Just wondering if anyone else has like.. shoulder-ache after playing guitar with a strap for a while...

I don't play guitar with my strap on too much, but as soon as I do, after about 10 minutes my shoulder starts to really ache on my left side, and then after about 20 minutes I really have to stop or give it a rest for a bit.

I'm worried that this might effect gigs and stuff, because I didn't used to have this and haven't played a gig since I've had this problem, which has been for a couple of months now.

Does anyone else have this or know how it can be helped?
Yeah it happens to me.........especially during gigs.Dont wory about it,you probably wont notice it during a gig on account of masses of adrenaline......
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Change the strap length, or maybe get a padded strap

Quote by Pinky19
My guitar is so ugly, it makes me wanna punch a baby.
You could try a wider strap with some padding on it?
2002 Muddy Waters Fender Telecaser (MIM) (w/ Bill Lawrence pickups & black matte pickguard)
2006 Ibanez sz520qm (w/ Grover tuners)
Epiphone DR-100

Traynor YCV50-Blue
Toneport GX / Ampltube 2
^__-

you answered your own question, its cause you dont do it much.

just play with a strap more often, you get used to it
Shoulder does not bother me that much. I have broken my wrist (left Hand) 2 times. Sometimes when I am playing ,it gets really painful because of it.
Hi
um talk to a doc maybe a muscle problem?????? but as for gigs you can play sitting i dont think it would bug people that much, least i know i dont mind. its unique
just so i dont have to edit every post i make, let me clarify something I CANT TYPE WELL....thanks
Get a wider strap, perhaps a padded one.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Quote by Ichikurosaki
^__-

you answered your own question, its cause you dont do it much.

just play with a strap more often, you get used to it

Which post did you read?

I said I'd done gigs in the past before I had the problem, which implies that I have played the guitar with a strap for long periods of time.

I also said that I needed to stop after 20 minutes, and this is because of the ache getting so bad that it ****ing hurts like hell, so I don't think that's the answer.

Cheers for the replies, and to the guy who said play sitting down, I would but I'm the singer as well so it wouldn't really work I don't think...

I might try and play piano live more though.. maybe that would give me the breaks between...
Wider strap. Look at the heavy duty bass straps you can find around.

And practise with it more. My shoulder gets sore too fairly quickly, but soon I get used to it in a single ractise and stop caring.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I have a special strap for playing longer while standing, but it still hurts after 30 mins or so.
Anyways, while gigging I don't even notice the pain.
I'm gonna say this seriously though icy hot can get rid of the pain, but I'd still check your strap length, and maybe get a new strap. If that doesn't work......active on, apply directly where it hurts
Quote by wizards?
I'm gonna say this seriously though icy hot can get rid of the pain, but I'd still check your strap length, and maybe get a new strap. If that doesn't work......active on, apply directly where it hurts

Yes, after you had a gig, or a long session of playing with your strap.
Icy hot DOES help against the pain.
Never thought there would come an serious reaction with icy hot in it.
Just play for 10 minutes or whatever until it hurts and take regular breaks. You will get used to it. Plus when you do a gig you will be so in the moment you won't even feel it hurting