Are they worth the cash? Or should I buy a Squier instead?

Tone wise, am big RHCP/Strokes/Muse/Phonics fan, but I'm not that interested in mimicking Flea, Nikolai etc

And yes, I realise there are a lot of bass reccomendation threads, but none really cover my needs.

However, if pressed, I will delete this
Quote by filthandfury
I only do that on MSN, and I get many complaints about it.

F&F will have cyber sex with you on MSN. He's a bit handsy though.

I have become..... METACARPI!!!!

I wish

Joeymaxx
Nik used Rick basses for the first two albums, and heck yea, they are more than worth the money.
Quote by Waters?
Whats the price on them?

Cheaper ones are bout £800... hmmm... xmas is coming lol?
Quote by filthandfury

I wish

Joeymaxx
the 4003 (beautiful as it is) is like 2 grand or someting ridiculous.

*cliche warning*

if you want to get the flea tone and you're considering squier, why not try an olp stingray?
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Well if you love the Ricky tone then get a Ricky, for that price though rather than looking at a Squier you should be looking at Fender to compare it with.

Go and try out as many basses in that price range (Ricky, Fender Precision, Fender Jazz, MusicMan Stingray, MusicMan Sterling, Warwick Corvette etc.) and see which one you like best.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by Sly Taco
Rick or a squire?????????????????

Are you kidding me??????????????

Fraid not, am in a pickle
Quote by filthandfury

I wish

Joeymaxx
Anyone had personal experience with either of these - would be my first bass, have played guitar for 2 years though, and am looking to extend my musical repertoire.

And what is so wrong with Squiers?
Quote by filthandfury

I wish

Joeymaxx
Am i classed as entry level with my guitar experience?
Quote by filthandfury

I wish

Joeymaxx
How can you possibly compare a classic high end instrument to an 'alright' starter bass?
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
How can you possibly compare a classic high end instrument to an 'alright' starter bass?

I'm not. I only wonder if the Rickenbacker is worth the extra money, and if it would be suitable for me.
Quote by filthandfury

I wish

Joeymaxx
I don't like the way Ricks feel, parallel, painted necks? Hmm. Nice tone though!
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Yes. Guitar skill =/= bass skill.

Agreed.

Let's switch gears here. I am a bass player and never played a guitar, period. I want to buy a guitar, what are you going to recommend? A good basic or above average Fender or Squier or a high end Telecaster or Strat custom?

Rick's are really beautiful basses, with a wonderful tone and playability. But you are not going to appreciate them and really get the best playability of them until your playing level gets to certain level. Get the squier now and when you've really learned to play bass at a more than competent level, get the Rick.
Fender Jazz

/Thread
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
They're the best sounding basses imo, the guitars play like they're $5000 and they're $2000, plus they're not mass produced unlike Gibsons and Fenders. Get the Rickenbacker!
Quote by .smudged.
They're the best sounding basses imo, the guitars play like they're $5000 and they're $2000, plus they're not mass produced unlike Gibsons and Fenders. Get the Rickenbacker!

Are you serious?
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
I am looking at a Rickenbacker that is £837 (haven't got the dollar-sterling exchange rate) and am thinking I'll get that. anarkee made a good point, but am not f***in around, I do intend to play bass properly for some time, so no disrespect but I'm goin with the Ricky methinks.

Whether or not my dad will buy it for me, that's a different matter!
Quote by filthandfury

I wish

Joeymaxx
Quote by Sozes Flying V
I am looking at a Rickenbacker that is £837 (haven't got the dollar-sterling exchange rate) and am thinking I'll get that. anarkee made a good point, but am not f***in around, I do intend to play bass properly for some time, so no disrespect but I'm goin with the Ricky methinks.

Remember try try them out, some people (like me) absolutely hate the necks, especially higher up the fretboard, it gets really cluttered. Try out as many basses as you can ESPECIALLY if you're going to spend that much.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Quote by Welsh Guitar
Are you serious?

Yes, he is, well sort of......

Rickenbacker don't make nearly as many instruments per year than Fender.

They like keeping it exclusive I guess, also seeing as they've basically made about 3 radically different models for what? The last 30 years?

And theres the whole Anti-knockoff thing too.

So you just generally don't see as many Rics or anything that resembles a Ric anywhere.
If you're willing to pay for a Rick, you should really get to a shop and try out basses you like. The Rick may not being for you....you may find that you want something more like a Stingray or Warwick. Just make sure you know what you're buying, and that you'll like it.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
If you buy a Rick and just so happened to hate bass and want to get rid of it, you'll get a fantastic resale value. If you have problems playing it, it'll problems with the general nature of the bass guitar instead of struggling with a cheapo bass that doesn't sound very good and might turn you off. Instruments are investments, too, and a Ric is a better investment than a Squier. You'll have problems trying to sell a Squier if you ever want to, but the Ric will be gone in minutes.

