Page 1 of 2
#1
so heres the deal. i cant sweep pick. i see people that have been playing guitar for less than two years do it with ease and i have been playing for 3.5 years. because of this i cant do fast arpeggios. another part of the problem is that i dont do alternate picking. the thing is, i hate alternate picking. i despise it. plus theres another thing. i really like playing metallica and james hetfield is the master of the downstroke. so i figure that i should just continue to work on my downstroke and not bother with the alternate picking. but that still doesnt solve my issue. any help here. please

ps. if this is the wrong area for this thread, NOTIFY ME FIRST before REPORTING IT.
i just got off a 30 day ban and would like to keep my record clean.
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
Last edited by roarinflames at Oct 10, 2007,
#2
Alternate picking is an essential skill, there's no way around that and I seriously advise you get to grips with it and practice it, don't base every aspect of your playing on another player. I don't understand your question entirely though, alternate and sweep picking are completely different things.

Sweep picking is essentially economy picking, you just rake the strings with the pick (basically), whereas alternate picking is an up down up down motion with the pick.

If you want lessons on sweep picking there are plenty of UG articles and a decent video lesson with Marc Seal. Check out all the other sweeping threads for links to cool videos and such like as well.
Last edited by codybcool at Oct 10, 2007,
#3
ive noticed alot of people pull of arpeggios in a sweep style or an alternate style.

my bad i meant to say im having arpeggio issues lol
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
#4
Quote by codybcool
Alternate picking is an essential skill, there's no way around that and I seriously advise you get to grips with it and practice it, don't base every aspect of your playing on another player. I don't understand your question entirely though, alternate and sweep picking are completely different things.

Sweep picking is essentially economy picking, you just rake the strings with the pick (basically), whereas alternate picking is an up down up down motion with the pick.

If you want lessons on sweep picking there are plenty of UG articles and a decent video lesson with Marc Seal. Check out all the other sweeping threads for links to cool videos and such like as well.


yeah i know what they both are.
just have major trouble when i practice it.
i cant keep a steady tempo.
even after practicing for hours.
i mainly have trouble raking the strings at my fretspeed.
i think that might be my main concern.
in the end i could just say **** it and just play rhythm parts.
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
#5
I've been playing 5 years and am only really starting to get to grips with sweeping, so don't worry about that
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
#6
In which case, use a metronome, or www.metronomeonline.com if you don't have one and start off really slow. I'm assuming you know how to use a metronome.

The trick is to gradually increase the tempo, but only once you become comfortable playing cleanly and accurately at a low tempo, such as 60 bpm and increase from there. I know it's a generic reply, but practicing with a metronome is really key to improving your sweeping and making sure you can do it cleanly. Cleanliness > Speed.

And like the guy above says, don't worry about how long you've been playing and not being able to do it, sweeping is a very advanced technique and everyone learns at their own speed.
#7
Quote by loonyguitarist
I've been playing 5 years and am only really starting to get to grips with sweeping, so don't worry about that

i guess it feels better to know im not the only one.
then again i am self taught for 3 years
so for learning everything on my own i think i did pretty well.
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
#8
Quote by codybcool
In which case, use a metronome, or www.metronomeonline.com if you don't have one and start off really slow. I'm assuming you know how to use a metronome.

The trick is to gradually increase the tempo, but only once you become comfortable playing cleanly and accurately at a low tempo, such as 60 bpm and increase from there. I know it's a generic reply, but practicing with a metronome is really key to improving your sweeping and making sure you can do it cleanly. Cleanliness > Speed.

thanks ill give that a shot and post back here with some results.
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
#9
Practice more!! being crap at sumthing is a good thing cus it means your about to get better (if you just keep working at it!)..

Really man you gotta sort out the alternate picking every semi-serious guitarist should be able to alternate pick to a metronome!!! If you dont even have enough control of your picking hand to alternate pick how do you expect to start sweeping away?!

