Poll: which?
Poll Options
View poll results: which?
roland cube 60
9 47%
vox ad 50 vt
10 53%
Voters: 19.
Well, im getting a new amplfier, i decided between a roland cube 60 and a vox ad 50 vt
I'm definately interested in built in effects, so the roland was the first thing i looked into, but the vox has all that and more, but you can't adjust them.
Anyway, what do you think i'd be better off with, thanks
Cannibal corpse, Lamb of god, Korn, Motorhead, Suffocation, Soulfly, Sepultura but i would benefit from a good clean tone aswell.
The Cube would probably be better then, since it's supposed to do metal better, though I haven't had a chance to test them side-by-side. Personally, out of the two, I prefer the Vox, but people complain that it can't get heavy enough for their needs, so you should probably take that into consideration.
You could get a low watt (around 15 or 30 I guess) tube amp and a metal pedal and it will sound way better than the Cube.
well I've tried the Cube and it was fairly good for metal, but for the money something like a Peavey Valve King 112 would be better run for you buck, it's only 430, vrs 350 on cube, it may not have a reputation for extreeme metal, but it can do it without a pedal, but it is advised to use a little bit of a pedal, as it is easier to get more the tone you want especially with an EQ, because you can get rid of certain frequences that make it sound not so good depending what you play
^ problem is, in the UK the cube is quite a bit cheaper than the VK... i think the cube 60 is around £150 or so, while the VK is £300...

also, some people think the VK sucks for metal, and others think it's fine. need to try, basically. Certainly worth considering.

If you can't get up to the VK's price, I'd probably go with the cube out of those two...

EDITED: because I got mixed up in prices... the cube is less than half the price of the VK, so I'm guessing the threadstarter can't get up to that...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
for those degrees of metal the VK wouldnt cut it alone, with an OD probably. i say the VK would get you as far as metallica

to dave: the ad 50 vt which he is also considering is around £200, £300 may not be too big a stretch.

worth looking on ebay too for one, or an ashdown fallen angel. i can;t remember the price of the randall rg50tc but it could be worth a look too
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ problem is, in the UK the cube is quite a bit cheaper than the VK... i think the cube 60 is around £150 or so, while the VK is £300...

also, some people think the VK sucks for metal, and others think it's fine. need to try, basically. Certainly worth considering.

If you can't get up to the VK's price, I'd probably go with the cube out of those two...

EDITED: because I got mixed up in prices... the cube is less than half the price of the VK, so I'm guessing the threadstarter can't get up to that...

ahhh, the 112 or the 212 you mean =P I always thought the 112 was £210 but its all good

the cube isn't bad, just can sound a bit weird sometimes, and at times other amps were better, but give it time and the next few newer models in the next few years will make the cube sound better in due time, but still tube has the dice

but you'd be better off Cube 60 as tubes can be kind of expensive amps, unless you play well
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
worth looking on ebay too for one, or an ashdown fallen angel. i can;t remember the price of the randall rg50tc but it could be worth a look too

£369 from GAK for the RG50TC

But it'd probably be worth saving up for. I've heard good things about it
Quote by hardcoredarrell
ahhh, the 112 or the 212 you mean =P I always thought the 112 was £210 but its all good

the cube isn't bad, just can sound a bit weird sometimes, and at times other amps were better, but give it time and the next few newer models in the next few years will make the cube sound better in due time, but still tube has the dice

but you'd be better off Cube 60 as tubes can be kind of expensive amps, unless you play well

yeah, even the 112 is £300 here... peavey aren't the best value in the UK, being US-made (apart from the peavey windsor studio... supposedly it's going to be a straight conversion from the US price, though it hasn't been released yet). stuff over here is generally over-priced, it's rarely a straight conversion to pounds... if he had his budget in the US, he could definitely afford a VK. or at least be close enough that it might beworth saving the extra $40 or so.

And yeah, i know what you mean about the cubes- they can sound a little sterile, but if metal is your main genre, that can actually help. plus i'd rather have sterile than muddy, if push came to shove...

the randall rg50tc would be another option, but it's up to £369... I mean if you keep increasing the budget like this, soon we'll be recommending he just suck it up like a man and go for a soldano SLO or a diezel or something...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
which would be awesome, might I add.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Vox is the better amp imo, but the cube is better for what you want. Speaking from experience I dont feel that you get a very good distorted tone from the Vox, and I have heard the cube is much better at that.
Gear:
Ibanez SA260FM
Ibanez AWD83
Boss GT8
Boss RC20-XL
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
For your needs: Cube
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Vox VT-XL is what you need for metal...It has way more gain than the standard VT....
yeah saving up for a soldano is a good idea , but if you're like me you'll be there for at least a year. my parents near fell over their jaws when i said i was buying a near £500 amp, imagine their faces if i were to buy a roadking

teh Vox AD30VT XL is also worth a look. I've yet to try one out but I would imagine it'll be less sterile than the cube
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

and to add to that he will save $1,000,000 for a signiture Tube amp

you could just take a vacation to the US and have it Fed Ex air shipped then trucked to your house I duno may be cheaper or same price otherwise

but you'll probally just get the cube 60
the cube has a way better tone and overall is a better, more rounded amp.

As for the Valveking: Anyone who says they can't get a decent metal tone out of it needs to turn down the suck, seriously any more distortion than a maxed VK is way to muddy and incomprehensible to even listen to. (I mean really if you need that much disto. to cover up bad playing chain 3 or 4 metal zones together please)

Option #2 is to get a Valve Junior and with the money left over you could get a nice multi-effect.
Last edited by Kayfan at Oct 10, 2007,
Quote by hardcoredarrell
and to add to that he will save $1,000,000 for a signiture Tube amp

you could just take a vacation to the US and have it Fed Ex air shipped then trucked to your house I duno may be cheaper or same price otherwise

but you'll probally just get the cube 60

customs and postage would be the killer, plus you'd need a step-down transformer...

probably just as cheap to buy it here, haha.

yeah, cube 60 sounds good.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?