I'm mainly looking for materials/tips for this...

I have a Kustom Solo 16 practice amp. Problem is, nobody makes footswitches for it. Actually, even if they did, there's no place for a FS to even be connected. Sooo...

I have a few hours to kill today, and I was wondering if anyone has made a "ghetto" FS before.

Here's some info on the amp.

It sits about.... a foot and a half off the ground, and the channel switching button is under the volume/drive knobs. I need to rig up a device that'll push that button when I throw my foot down on something (hopefully a button). I know, this is pathetic, but I don't have money to grab a new amp with FSing capabilities, I'm saving up for better stuff. But, at the same time, I'm really dying without a FS. So, I was thinking I could cut/nail together some pieces of wood to make a little box, throw in a plastic round piece for a button, and have it being depressed by springs. (I have some extra hums lying around somewhere, so I'll be using a set of humbucker springs from my epis stock pups). By biggest problem now is finding a nice household item that'll depress easily without breaking/permanently bending. I was thinking about soldering a bunch of paper clips together side by side, then molding them to fit onto the top of the amp, followed by a little circular device that fits around the channel switching button. In theory it would work, be extremely lame, but... IDK..

Unique little thread I have going here, anyone ever done it, or have any good ideas on what to do? TIA!
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

I would just say, if it's just for practicing, get a distortion pedal...
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
^The distortion on my amp is fine, I don't want to blow 20 bucks on a ****ty dist pedal, and I don't want to spend 80+ on a nice one. I've tried some in betweens too, and I don't like the dist I get out of them. :/
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

Take the switch apart and wire a regular footswitch to the contacts. You could put in a 1/4 inch jack where the old switch was if you're feeling adventurous.
Just extend the button by gluing on some kind of pen cap, then kick that on the front of your amp to switch.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Roc8995
Take the switch apart and wire a regular footswitch to the contacts. You could put in a 1/4 inch jack where the old switch was if you're feeling adventurous.

That's the way to do it.
I second the pen kicking suggestion. Not only will it probably work, it would be pretty hilarious. Just picture yourself giving your amp a good boot then rocking out with some heavy distortion. Bad ass, no?
For the terminally insane:

Wire the switch and the guitar input to a TRS jack on the amp, Remove a tone pot from the guitar and install a button (figure out whether you need latching or momentary). Replace the mono 1/4" jack on the guitar with a TRS jack and wire the button and the guitar signal straight from the volume pot to it.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Roc8995

of course. +2

but you know what. i dont think he'd have it in him to do this.

so, given that, i guess yes. crazyglue a thick enough wooden dowel to the switch to elongate it. and kick it on.

*sigh*
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011