Hey, So lately I've really been considering taking the next step and purchasing a 7 String. I'm thinking of getting a custom one made but the thing is I really don't want a locking nut because I have one on my Ibanez and its a pain in the ass. The thing is though, I'm skeptical about whether or not I should do this because I heard that 7 strings go out of tune often.

So basically my question is whether or not I need some sort of locking nut on my 7 string because I really don't want one, or will the problem of it going out of tune not be that bad and will not require me do get a locking nut?

Thanks
My Gear:
Ibanez RG 370DX
Ibanez TS9Dx
Marshall Dsl 401

Quote by Draind
i've had my eye on the mesa boogie line, my price range is under $600.

Quote by batman123
maybe you could buy a picture of one for 600, and just pretend for awhile...

Well, locking tuners, a graphite nut, and a well constructed guitar should stay in tune VERY well.

see: Carvin.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
7 string is just one more string man, they don't go out of tune more or less than a 6 string. It all depends on the individual guitar.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
a cheap 7 string will go out of tune just as often as a cheap 6 string. you should be more concerned what you would actually need an extra string for. is it just to get a low B? a 6 string with 13-56 can tune down that low quite easily. otherwise, if you feel you'll actually use the entire range, then a 7 would be a good way to go.