i have problom whit f minor barre chord.

when i strum it, it dosent sound so good, but if i play a F# minor barre chord then every string rings clearly, i can play any other of the minor barre chord, it just that if i play it on first freet then it dosent sound good.

anyone having the same problem ?
Sounds like you just need to build your hand strength up.

My son had this snow globe (the kind you shake). One of the pads came off the bottom of it. There are three. I think they are there for traction. Anyways, I took it and glued it to where my thumb is when I play an F barre chord. On the back of the neck. It helped give me some leverage when I press down to play it. Might seem like cheating a little, but it did help me push down harder.

P.S.-It's on my acoustic guitar.
This is simple geometry. When you push down the strings, the strings create an angle between the point you press them down at and the nut. The closer you are to the nut, the steeper the angle of the strings and the harder it is to easily hold down. This is why F# gives you no problems but F does. You just need to build up strength and make sure your barre finger is as close to the fret as possible. All things in due time my friend.
Quote by fafinaf
on acoustic? if so its understandable. Work out those tendons!

nope its on my electric guitar
It's possible that the nut on your guitar wasn't cut correctly and the strings are just too high at the first fret. (it would probably be more than the first fret, but you'd notice it most there)

I'm just thinking that if you don't have a problem with the other bar chords, then you probably shouldn't have much more of a struggle on the first fret...

just as a possibility
Agile AL-3100 (highly recommended)
SX SST57 strat copy
OE30 Hollowbody
SX fretless bass
Epiphone PR-200 acoustic
Yamaha G-40 classical
Epiphone Valve Junior head
1x12 custom cab
4x12 Behringer Half-stack

My Solo Stuff

My Band

Quote by weirdjohn87
It's possible that the nut on your guitar wasn't cut correctly and the strings are just too high at the first fret. (it would probably be more than the first fret, but you'd notice it most there)

I'm just thinking that if you don't have a problem with the other bar chords, then you probably shouldn't have much more of a struggle on the first fret...

just as a possibility

yeah i was think if someting like that too.

but im a newbie so i have to ask n
Quote by weirdjohn87

just as a possibility

I don't think this is necessary to explain Grille's observation. If a too high a nut was involved, you would expect him to complain about wry sounding open chords due to the fretted notes being too sharp in respect to the open strings.
Fade177 explanation covers it all quite nicely, I guess.
I have a similar problem. I just started off with barre chords and i was trying to fret all of the first strings. But no matter what pressure i apply, i just can't fret the 2nd and 3rd strings! It's really frustrating!!! Does this happen to everyone?
You might be trying to hold down the strings with the front of your finger. You want to use the side of your finger. If you roll your finger onto the side you'll notice it's much firmer, it's closer to the bone and more dense. This should allow you to push them all down at once. Also, some people allow their finger to bend a bit, it's somewhat more natural, and eventually you will need to barre a fret and stretch further than 2 frets with your other fingers, the slight bending helps tremendously.
Peace
Yeah, that's right. I do use the front of my finger. I'll try it the way you say... Thanks a ton!