And while guitar skill =/= bass skill, guitar skill > no skill at all. Sure, the threadstarter might have the guitarist mentality that might interfere with his bass playing for a while, but once he gets over it, he'll have a kick ass bass.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Maybe, Fitz, and nothing against the TS's desire to have a great bass... But I am in agreement with M'shell Ndegeocello, who once credited her bass skill from the fact that she had to play on a starter / lower endbass for a long time. In the long run, she felt it made her a better bass player because she really had to work to get the sound she wanted. While I wouldn't recommend someone starting on a really awful low end bass (First Act or some of the Epis), I don't think any serious player was ever hampered by starting out on a Squier or some of the lower end Fenders, Yamahas or Ibanez models. And most shops will give you a decent "trade up" value on those brands as well.

The "instrument as investment" has always bothered me on several levels, but I'll give you that its going to be an easier investment recovery for the TS parent's if he ends up losing interest in the long or short run. Buy an instrument because you love its sound or it speaks to you, not for a ultimate return. If that's your goal, then find some other chatchka to pedal on a future Antiques Roadshow, not a bass.
OK PLEASE?????

That question is a no brainer. Its like saying, "should I buy a Mercedes or a Schwinn?" LOL
Its obvious you've never tried a Rickenbacker, I can tell you that the playability and the tone are in a class by itself. However, if you are a beginner I would start with something a bit more "forgiving". The Rick will magnify any mistakes.

GOOD LUCK!
If you're not sure between a Rick and a Squier you don't know nearly enough about either to start counting cash out. Wait a while and play all the instruments you can get your hands on.
Quote by Sozes Flying V

I'm gonna +1 to various statements here; they are gorgeous basses, but a bit of an acquired taste, and they hold their value. In fact, the curious thing is that a 4003 from the mid 70's on seems to cost the same as a new one - roughly 1000 - 1200 quid; badly made dogs and old hacks are mercifully rare.
What got my attention was the 837 quid price! Where you gettin that? My local S*und C*ntr*l want full price for one, and won't budge on price by nearly that much! Supply and demand etc...
i agree with SMB.......if ye rthat much of a n00b(not intended as an insult) that your deciding between a rick and a squire get the squire unitl you know what your doing and can appreciate/treat it right, i remember when i got my first low end guitar i accedently bandged it on everything... and i didnt care.....i would have doen that with my stinger if i had it right away and greatly reduced the value, when i got my stinger i had been playing for 2 years and i appreciate it and knew how to treat it so it doesnt get any dings or anything.

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
I've been reading your question through and I think I now understand it, so all the people who said "OMG SQUIERZ ARE LYKE, FOR N00BS LOLZ AND CLIFF PLAYS T3H RIC SO IT MUST BE T3H PWN", (ok a little over exaggeration but you get what I mean), from the way I see it the TS is asking a very sensible question and I see it like this:

"Should I start straight out on a high end bass, or should I start out like most beginners on bass and get a lower end instrument then work my way up to the Ric."

So my answer is this:

If you really think you'll stick to bass, then invest in the Ric, if you think there's a chance that you might give up then buy the Squier and play on that for a while until you feel ready to upgrade. There's no point in having a £1000 bass lying around and just not getting any use, it's a wasted investment, whereas having a £200 bass lying around for an occasional doodle is not such a waste.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist
I've been reading your question through and I think I now understand it, so all the people who said "OMG SQUIERZ ARE LYKE, FOR N00BS LOLZ AND CLIFF PLAYS T3H RIC SO IT MUST BE T3H PWN", (ok a little over exaggeration but you get what I mean), from the way I see it the TS is asking a very sensible question and I see it like this:

"Should I start straight out on a high end bass, or should I start out like most beginners on bass and get a lower end instrument then work my way up to the Ric."

So my answer is this:

If you really think you'll stick to bass, then invest in the Ric, if you think there's a chance that you might give up then buy the Squier and play on that for a while until you feel ready to upgrade. There's no point in having a £1000 bass lying around and just not getting any use, it's a wasted investment, whereas having a £200 bass lying around for an occasional doodle is not such a waste.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

+1.

While there is no way to compare a squire to a rick, just get what you will need. A high end bass for serious playing, or a cheapo one for doodling around on and maybe some private recording.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
rick vs a squier is a ridiculous question to ask, rick vs a fender is a better question. But still, had i the money, i would no doubt buy a rick. they are great instruments. go rick or sure
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com