Does anyone know of any websites or books that are good for a beginner guitarist? I just recently bought an Ibanez and don't know too much, although I try to practice every day or so...
Last edited by brolie3 at Oct 10, 2007,
well, what id do is check out the lessons on this site
learn to read tab and get going

once you feel comfortable playing u shoukld try to learn music theory and take lessons
Quote by yawn
It just occurred to me that UG attracts a lot of socially isolated male teenagers with questionable psychological dispositions.

Quote by I'm_Guitarded
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but Whip and Chains Excite Me!!

Got'em!
cyberfret.com is alright for a free site. If your completely new to music as a whole, a teacher may be useful. Just learn tabs and stuff from this site and you'll figure out chords etc. Oh and download power tab - so much better than normal tabs
personally id say steer clear of a qualified teacher, they teach you how to play like them and everyone needs their own style. Books, chord sheets and tabs to begin with, build up your general knowledge of the guitar, wee touch of music theory and hey presto you've been playing more than half your life and you still enjoy it
Grammar Nazi.
Quote by kerrang
personally id say steer clear of a qualified teacher, they teach you how to play like them and everyone needs their own style.

Yeah, only get a teacher who plays a style you want to play. I really have to force myself not to play every solo in the pentatonic minor blues scale, since thats all my old teacher played. If you get a teacher who gets you to play in a style you dont play it takes forever to get out of it
I would definitley reccomend getting an experienced guitar teacher

And just get them to teach you what they think is best at first
And/Or if you know what you want to do, they'll do whatever you want them to

Guitar Books are also great to get and work on them with your teacher at lessons

I guess some guitar lessons online might help
but from my experience there are very few good ones
and only knowledge from the internet is just not going to cut it.
Quote by kerrang
personally id say steer clear of a qualified teacher, they teach you how to play like them and everyone needs their own style.

I've heard this from a couple of people

but personally I wasn't influenced by my first or current guitar teacher's style at all
so don't let that be a deciding factor as you might not even encounter this problem,

In fact they can be good for some extra motivation to practice your scales and important things like that (unless your one of the greatest guitarists on the planet, the only way to shred/improvise, is to learn the all your scales)

PS. A good way to avoid that problem is to change between teachers every two-three years.
Last edited by tom-the-lawn at Oct 10, 2007,
I would learned how to read music. Anybody can learn how to read tab but reading music is a very good talent to have. Develope a good sense of timing and accuracy, play to a Metronome. Don't just learn parts of songs. Learn the entire song minus the solo's, solos can be hard to master when your a beginner. Listen to a variety of music which will influence you and allow you to develope your own style. Pratice standing up as well as sitting down. I would recommend a music instuctor because they really notice the mistakes a person can make. Learning how to play the right way from the beginning is alot easier than trying to relearn everything over again. Learn about scales, chord progressions, and all that fun stuff. Memorize all the notes on the fretboard. Just a few tips, hope they help
And Crazyj had some good points

Learning how to read music is definitley a good skill to learn, although I didnt start learning so until recently (this is my 4th year of playing guitar),

or even if you just learn where all the notes are on guitar, or at least in the first position for starters
Quote by AcousticSin11
What is a good music theory book for a person with almost no knowledge?

can't give you a title off the top of my head but i'm sure you'd find 15 perfect ones at borders. maybe the idiots guide to music theory.
Matt Smith's chop shop is a great theory book, but it assumes you already have some general guitar knowledge first.

Get to know your basic open chords (G,D,C,Am,E,Em,B) and a few songs. It also helps to learn basic scales like the chromatic. Make sure to learn the notes on the fretboard, not just fret numbers. It helps a ton down the road.

As songs go, I'd suggest just about any Green Day song for powerchords, Wish you were here (Floyd) for basic chords and soloing technique, and More than a Feeling (Boston) to combine the two. Once you have those down, you'll have a better idea of what to delve into next.
Thank you for the comments everyone!

Sorry, that first post was very uninformative i think...

I am not new to music by any means. I took up trumpet for like, a few months (lol) and completly erased that from my mind, but I am a singer, so I have good pitch and rythm, and I am pretty good at sight-singing, which can easily translate into sight-playing im sure. I have learned how to read tabs and know how to do some chords.

I would like to know if there are any specific guitar books good for someone in my situation and any pointers you can give me on learning to make chord progressions faster and more percise... Although I think I know the answer, I just don't want to admit it (Practice, practice, practice)

In addition, any good exercises to limber my fingers and test my speed and accuracy? I've been doing basic scales and my friend recently taught me a blues scale (1-4-1-2-3-1-3-1-3-4-1-4-1-4)
Last edited by brolie3 at Oct 12, 2007,
This site seems like an excellent resource for you to start with.
I have just set up a website for beginners as you can see from my profile.

I would be interested to hear what you think?