...its about having total control of your picking hand not wether or not you can do one technique or the other. Start with alternate picking, then work on string skipping(alt picked).. then sweeping. You might not use all these techniques in you playing all the time but practicing all of them will develop picking hand control watch the two video's ive mentioned below, pick out exercises you know would be good for you, write a daily practice routine.. after a couple of months re-write your routine so you can progress. After a serious year like that you'll be able to enjoy playing your instrument and not have to worry about techniques anywhere near as much and just have fun writing and learning music & gigging!!

Check out John Petrucci's Rock Disipline and Vinnie Moore's Lead guitar Techniques.

Vinnie Moore's Lead guitar Techniques (hot licks video) would be great for you I think!

Hope that helps, chris.
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him
#10
Synth002
i appreciate youre advice but,
you're being a little too harsh.
my question is similar to "how can i have fun at a club without drinking."
honestly, john petrucci is way out of my league.
i just want to get the basic technique down.
not become a rock god.
because i already enjoy playing the guitar.
and when i said i hate alternate picking, that meant i dont like to use it for arpeggios.
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
#11
Quote by roarinflames
Synth002
i appreciate youre advice but,
you're being a little too harsh.
my question is similar to "how can i have fun at a club without drinking."
honestly, john petrucci is way out of my league.
i just want to get the basic technique down.
not become a rock god.
because i already enjoy playing the guitar.
and when i said i hate alternate picking, that meant i dont like to use it for arpeggios.


Opp's sorry man I assumed you wanted to be a "shredder"/great guitarist from the whole sweeping thread thing lol, if you just want really basic level then just practice the going through motions in an exercise with a metronome..
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him
#12
no problem there
i mean i can always the others if i do change my mind
but ill definetely give that a shot
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
#13
How the hell do you only get by doing downstrokes?

I suggest learning it. It's very important, especially in metal with fast rhythms.
#14
you'de be suprised
i can play downstrokes at about 170 bpm
i usually get up to speed using the thrash ending of "one" by metallica
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
#16
i'll see if i can post an mp3 of it or a video
but back to the main purpose of the thread please
ive already stated that ive been working on my downstrokes for a long time.
which is why i question the fact that i want to learn sweep arpeggios and not just be a rhythm player (obviously my forte).
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
#17
Why not learn as much as you can? Why would you hold yourself back by only sticking to a few techniques?
#18
well i always figured thats what they call developing a style.
i didnt try to hold myself back.
i just was never interested in learning alternate picking.
i always thought my downstroke riffs were a lot heavier and crunchier
lol at that description.
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
Last edited by roarinflames at Oct 10, 2007,
#19
Downstrokes have better tone, but you just can't go as fast as you could if you used alternate picking, not to mention the amount of tension and movement in the right hand is just asking for carpal tunnel. Most guitarists can barely play 16ths at 170 alternate picking (only like 6 guys here in MT counting myself can go very much higher), I don't think we are counting the same way when you say you can do it with only down strokes.
#20
if you want to know why i dont alternate pick often and how i downstroke so fast
i dont actually use a pick.
i play with my index nail.
i know its weird but its givin me alot of speed whilst playing.
i dont know anybody else that does this though.
another thing it helps with is making pinch harmonics simple to perform.


P.S. if you want to reply to this ill get back to it later since i have class
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
Last edited by roarinflames at Oct 10, 2007,
#21
Quote by roarinflames
if you want to know why i dont alternate pick often and how i downstroke so fast
i dont actually use a pick.
i play with my index nail.
i know its weird but its givin me alot of speed whilst playing.
i dont know anybody else that does this though.
another thing it helps with is making pinch harmonics simple to perform.


P.S. if you want to reply to this ill get back to it later since i have class


Dude thats a bit weird... and err not so good lol, dont think you'll be taken all that seriously after that. use a pick! lol
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him
#22
well i am serious about playing guitar.
i do get a better tone out of it then a pick
a lot more control too
yes it is weird
and i do use a pick every once in a while
im just not as precise with a pick.

edit:
so ive tried a metronome for a quiet a bit today and im noticing a temporary difference. im pretty sure its just me getting warmed up. so so far no major improvement. and if anybody has any extra suggestions feel free to post before i just let this thread die off.
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
Last edited by roarinflames at Oct 11, 2007,
#23
Quote by roarinflames
well i am serious about playing guitar.
i do get a better tone out of it then a pick
a lot more control too
yes it is weird
and i do use a pick every once in a while
im just not as precise with a pick.

edit:
so ive tried a metronome for a quiet a bit today and im noticing a temporary difference. im pretty sure its just me getting warmed up. so so far no major improvement. and if anybody has any extra suggestions feel free to post before i just let this thread die off.


You need to get a meronome every day for a decent amount of time, after a month or two you will feel the difference.. not after one go. If your serious about guitar and you ever want to be in any kind of band learn to play properly with a pick & and re-read my original post and start working at it so you can learn to be good. If you don't care about getting good I don't see the point of this thread, it takes some work.
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him
#25
Quote by synth002
You need to get a meronome every day for a decent amount of time, after a month or two you will feel the difference.. not after one go. If your serious about guitar and you ever want to be in any kind of band learn to play properly with a pick & and re-read my original post and start working at it so you can learn to be good. If you don't care about getting good I don't see the point of this thread, it takes some work.

everyone has their differences among others.
so quit trying to make me a robot.
the whole idea of a disguinshed player is to be distinguished from others.
just because 90% of players use a pick.
does not mean i have to.
and the post above is right too.

but if you dont think im a serious player then i guess ill let you know where im at in few years.
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
#27
Quote by muffinman123192
I want to hear these 16th note downstrokes at 170 BPM also.

like i said before ill try to get it in an mp3
i dont have good recording equipment though
so i want to make sure that it's removeable afterward
since i dont want ****ty sounding mp3s on my file
but ill see if i can get it up soon
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
#28
Quote by roarinflames
so heres the deal. i cant sweep pick. i see people that have been playing guitar for less than two years do it with ease and i have been playing for 3.5 years. because of this i cant do fast arpeggios. another part of the problem is that i dont do alternate picking. the thing is, i hate alternate picking.


It might be that you see some who've played for less time doing things that you
can't because they don't hate doing the things that will make them better players.
Just a thought... BTW, sweeps also use upstrokes.
#29
Quote by edg
It might be that you see some who've played for less time doing things that you
can't because they don't hate doing the things that will make them better players.
Just a thought... BTW, sweeps also use upstrokes.

yeah i know what sweep picking is
i know it requires upstrokes.
i said earlier i cant alternate pick arpeggios because i am very inaccurate.
thats the reason i hate alternate picking.
inaccuracy. i am way more accurate and up to tempo at my current status
and the thing is i dont have a reason to use alternate picking since i dont usually play songs faster than 190 bpm.


Edit: wow it sounds like i have an attitude here,lol
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
Last edited by roarinflames at Oct 11, 2007,
#30
sounds like you dont like alternate picking because your bad at it. and thats the real reason. I think your severely limiting your potential as a guitarist by only doing downstrokes. I doubt your going to be able to sweep if you cant do upstrokes accurately.
epiphone les paul standard
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero
-You don't seem to realize that heaven and hell are just delusions created to control the masses through fear and false promises.
#31
Quote by liquidknowledg4
sounds like you dont like alternate picking because your bad at it. and thats the real reason. I think your severely limiting your potential as a guitarist by only doing downstrokes. I doubt your going to be able to sweep if you cant do upstrokes accurately.


did i say i cant upstroke
cause im pretty sure i said i dont like to alternate pick arpeggios

edit: "thats the reason i hate alternate picking.
inaccuracy"
i already said that i wasnt any good at it.
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
#32
Quote by roarinflames
like i said before ill try to get it in an mp3
i dont have good recording equipment though
so i want to make sure that it's removeable afterward
since i dont want ****ty sounding mp3s on my file
but ill see if i can get it up soon


Upload it on Putfile if it isn't removable.
Ben
#33
Quote by muffinman123192
Upload it on Putfile if it isn't removable.

putfile?
please explain
not a ****ing clue here
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
#34
Quote by roarinflames
did i say i cant upstroke
cause im pretty sure i said i dont like to alternate pick arpeggios

edit: "thats the reason i hate alternate picking.
inaccuracy"
i already said that i wasnt any good at it.



yeah and upstrokes are the other part of alternate picking that you cant do "accurately"

seriously man I got alternate picking fast down in like 2 days. Your just so used to not ever doing it that it feels unnatural and its difficult for you, therefor you dont like doing it. I strongly recommend you learn how to alternate pick, just a couple of songs or licks before you attempt sweeping, which is 100 times harder.
epiphone les paul standard
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero
-You don't seem to realize that heaven and hell are just delusions created to control the masses through fear and false promises.
#35
Quote by liquidknowledg4
yeah and upstrokes are the other part of alternate picking that you cant do "accurately"

seriously man I got alternate picking fast down in like 2 days. Your just so used to not ever doing it that it feels unnatural and its difficult for you, therefor you dont like doing it. I strongly recommend you learn how to alternate pick, just a couple of songs or licks before you attempt sweeping, which is 100 times harder.

when i say upstroke i mean
D-------U--------D
which i can do

im no good at this
DUDUDUDUDU

do you understand how i put that
tried to think of another way but

edit: good job on your speed
but every body learns at a different pace
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
#36
Quote by roarinflames
when i say upstroke i mean
D-------U--------D
which i can do

im no good at this
DUDUDUDUDU

do you understand how i put that
tried to think of another way but

edit: good job on your speed
but every body learns at a different pace



you mean you can do gallops? because as far as I know DUD is alternating.

But no I dont really understand. If you can do D U D on the e string I dont see why you cant do D U D U D U.

and yes everyone does learn at different speeds. Speaking of alternate picking, up until a week or so ago, i only did alternate picking starting with downstrokes. So If i played a chord and then started alternate picking, i would always start with a downstroke, even if it wasnt the best way. So im working on getting out of that habit... right now!

But yeah man I didnt want to come off as a dick. Im just getting into sweeping myself, and I have found that being able to alternate pick smootly starting on down and upstrokes makes everything easier, so yeah. but good luck in whatever you do.
epiphone les paul standard
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero
-You don't seem to realize that heaven and hell are just delusions created to control the masses through fear and false promises.
#37
To get alternate picking down and solid, especially when you're used to another method, takes a bit. Just go slowly with a metronome, you'll work your way on up.
~ Gear ~
Epiphone Les Paul
Crate GX-80
Quote by Guitarist132
Finish the quote

"This is _______"
Quote by Aqua Dementia
SPAAAAAAAARRRRTTTAAA! No?
Quote by Guitarist132
Incorrect, the correct answer was papua new guinea

Quote by Aqua Dementia
Whoa, I'm in your sig.
#38
so in a nutshell
this is what i am trying to do
smooth sweep arpeggios
and i am starting to work slowly with it
so that both my hands match speed
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
#39
Quote by roarinflames
so in a nutshell
this is what i am trying to do
smooth sweep arpeggios
and i am starting to work slowly with it
so that both my hands match speed


Good luck. It's a loooooong road.
~ Gear ~
Epiphone Les Paul
Crate GX-80
Quote by Guitarist132
Finish the quote

"This is _______"
Quote by Aqua Dementia
SPAAAAAAAARRRRTTTAAA! No?
Quote by Guitarist132
Incorrect, the correct answer was papua new guinea

Quote by Aqua Dementia
Whoa, I'm in your sig.
#40
Quote by monkeyboyjr
Good luck. It's a loooooong road.

yeah thanks i know itll take awhile
but what skill doesnt take time?
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
Page 1 of 2