ive been playing for 2 years and turns out that the way i hold my pick is "wrong". what disadvantages does doing this ^ give me?
Alex
it looks fine to me, but i think you could shift your index finger underneath the pick a bit more... to give it more support.
Quote by alex101uk

ive been playing for 2 years and turns out that the way i hold my pick is "wrong". what disadvantages does doing this ^ give me?
Alex

There is no such thing as a "wrong way to hold your pick".
It's just however you feel more comfortable doing.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us."
Who told you this? It's all about preferences if anything. Have you had any disadvantages when you play guitar?
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
er... im not sure, but i just like to hold it whichever way is more comfortable.

I think you're supposed to hold it between your thumb and the side of you bent index finger.
im guessing it helps to make the picking more consistent, but thats just an educated guess.
thing is i use my index finger and my middle finger on the back of the pick to stabalize each corner. any problems with using both fingers on the back?
play how it feels comfortable, aslong as you can play how you need to without ****ing up it doesnt matter
i'd think strumming would be tough the way you hold it, but if you're comfortable strumming that way then that's you.
Who told you that you're wrong?

The only thing I might see is that you'd have to choke up a little to do pinched harmonics, but not everybody does that, so it looks fine to me.
That's more or less how I hold my pick. I've never felt a restriction... I dunno. Maybe move your index finger a little more, but that's about it.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride