My college runs a fundraising project to help build and maintain schools in India, and in order to raise funds me and a few friends have decided to hold a talent contest. The date will most likely be the 18th of December with auditions held on the 20th and 22nd of November. Anyway, for some reason regarding planning we're unable to use the college hall to hold it in and as a result are holding it in a theater down the road. And this is where the problems arise.

The main one is that due to the cost of hiring out the theater for a night we can't afford to also have rehearsals there too. This means that we won't be able to run through the show beforehand to smooth out any problems that might arise - lighting, making sure we can run smoothly from one act to another etc. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone who's had any experience with talent contests - I know there's at least a few of you on UG - could give me any tips on how to overcome this problem of not being able to rehearse, and any other tips that would help to make the rest of the show as watertight as possible. So far I was thinking we'd be able to get the running times of the acts from the acts and so we'd be able to plan out how long it would last so intervals won't be a problem. Unfortunately that's the only idea I've had so far.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
Are you SURE that there aren't any places around that are cheaper?
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Get everybody and their gear together and practise in the college gym or something of the same sorts. before people go up to practise, take down detailed notes on what lighting positions and stuff needed for their act. if you can't get in a few nights ahead of time to have your backstage crew practise setting up gear and lighting, see if a few of the crew can go watch the backstage crew who is there so they learn were stuff is. thats how i got into backstage work.
Also...you could try bargaining with whoever owns what you're renting out.

If you could advertise enough,and perhaps a slight price increase per person to attend,you may be able to still make this work.

Then again,I don't know how much they're charging,or how much you're trying to collect.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Hmmm in revision of what you posted,I just had another idea...

If you're trying to help like you said you are,you could get verification of this,and perhaps a local church or something,or a charity,could help with the costs that are being demanded.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
You sure you can't use a room at your college? At mine we can book one of the rooms held for whatever we need to do, all you have to do is book it in advanced. Plus since you would be doing it somewhat school related they might let you book it if you go through like your student government or office of student affairs.

If you can't you can see if the theater will let you use it for free if you provide some publicity for it and especially if it is more like a bar where they serve stuff they could make money if it is open to the public to come and watch it.