Hey, I'm going to get a recording interface for my PC, i have a choice of three that I like they are all fairly cheap but do the job better than me going into a tascam tape deck from the 80s and into a laptop!

http://www.soundcontrol.co.uk/mod_1/pages/mod_1.12/pages/mod_1.12.1/pages/mod_1.12.1.1/pages/index.php?sku=1.1.1.4.4-14-11961#

Wouldnt use the distortion or amp modles or the speaker sims but the vocal pre-amps and maybe the bass sections would be usefull

http://www.soundcontrol.co.uk/mod_1/pages/mod_1.9/pages/index.php?request=full_review&sku=1.1.5.2.1-107-13381

the cheaper option but that makes me wonder how good it is?

http://www.soundcontrol.co.uk/mod_1/pages/mod_1.12/pages/mod_1.12.1/pages/mod_1.12.1.1/pages/index.php?sku=1.1.5.2.1-79-16522
the middle of the road option.

Obviously i can use the tascam tape deck as a mixer if need be so i dont need to worry about inputs, the line 6 seems the most promising though.....

What are your opinions? which one should i get for recording straight up rock music?
I have a UX2 and it's pretty decent.

Will you be recording the whole band or just laying down track by track? The UX2 only records 2 tracks at a time (only one of which can be a guitar).

The KB37 is probably a better choice if you're just going to do a "one man band" type dealie.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Both, TBH.

I can use a mixer if need be.

I usually record bass and drums together and then guitar on its own then the vocals and finally over dubs.

could you give me more of an insight to the tone port? what are the effects and vocal pre amps like?
Everything takes a bit of tweaking to sound good, but the Gearbox software is very easy to use. The effects aren't too bad (although you can get them to sound very digital ). It's not very organic sounding, but a mastering can always make up for things like that.

I'm not a fan of the Ableton software that came with it, so I ended up buying Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio, which was as good investment.

Do you have a mixer already?
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Oct 10, 2007,
I think that depends more on the software you are using, but I *believe* that the Ableton Live let you do that. I know I can do it with Sonar.

The UX2 has line inputs for mixers too.

Quote by utsapp89
Quote by The_0thersid3
I can get pro tool or cubase, i have audacity as well so i should be ok software wise!

cheres for the help mate!

NP .

What amp do you have?

If you have decent gear, you may want to consider getting a bigger mixer that plugs into your computer. I'm looking at a Phonic Helixboard Firewire 18.
Quote by utsapp89
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Oct 10, 2007,
Currently using a marshall DSL ( nice cleans for a marhsall! - dodgy overdrives, have to tweak them to be perfect ) a fender strat ( mia ) and dont use pedals really, a bit of delay and wah but thats it really.

what do u mean by a bigger mixer? instead of an interface?
Just a mixer that has more inputs and can be used as an interface.

Phonic Helix Board 18 FireWire MKII.
Quote by utsapp89
I'm back .

If you can save up some extra cash, you could think about getting the UX 8.

You should be ok with just the UX2/KB37 and your little mixer. I just think the fact that you can only record 2 inputs at a time kind of handcuffs the creativity a bit.

The UX 8 would allow you to play around with re-amping, also. I find that I waste a lot of time re-amping and never become very satisfied, but maybe I'm old school like that.

Quote by utsapp89
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Oct 11, 2007,
Ill try and scrape the Ux8 the KB37 dosnt have any other features that id actually use so.

whats the diff between the Ux2 and 8?

any more people have some thing to say? it just seems like me and facingusall are the only people interested?
The UX8 is basically a mixer with the Gearbox software and plugin with it.
Quote by utsapp89