I used to anchor with my pinky. 3 months ago, I started playing unanchored. It was fine for a little over a month but after that I started feeling pain all over my right arm. It started from my bicep area, came down to the arm and also to the wrist. I stopped playing for a month and the pain went away. When I started playing again, the pain returned the very next day. I rested for another 2 weeks and Ive started playing now but only 15 min a day. I still feel pain although it has reduced a little.

I saw my doctor and he claims that its some trouble with my URIC ACID which has weakened my bones. MY UA is in the normal range but on the higher side. I think it might have something to do with pulling a muscle while playing guitar.

The pain comes in short bursts and at time it feels as if my hand is completely fine. It usually comes after I use the computer probably because of the position of my hand while holding the mouse.

Any idea what it might be and what I should do? Or do you think the doctor is right and it isnt a muscle pain but something to do with my bone.

Thanks.
please excuse any typos or grammatical errors in the above post.

My Last.fm
If its re-occuring then its probally something with ur bone. I would trust your doctor, and ask him what to do.
*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
i never play anchored, unless it's recent Pumpkins stuff.

unanchored = freedom
SMALL CLONE of the EHX User's Guild

Quote by Ishiga
NOSOUPFORYOU.

Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
this is barely a question. only an idiot would buy a zune.
Quote by powerpiker
If its re-occuring then its probally something with ur bone. I would trust your doctor, and ask him what to do.

Re-occuring as in it happens for some time, then stops, then starts again?

My Last.fm
if is happening for that long, i have experinced some paint in my picking arm but no more than a few days.
*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
http://www.tuneup.com.au/injuries/hand.html

I'd check that site out and maybe ask your doctor if any of those conditions fits what you're experiencing. That aside, I'd take it easy on the playing for a while until you know for sure, that way you don't risk anything more serious that could prevent your playing in the future.
^thanks for the site. Do you think the pain might have anything to do with me unanchoring?

I started it because I read on these forums that its better. I felt a little pain in my bicep area and was told that its just my muscles getting used to it. Its that same pain that has worsened and gone down to my wrist now.

My Last.fm
Sounds like you probably have bad technique and tense up. Your muscles should be completely relaxed at all times.
Try to play anchored for a while just to see if the pain comes again. If not, then is your technique when unanchoring that has some flaws.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS