Hey UG,

Around April I should have around $800-$1000 USD(I know thats a long time but oh well).I'm currently playing an Epiphone Les Paul Special 2,and a Vox AD15vt.

Should I:

A)Buy a new guitar

B)Buy a new amp

C)Split the money half/half

I guess I could probably make my Epi hold out a little longer because I just play at home and jam with friends.But I dont know,a new guitar seems extremely tempting you know?

So give me your opinion on what I should do.

Also if this is in the wrong forum,will a mod please move it!
C, definitely.

What type of music do you play?

...I like the Hong Kong Fooey avatar
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Well, as a general rule, if they both aren't so good, a new amp should come before a guitar. If you can stretch as far as $1000, you should be able to go roughly $600:$400 (more on the amp than the guitar) and get some decent gear. But remember, spending more on the amp would be better. Good amp + alright guitar > great guitar + poor amp.
Well as opposed to what Denthul said, a guitar comes first. It doesn't matter how cool your amp sounds if you're sick of how your guitar feels and plays. It's always better to have a guitar you enjoy and can play well, then you can always get an amp later. Because what's the point in having a 2k amp if you don't want to play anymore?
I didn't say to stick with something you don't like, just don't overspend on the guitar when it's the amp that accounts for a lot more of the tone...
It's a lot easier to get a Squier to sound good through a Hiwatt than it is to get an Alembic to sound good through an MG.

All you need is a cozy neck and a nice joint. You can upgrade the rest later .

Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
u might just want an amp with a few more watts
Quote by boreamor
Thousands upon thousands of people yelling "IcyHot"...

Quote by imdeth
She looks like she has triforces in her eyes...

Quote by Nakon14
*sigh* yet again, only on UG would somebody rush to their computer to tell the pit when their lives or property are in dire trouble.
^^ oooh good one.

^ *slaps* wattage does not mean better!
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by naedman

Wattage should be one of the last things you should consider when buying an amp.
Quote by utsapp89
you could take your LP in for a set up, maybe do some mods on it. after all, if you didn't like the guitar to begin with, you wouldn't have got it. you could have settled for one of those squire beginer packs. so do that for now and spend most of your money on a better amp. you can get decent pickups on ebay for not too much money, all day long.... so long as someone else isn't trying to outbid you.
You can get a really good guitar for less than $500 if you take your time and shop around. Stay away from crappy trems, get a good hard-tail with some passable pickups. Micheal Kelly Patriots go for about $385 (I think) for example. That leaves about $600 for a really good used tube combo. I think you would be happy. A new Peavey Valveking 50 112 new is $449, B52 60 watt 112 is a little over $600. Presto, great rig and great sound. Just some examples. Nice Agiles (Rondo music), decent Epi G400, etc. Go used on a guitar and maybe get a better deal.
I play stuff like Dream Theater,Racer X,X Japan,and some heavier stuff like Death,and Emperor.

I actually quite like my guitar,but I've had it for about 3 years and I think it might be time to get something better.I could do some mods,and use it until I got a job in a few years.The neck and body wood arent bad,basswood and maple I think.
Last edited by Galapogos at Oct 10, 2007,
Ok a little bit of life advice from an old fart. If you don't have a job you should spend as little as possible. Keep the Vox its ok for a practice amp, and get a $300 guitar. You'd be surprised how good a guitar you can get in that price range. That way you can be happier as a guitar player and put some money in the bank. Spending money without a job may not be the wisest course. Unless you decide to gig let it go for a while.
Well I'm 13 so a job isn't an option.If I could get one I would,but child labor laws tell me no.
Quote by FacingUsAll
Wattage should be one of the last things you should consider when buying an amp.

no.

someone who will gig doesn't look at 5 watt valve juniors...
it's also important IMO.
wattage definitely matters.

but the guy's comment was nonsensical though.
Last edited by The red Strat. at Oct 10, 2007,
^ yeah, but he was replying to this:

Quote by naedman

which is implying that (s)he'd be happier with a bigger amp. which isn't true. in this case, a 5watt VJ might be better.

edit: ah i see your edit now ha.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
He didn't say it didn't matter. But he's right. You should look for things like tone and suitability first, then wattage. After all, you can get away with playing small gigs using a 15 watt amp if you do it right

I'd rather get a lower wattage amp that had awesome tone and have a little bit of a battle to gig with it than get a higher wattage one that didn't sound as good as I wanted it to sound.

Edit: Slightly late... xD
Quote by The red Strat.
no.

someone who will gig doesn't look at 5 watt valve juniors...
it's also important IMO.
wattage definitely matters.

but the guy's comment was nonsensical though.

I didn't say it wasn't important. I just said it's one of the last things you should consider . That other guy made it seem like it's all that mattered.

You can gig with a 5 watt valve junior through a PA...

EDIT: Looks like I got beaten to the punch .
Quote by utsapp89
No harm, no foul.

Quote by utsapp89
What are your opinions on these rigs?

Schecter Gryphon+B-52 AT 1x12=$950USD

Or

Ibanez SA260M+B-52 AT 1x12=$900USD

Or

Ibanez SZ320EX+B-52 1x12=$1,020USD
i would go with the gryphon. schecter = good for cheap. also some of the smaller fender tube amps aren't that much. or build an 18 watt plexi kit if you have some soldering skills.
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery