What exactly are noise gates? what one should i get? what makes it better than others?

thanks
EQUIPMENT.
Peavey 5150
Fender Showmaster QBT
Digitech Digidelay
A Noise Gate stops unwanted sounds. For example (like me) you have an overdrive pedal that hisses when you aren't playing. A Noise Gate will get rid of that hiss.

It DOESN'T however cover up for sloppy playing, just incase you thought that.

And obviously, the better the pedal, the more unwanted noise it gets rid of

One of the best (IMO) is the ISP Technologies Decimator
My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR (EMG 85/81)
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce
LOPO Custom 2x12 (Celestion V30s)
You set it to a certain threshold, and it cuts out all when the signal is below that threshold. When a signal gets sent that is above the threshold (aka you playing notes) then the gate opens.

ISP Decimator is usually the standard around here.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
If you can't afford the ISP, the rocktron hush works pretty well.
“In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”
Or maybe a Boss NS-2 if you are really stuck for cash
My Gear:

do they shorten your sustain?
EQUIPMENT.
Peavey 5150
Fender Showmaster QBT
Digitech Digidelay
They may suck your tone a little bit. It depends on the pedal .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Yeah and the threshold you set.

I would get the ISP if I were you, they don't suck tone
My Gear:

could somone link me to a good video that demonstrates the.. greatness of this isp decimator
EQUIPMENT.
Peavey 5150
Fender Showmaster QBT
Digitech Digidelay
i think there are soundclips on the ISP site.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?