't know

If you say it is, it probably is
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Quote by forsaknazrael
I can tell you how to make 2 and 4 in series...
Please do then
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Did you want a switch to switch between series and parallel or did you just want them to be series?
These go to eleven...
A switch to go from series to parallel would be ideal, but with all the research I've done, a switch that only does that seems impossible.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
You're probably better off going over to the forum that forsaknazrael posted and asking there. They're more skilled at that kinda thing over there.
These go to eleven...
you see, what I've drawn here... Is a mess..

It'd probably work and do everything you want but it's complicated and not worth it IMO. And I'm sure there's easier ways. And yeah 4PDT's are hard to come by at a good price.
These go to eleven...
It was simpler before I found out the TS wanted Parallel too. Theres a lot of unwanted antennas in there in some positions. Good shielding maybe?
These go to eleven...
Last edited by JimPlaysGuitar at Jan 15, 2008,
I was just looking at your diagram and the neck/bridge pot only works as a blend in parallel mode yeah? In series mode it just works as a master volume in position 1 and 5 and then in 2 - 4 the middle pot is like a master volume?
Amps:
Vox AC15CC1X
Guitars:
Ibanez S5470 (with Custom switching) | Modded Squire Strat | Sigma Acoustic | Yamaha 12-string
Pedals:
Behringer Tuner | Cheap Volume | Boss DD-3 | Boss DS-1 | JH-1 Wah
It's not really a blend, it's just so you can have one knob for both volume controlls. Basically, in series mode the signal 2 and 4 goes through only the middle volume. In parallel mode, both pickups in 2 and 4 go to their own volumes. And I just noticed a flaw. It's not gonna work in the 2 and 4 parallel positions cause of the way the volumes are wired..

Edit: Maybe if the in's and out's on the volumes were switched over. The 'Gibson way'.
These go to eleven...
Last edited by JimPlaysGuitar at Jan 16, 2008,
If you nix the idea of double volumes, and go simply with a master volume, and tone would that simplify things?

As for a 4PDT, I actually happen to have an EP1111 hanging around, but it is a 3 position switch, would that work?
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Quote by jm1681
If you nix the idea of double volumes, and go simply with a master volume, and tone would that simplify things?
Much, much simpler.
As for a 4PDT, I actually happen to have an EP1111 hanging around, but it is a 3 position switch, would that work?
You're gonna need an on-on or you're gonna have a dead spot in the middle.

The problem is they're all quite pricey for what they are. Like this. You'll also need one of these. Also pricey.

If you want, I can alter my diagram for a master volume?

Orrr, you could have a seperate series parallel switch for each position (2 and 4) and use two DPDT's. You could even use two push pull pots for that, if you want. No extra holes in the pickguard.

Edit: I've done two others just in case you want them. Here and here.
These go to eleven...
Last edited by JimPlaysGuitar at Jan 16, 2008,
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
We have a winner

Thank you very much my friend
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头